Poll: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
Yes, it was part of the required curriculum in primary and/or secondary school.
Yes, in an elective course in primary and/or secondary school.
Yes, but not until post-secondary school. It was required for my major.
Yes, but not until post-secondary school. It was not required for my major.
Only briefly when it was relevant to the course material in primary and/or secondary school.
Not until post-secondary school, but only briefly when it was relevant to the course material.
I had the option in primary and/or secondary school, but never took it.
I only had the option once I got to post-secondary school, but I never took it.
Barely, or not at all.
[Show Results]

Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 08:52 PM
RE: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies?
(23-05-2016 06:23 PM)cactus Wrote:  I was watching some of the Crash Course Philosophy videos, and the content of those shows blew my fucking mind. I was like, "Seriously? No way are people actually learning this stuff in school." I'm SO jealous of anyone who got to be exposed to concepts like theodicity, epistemology, Pascal's Wager, or even just formal concepts in critical thinking and logical fallacies while they were in school. I had to find all this shit on my own, and I was definitely never even remotely exposed to it in a classroom setting.

I'm going to check out the Crash Course videos now, thanks for sharing.

I only took two philosophy classes in college and I went to an art college so it focused a lot on the philosophy of art and expression. I had to study religious/secular philosophy on my own as well as theology and I did learn a lot of world history which deals with religion in high school but I still studied on my own afterwards. It would be cool to see more schools teaching these subjects but they'd have to teach secularism and I went to high school in a smaller city in Oklahoma and there is no way that was going to happen.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
No. Only in college. In theory one could choose ethics lessons in place of religion but theory isn't same thing as practice.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2016, 11:33 PM
RE: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
I took world religions in my second semester of college. I think technically the first college course I signed up for was Mythology which sure touched on the subject boundary as that was what I was clearly into thinking about and learning more out of.

I don't think my highschool had any type of option for that but there might of been an option.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-05-2016, 11:52 PM
I never did growing up in the 70's and 80's. Not in high school nor in college. My daughter had to take a class called Christian Worldview in her second semester at college but it is a Christian college. She said it was an interesting class that compared the Christian worldview to other philosophies.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
24-05-2016, 04:37 AM
Re:
I'm Greek and nope. Nothing at all. Every single religious course in school is about the Orthodox church and why it's the right religion. Their purpose is pure catechism and brain washing.

That is why there is now a law saying that one can bring a paper signed by their parents that they do not wish to attend the course if they are not Christian. Let me also mention that every attempt to enforce this law has been met with outrage from the church.

The minister of education wanted to change the law so that the course is either a secular study of all religions or simply abolished.

A high ranking priest reacted to that, saying during an Easter ceremony something like "may Jesus make his hand rot if he signs such atheistic legislations and may the meat atheists eat during lent turn into poison and pierce their stomachs". My only hope in this world is that the Christians in the ceremony reacted negatively to that, with a woman stepping up and shouting "that is not love!", to which he replied, angrily, "I know love better than you!"

Greece, 2016

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
24-05-2016, 04:54 AM
I grew up near Chicago and went to a Catholic grade school. So for that part it was, obviously, a required class. Tongue
High school and college were both public/secular, so at that point I only learned about what was incidental to other studies, like cultural history.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
24-05-2016, 06:45 AM
I started school in first grade in a Seventh-Day-Adventist grade school. Second grade found me at public school, 4th grade back at the church school and 5th as well then public school for 6th and church school for 7th, back to public school for 8th grade and for 9th grade I went to a boarding school for the same religion, 10th grade the same, 11th in public school since I had managed purposely to get myself expelled from the church's school, but for 12th grade I went back to the boarding academy since I didn't have enuff credits to graduate if I had stayed in public school since the credits I had earned in Old Testament history, New Testament history, Bible doctrines and a couple more didn't count in real life. I did some college, but always at public schools and took no religious indoctrination classes at that level.
28-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Religious Education (RE) is what we got in Scotland when I was at school. That would have during the 1980s. Don't remember anything other than it constantly being implied that it was normal to be religious & abnormal not to be religious. But then again this is Scotland, specifically the West of Scotland. Where there are only two types of School, Catholic and non-denominational. Otherwise known as Catholic and Protestant Schools. I went to a "Protestant" non-denominational school!

This is where I'm really quite envious of the USA written constitution that legally prevents the state funding of religious schools!
28-05-2016, 01:51 PM
I was schooled by German nuns. Nuf said. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-05-2016, 02:04 PM
I went to a Catholic high school (in the US). I think it was in my junior year when they started offering 'World Religions'. IIRC it was a half year class and I don't remember learning much of anything in it. But then the priest that taught it was a special kind of strange...I had him for English Lit the year before and don't recall leaning anything much in that class either.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat