Poll: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
Yes, it was part of the required curriculum in primary and/or secondary school.
Yes, in an elective course in primary and/or secondary school.
Yes, but not until post-secondary school. It was required for my major.
Yes, but not until post-secondary school. It was not required for my major.
Only briefly when it was relevant to the course material in primary and/or secondary school.
Not until post-secondary school, but only briefly when it was relevant to the course material.
I had the option in primary and/or secondary school, but never took it.
I only had the option once I got to post-secondary school, but I never took it.
Barely, or not at all.
[Show Results]

Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2016, 02:09 PM
RE: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
I had one as a GE class in college. Dose that count? High School no.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
Nope; no philosophy of religions at all. I went to a government primary school in Australia, and it was common in all of them to have what was called "religious instruction" as standard. Our school had weekly visits from a Methodist deaconess.

At assembly every morning, we'd all gather in the schoolyard near the flagpole, and after the flag was run up by the so-called flag monitor—chosen principally for his ability to suck up to the teachers—we'd all chant this bullshit:

"I love God and my country/I honour the flag/I will serve the Queen/and cheerfully obey my parents, teachers and the law."

In the 1940s and 50s all Victorian [sic] state-run schools, both primary and secondary, were nominally Christian based as far as ethics went—although the Roman Catholic kids (micks) tended to be regarded as 2nd-class citizens back then.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
28-05-2016, 03:35 PM
RE: Did you have philosophy of religion?
My grade school was public school in Canada. The closest anybody ever got to religion was some minor mention during the archeology component of history class.

Almost every college has a religious studies program of some sort and I could have taken a course as an elective but never seriously considered it. Few people do. They're typically considered bird courses. The closest that I got was some history of the early Christian church in a Roman Republic and Empire course that I took as an elective.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
29-05-2016, 12:59 PM
RE: Did you have philosophy of religion or neutral/secular religious studies in school?
I went to a private, loosely-protestant high school. We had one semester of History which was basically Comparative Religion, with no emphasis on one or the other. Took field trips to local churches for talks by the heads-of-those-churches - Catholic, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Greek Orthodox, and Reformed Jewish. I was most impressed by the rabbi, but none of them set my world on fire.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
31-05-2016, 10:33 AM
(28-05-2016 02:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I went to a Catholic high school (in the US). I think it was in my junior year when they started offering 'World Religions'. IIRC it was a half year class and I don't remember learning much of anything in it. But then the priest that taught it was a special kind of strange...I had him for English Lit the year before and don't recall leaning anything much in that class either.

Very similar experience for me. The guy who taught our world religions class was not a priest (we called him "Mr. ___ ______"), but he was a little different. He had a beard and rode a motorcycle. This would have been 1970 or 1971. I thought of him as a hippie. One of our assignments was to go talk to a tree and write an essay about it. He also had us write haikus in class one day. It was an interesting class, especially in the context of a Catholic high school.

Continent/country would be North America/USA (specifically southern Wisconsin).
31-05-2016, 01:02 PM
There was no religious education in my schools in Alberta as far as I can recall. The public school system was heavily influenced by a Jewish educationalist by the name of Carl Safran so there was no Christian education in schools. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Safran