Did you know there were extremist Mennonites?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Did you know there were extremist Mennonites?
A FATHER locked his 21-year-old son in a tiny wooden BOX — as punishment for stealing chickens.

In the basement of his home in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, Johan Knelsen lived in the 10ft-by-6ft filing cabinet-style cage for eight weeks before police arrived.

His father, David Knelsen, a Canadian, told authorities his son was mentally ill and needed punishing for taking three chickens.

Local media reported Johan was also in his father's bad books for using a phone.

The family is part of a certain Mennonite denomination which strictly interprets the Bible and shuns the use of technology.

When Johan was released from the box, police found it crammed with pillows and urine-filled bottles.

Johan said: "I went out, and when I came back they were angry with me here at home. Some people tied me up and put me in here, eight weeks ago.

"I ate and slept here. I did everything here. I ate and drank water and washed here."

The prosecution lawyer handling the case said locking someone up like that was against the law.

Ever Merida added: "It is not permitted that a boy is physically and psychologically tortured inside a jail. It is in total violation of Bolivian law."

Under orders from police, Johan's father opened the box and helped the young man to his feet.

There are dozens of Mennonite settlements in the rich lowlands of eastern Bolivia.

In 2009, eight men from a Mennonite community where arrested in Bolivia and accused of raping at least 60 women in their farming settlement.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/364...weeks.html

Yeah, I know, it's The Sun. Still.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2011, 07:21 PM
RE: Did you know there were extremist Mennonites?
The quaintest beliefs can be taken awry, there are going to be terrible examples of every ideology. Mennonites are generally not that dangerous, but you know it has to happen sometimes. I bet that community is watched by the cops for a while.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
18-06-2011, 03:05 AM
I hope that the father will rot in jail for a very long time, maybe that will show him the love God has for him as he had for his own son.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
22-06-2011, 12:55 PM
My father in law is from such a community. He left when he was 16. I hear stories that make me cringe Sad The colony he is from is in Belize, and he has some (from his 16) siblings that live in Bolivia, maybe the same colony in the story. My father in law has come a far far way from where he grew up. I imagine this happens out of pure ignorance and no education (kids are lucky to get to about grade 5 before they have to work). This father from the story is probably sooo confused. At what point are beliefs okay and at what point should a society step in to correct some hurtful damaging practices before more happen? Sad
22-06-2011, 01:32 PM
No No I didn't.

Oh wait yes I did. I live in Abbotsford BC, CANADA. Home of the mennonites. I live with some currently, although not nearly as bad as that or I'd be F'ed.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user