Did your school teach evolution in science class?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2015, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 07:53 AM by nerwin.)
Did your school teach evolution in science class?
Looking back, I'm really glad any of the schools I went to had zero religious affiliations, the only religious stuff I remember during school was in history class and that was only about religions that had a major role in world history. Pretty sure my history teacher in high school was an atheist.

Anyways, I remember science classes in both elementary, middle and high school and they were great classes and learned a lot, but the day they taught us about evolution was really funny because I remember some students left the class because they didn't believe in evolution and some parents pulled their kids (even in high school!) from that class period because they didn't want their child to be brainwashed which offended the teacher. As expected I excelled in that class and that it was great learning about how we homo sapiens became to be.

Did any of you experience something like this during your school years?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Star RE: Did your school teach evolution in science class?
yes, it was taught.
no, I don't recall there being any problem with it. No one pulled from class.

I don't think anyone was pulled from the high school sex ed classes either. It was a requirement of health class.

I went to public school in PA, class of '85. I now live in the south and its taught here in public schools. So far, my experience has been that students stay in class, but some parents probably discount the info. it seems to create discussions, but not all teachers will set the record straight, which is a shame.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-01-2015, 08:37 AM
RE: Did your school teach evolution in science class?
The first time it was brought up for me was when I was a sophomore in high school in 1980. They didn't hammer on about it. I don't think there were any atheists in that school (Northeastern Colorado). The football coach, who taught biology, just spoke about 15 minutes on it, I think, and presented it as a theory of how lifeforms developed on earth.

It's only much more recently that evolution has become such a big deal, and I for one never understood that. Because the whole idea of natural selection implies a kind of order on the universe anyway. It's actually really hard to just hold a "chaotic" opinion about anything in this world. So, evolution, I've never understood how it is that it "Kills God." It might kill a strict interpretation of Genesis, but it really says nothing about atheism or theism at all. It's simply an observation we make about our world.

No one's even sure that it's a complete theory. I mean there are some really complicated lifeforms on the planet. It seems a bit much to put all of that development onto the process of evolution. It just strains it. One would expect lifeforms to die out way way before adapting to their environments through a purely chaotic natural selection. Personally, I would be more intellectually satisfied if someone proposed that intelligent aliens had help our evolution.

Could it just be evolution? Sure. But if someone wins a lottery over and over, it starts straining the idea of luck being involved.

I guess for uncompromising atheists, there's a lot at stake. If evolution is a strictly chaotic form of natural selection, then there doesn't "have" to be a God, at least not for the formation of life on earth, which is one of humanities greatest mysteries. If there's order in evolution, it almost necessitates something like a God being in charge of it. Of course that still leaves the problems of abiogenesis, or why there's a process of natural selection at all (which is still kind of imposing a logic on top of a chaotic universe).

Frankly, I think atheists have to be as dogmatic about chaos-only evolution as bible-thumpers do about a 6000 year old earth, and it's just not a strong enough science to support that level of commitment.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2015, 08:53 AM
(04-01-2015 08:37 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Could it just be evolution? Sure. But if someone wins a lottery over and over, it starts straining the idea of luck being involved.

Atheism and Evolution have nothing to do with each other. Your idiotic statement just proves you have no clue how Evolution works. Now instead of fucking preaching about it Gordo-the-Dumbshit, how about ADDRESS THE SUBSTANCE of the chemistry, the methodology and the SCIENCE ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-01-2015, 09:09 AM
I was taught it twice, in 6th grade, every one ignored it, including me. 9th grade we just enjoyed it. I had a friend who said the skipped it all together because everyone in her class was creationist. I was shocked but then I realized 'murica.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
04-01-2015, 09:11 AM
I can't recall if evolution was discussed specifically but I know that creation was only discussed as a biblical story and not as a scientific fact.

Maybe my Catholic schools were a bit more evolved...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-01-2015, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 09:22 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-01-2015 09:11 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I can't recall if evolution was discussed specifically but I know that creation was only discussed as a biblical story and not as a scientific fact.

I can't recall ever hearing anything OTHER than Evolution being taught, and they were ALL religiously affiliated until I got to Cal Tech. In 2015 only the seriously retarded teach anything else.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-01-2015, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 09:52 AM by Gordon.)
(04-01-2015 08:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  how about ADDRESS THE SUBSTANCE of the chemistry, the methodology and the SCIENCE ?

Yeah.Blink

You'll excuse me if I don't watch two hours worth of YouTube videos you posted. But your hostile response just shows you need more from evolution than you're ever going to get.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
(04-01-2015 09:18 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 08:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  how about ADDRESS THE SUBSTANCE of the chemistry, the methodology and the SCIENCE ?

Yeah.Blink

You'll excuse me if I don't watch two hours worth of YouTube videos you posted. But you're hostile response just shows you need more from evolution than you're ever going to get.

There IS no excuse for you Gordo. It's *your* hostile response, deary, not "you're". You see deary, when you actually go to school, teacher will explain when to use "your" and "you're", (Mr. Supposed Jebus Gospel Writer". Sadcryface2 ... Laugh out load )
Now I do get that asking for a request that you address the SUBSTANCE of an argument, instead of your usual crap "reports" is considered "hostile" to your (that's a little hint for you Eddy), religious nut-jobs who actually know NOTHING about science, probability and how it actually all works, but thanks for playing, and proving you actually have no clue about what Evolution posits about the way things work.

Education actually takes work and time, L'll Eddy. You actually have to LEARN something from someone, instead of just re-writing old books and telling yourself you're one of the few who did that.

04-01-2015, 09:31 AM
(04-01-2015 09:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 09:11 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I can't recall if evolution was discussed specifically but I know that creation was only discussed as a biblical story and not as a scientific fact.

I can't recall ever hearing anything OTHER than Evolution being taught, and they were ALL religiously affiliated until I got to Cal Tech. In 2015 only the seriously retarded teach anything else.

Well, you have to realize that I went to school back in the stone ages. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post