Did your school teach evolution in science class?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2015, 09:34 AM
RE: Did your school teach evolution in science class?
I can't actually remember being taught evolution specifically, but I imagine it must have been in there. My biology teacher wasn't very good, but there were no religious elements. And I heard no objections about that.

I think it's retarded parents can pull their kids out of science class. What if I made a religion where maths was evil or something? Can I pull my kids out of maths class?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
04-01-2015, 09:45 AM
We were taught evolution, but it wasn't in-depth since it was 6th or 7th grade. No one pulled their kids out. That was surprising, too. What I remember most was that we had to write a paper arguing the other side of the issue. That is, if you were a creationist you had to argue against it, and vice versa. Being a good little Christian boy, that meant I, like everyone else in the class, would write arguing against it.

I was the only one who got a good grade. She told the class she wouldn't give the name of the student, but she would read it to the class.
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2015, 09:50 AM
(04-01-2015 09:34 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I can't actually remember being taught evolution specifically, but I imagine it must have been in there. My biology teacher wasn't very good, but there were no religious elements. And I heard no objections about that.

I think it's retarded parents can pull their kids out of science class. What if I made a religion where maths was evil or something? Can I pull my kids out of maths class?

Yeah its insane. I had a social studies with a teacher that was gay. Some parents didn't like him because of that, most students didn't care..some had to quit the class. Why does sexual preference matter? He was a damn good teacher! Learned a lot from that guy and made my life better today because of it. I mean come on, sometimes he'd bring food in for the class! There was so much freedom in this class, if you wanted to voice your opinion and use swear words to get your point across, he'd let you do so. Of course this was high school and treated us like adults not little kids. Best class ever.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
[+] 1 user Likes nerwin's post
04-01-2015, 09:52 AM
I went to a Catholic elementary school 1961-1969, a Catholic high school 1969-1971, and a public high school 1971-1973. I don't remember evolution ever coming up in elementary school, but it was definitely taught to us in high school biology -- this would have been in my sophomore year, 1970-1971, at the Catholic high school. The class was taught by a nun. Nobody objected or walked out. I do remember a few people objecting to the part where we had to kill and dissect small animals.
04-01-2015, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 11:31 AM by gofish!.)
(04-01-2015 07:50 AM)nerwin Wrote:  Looking back, I'm really glad any of the schools I went to had zero religious affiliations, the only religious stuff I remember during school was in history class and that was only about religions that had a major role in world history. Pretty sure my history teacher in high school was an atheist.

Anyways, I remember science classes in both elementary, middle and high school and they were great classes and learned a lot, but the day they taught us about evolution was really funny because I remember some students left the class because they didn't believe in evolution and some parents pulled their kids (even in high school!) from that class period because they didn't want their child to be brainwashed which offended the teacher. As expected I excelled in that class and that it was great learning about how we homo sapiens became to be.

Did any of you experience something like this during your school years?

Nah, growing up in England, we don't have all that crap. Not even in Catholic schools.

We have that because we got rid of all our religious nutbars (as Dennis Miller put it, ..."people so stuck up, even the Brits kicked 'em out") on some ship called the Mayflower and we haven't looked back since. Big Grin

[Edit] Well, maybe that's not strictly true. Yes, we got shod of the "pilgrims", but we've got some new ones here. Confused

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
04-01-2015, 10:02 AM
(04-01-2015 09:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 09:18 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Yeah.Blink

You'll excuse me if I don't watch two hours worth of YouTube videos you posted. But you're hostile response just shows you need more from evolution than you're ever going to get.

There IS no excuse for you Gordo. It's *your* hostile response, deary, not "you're". You see deary, when you actually go to school, teacher will explain when to use "your" and "you're", (Mr. Supposed Jebus Gospel Writer". Sadcryface2 ... Laugh out load )
Now I do get that asking for a request that you address the SUBSTANCE of an argument, instead of your usual crap "reports" is considered "hostile" to your (that's a little hint for you Eddy), religious nut-jobs who actually know NOTHING about science, probability and how it actually all works, but thanks for playing, and proving you actually have no clue about what Evolution posits about the way things work.

Education actually takes work and time, L'll Eddy. You actually have to LEARN something from someone, instead of just re-writing old books and telling yourself you're one of the few who did that.

You're so small. You argued once that the term I used "couldn't care less" should have been written "could care less" and I corrected you, which of course meant nothing, but someone else corrected you, too. And somehow, you now look for every grammar error in what I write. Which means still, after all this time, in your mind, you can't live it down. That is so small.

As a writer, I can tell you that I have a problem with lots and lots of grammar issues. Your and You're I confuse all the time. It's and Its as well. MS Word grammar checks that for me, but I don't have that in here. When I edit for publication, I now have a editing guide (I use for Black Spirit Publishing) it's a checklist and it has all those kinds of words, and I go through a manuscript using the "find" feature and look at each time one of those words is used, and I check to make sure it's the right usage. But that's for publication. That's different than in here.

Writing is not an off-the-top-of-the-head activity like it is in here. Real writing is a three-step process: rough draft--revision--editing.

Now that you know that, you don't have to be concerned about grammar and spelling in a social media comment box. You don't have to live it down that you confused "could care less" and "couldn't care less." It doesn't really matter. The reason I even corrected you on it is because you attacked me (incorrectly) about it.

The reason people don't hammer people about spelling and grammar in social media is because it's throwing stones in a glass house. Do you know what that means? Throwing stones in a glass house?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Everything about Biology was fundamentally based on Evolution. I think we kinda pointed it out in the beginning in biological themed sections of grade school and specific High school biology.

I oddly recently had my 7th grade math teacher in a college biology class which clearly is fun to see those teachers having more free range to at times speak a bit against ways schools force certain subjects out or how one does go about teaching evolution. It definitely was involved.

I recall in 5th grade specifically spending times looking at flower structures for pollination and how that affects the world through evolution.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-01-2015, 10:57 AM
My school was pretty good about keeping religion out.
Evolution was taught without any alternatives.
We also had a nice drug raid in the late seventies that ended up in the Supreme Court. Smile
04-01-2015, 11:56 AM
I can't remember the mention of evolution in school. We did watch an abundance of Bill Nye though...

RIP education.
04-01-2015, 11:59 AM
K thru 12 was public school so, science was science and evolution was a given.

Imagine my surprise when in state university biology 101, the guy sitting next to me starts arguing with the professor about how life came to be on the planet. The prof and others tried to explain some basic ideas about evolution but he wasn't having it.

I finally told him that how ever life first appeared, has nothing to do with what happens to it from that point on (evolution) - that they are separate ideas. He looked at me as if his skull had just been cleved with an ax and he was quiet ... which was all I wanted.

I made a mental note that he wasn't in the class after midterms. I didn't speculate on why he dropped but I have to suppose catching up on such a voluminous subject must be a bitch. I hate to think how ill prepared some people are ... and it isn't their fault, poor things. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein