Did your school teach evolution in science class?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2015, 12:03 PM
RE: Did your school teach evolution in science class?
In grammar school I was taught that dinosaurs didn't exist, like at all. Evolution wasn't even touched upon.

But again, I was also taught that men had one less rib than women.

In jr high, I took biology but got grossed out by frog dissection (I don't recall much else)

All my other science classes spent a little time on evolution, but it wasn't a controversy at all.

I doubt any kid in my high school at that time had an issue with it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Not only did my school (in some forgotten land of Croatia) teach normal science and evolution, I have never even heard about Creationism until the Internet grew a little bit. I thought it was all a big joke, just like Flat Earth Society, but then I came to TTA and I found out how retarded people can actually be. No offense to anyone, but every Creationist is a complete retard, lunatic, someone to be locked in a white room, filled with pills and treated with the combine therapy of cold water and electricity. Actually, take as much offense as you like, who gives a shit.

Tongue

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
04-01-2015, 12:37 PM
(04-01-2015 12:19 PM)Filox Wrote:  Not only did my school (in some forgotten land of Croatia) teach normal science and evolution, I have never even heard about Creationism until the Internet grew a little bit. I thought it was all a big joke, just like Flat Earth Society, but then I came to TTA and I found out how retarded people can actually be. No offense to anyone, but every Creationist is a complete retard, lunatic, someone to be locked in a white room, filled with pills and treated with the combine therapy of cold water and electricity. Actually, take as much offense as you like, who gives a shit.

Tongue

I was the same way, surely people today arent flat earthers and creationists....then I met my inlaws. Facepalm

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-01-2015, 12:39 PM
We never had a lesson on evolution, but it would be brought up when it was relevant to whatever we were being taught at the time. Same for uni.

Creationism was never mentioned ever. Even in RE. Didn't even know that we had creationists in the uk untill i was 21/22. To date i've only met 3.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
04-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I grew up in central NJ. In middle school we learned biology and dissected frogs but don't specificity recall evolution being mentioned. But, I left middle school in 1982, 33 years ago, so my recollections may not be exact.

In 10th grade I took biology and evolution and Darwin's theories were specifically taught. I don't recall anyone saying anything about it or it being at all controversial.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
04-01-2015, 02:11 PM
I don't recall it being mentioned during my 1st-5th grade years. I got home schooled through 6th grade and of course my parents left that subject out.

Come 7th and 8th grade, my parents sent me to a private Christian School while we lived in NC. When my science teacher brought up the subject of evolution, he blatantly told us that we shouldn't believe anything it stated, and that he was only teaching it because it was in the curriculum.

After skimming over the subject for 15 minutes, he moved on to some dumb 'science' book that stated dinosaurs were the leviathans mentioned in the Bible and that the Earth was nowhere near as old as the evil scientists claim it is. When I asked my science teacher about what dating methods they used to determine Earth's age, he answered with the Bible and a few vague verses. When I asked him about carbon-dating methods, and he said it couldn't be trusted and was nothing more than devilwork to sway Christians (lol).

Finally we moved away from NC and came to Alaska, where I -finally- went to a public school. From 9th-11th grade I had an epic biology teacher. He would take us out to tidepools by the beaches, or the cliffs in the mountainside where we could study rock layers (I found a trilobite fossil!). He taught us how to raise unicellular organisms in a petri-dish and create a miniature ecosystem, and gave us a very detailed and informative explanation on evolution. I don't recall anyone leaving that class, probably because my teacher made it so interesting. It was the most fun I had in a class, and I learned so much more in those 2 years than I did at any other education level (honestly, 1st-8th grade were nothing but religious spule).
04-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Growing up in Oregon, we were taught evolution in public school. I moved to very northern California in the middle of 8th grade. It was taught in both places. There may have been a note sent home to opt out, I think I may remember a couple of kids who didn't attend class, the more I think about it.
Our family was Lutheran, but I was never given the impression that they didn't believe in evolution. I think they may have been agnostics who didn't want to come out, and just went through the motions of being religious.
04-01-2015, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 02:39 PM by Free Thought.)
(04-01-2015 07:50 AM)nerwin Wrote:  Looking back, I'm really glad any of the schools I went to had zero religious affiliations, the only religious stuff I remember during school was in history class and that was only about religions that had a major role in world history. Pretty sure my history teacher in high school was an atheist.

Anyways, I remember science classes in both elementary, middle and high school and they were great classes and learned a lot, but the day they taught us about evolution was really funny because I remember some students left the class because they didn't believe in evolution and some parents pulled their kids (even in high school!) from that class period because they didn't want their child to be brainwashed which offended the teacher. As expected I excelled in that class and that it was great learning about how we homo sapiens became to be.

Did any of you experience something like this during your school years?

Evolution was taught in my school, but it didn't receive the emphasis that I think it deserved; it's pretty much the core of all modern biology and it received a less than a week, during which only population speciation was examined. Also, the topic wasn't really discussed; we got a ton of papers on the subject and my teacher moved on. Keep in mind, this was in a class where we spent several weeks in full on the differences between DNA replication and protein synthesis, complete with verbal discussion on the topic... I can only assume a high volume of past students mixed up the mechanisms...
I wormed my way into the Biology class almost entirely to try learn more about evolutionary mechanics, and was probably the most well informed in my class on the topic both years I was in the class. I didn't expect anybody to leave the class thanks to the content, and as far as I noticed, nobody did; the class did have a number of drop-outs, but I had assumed that was due to workload.

The course's 'evolutionary deficiency' may have had something to do with my teacher, though; he was a Muslim from India who studied at an Islamic college who had a seething hatred for Darwin, whom he proclaimed "... was a thief who stole Wallace's work", he openly stated several times that "(he) didn't believe in that crap". Credit to him for teaching all of what the state required him to though, even if not in the breadth it maybe should have been taught in.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
04-01-2015, 02:51 PM
I was taught evolution - but then I'm from the UK.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
04-01-2015, 04:38 PM
We covered it for two days in my 9th grade biology class (so with block scheduling, that's about 3 hours total). They sent home notes, and about a quarter of the class was pulled. Even after the kids were pulled, the teacher said "I'm aware not all of you believe this way, and neither do I, but I am required to teach it." Dodgy

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman