Diet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Diet?
So, As a 260 pound fat-ass, I was recently inspired by one of my friends on facebook. A recent post of his showed a before and after picture of him having lost 100+ pounds! I was really quite amazed and all he did (well most of what he did) was count calories. He didn't really cut anything out, he just cut back and practiced portion control. As a result, my wife and I have just started to do it too. Thus far I have removed ~10 lbs and am down to 250, but the cravings for fried foods and sweets are getting rough. Anyone else out there a dieter? Got any good advice or meals to share?

I have a few meals we have had so far that were awesome.

First was a black bean soup (I am certainly not a vegetarian but this vegetarian-friendly meal was amazing)
It was a red pepper, chile peppers, black beans, vegetable broth, jalepeno, onions, and numerous spices like cumin and chili powder. After the initial bit cooks, you take about half of it out (my wife made sure to include all of the vegetables and about half of the beans) and blend it. You then mix the blended and unblended together for a nice spicy soup. It was quite amazing.

A great sidedish we had the other day was garlic mushrooms. I don't remember the specifics but it was basically whole mushrooms, fresh garlic, minced garlic, onions, and bread crumbs. Fan-freaking-tastic!!!

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
RE: Diet?
(08-06-2012 12:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So, As a 260 pound fat-ass, I was recently inspired by one of my friends on facebook. A recent post of his showed a before and after picture of him having lost 100+ pounds! I was really quite amazed and all he did (well most of what he did) was count calories. He didn't really cut anything out, he just cut back and practiced portion control. As a result, my wife and I have just started to do it too. Thus far I have removed ~10 lbs and am down to 250, but the cravings for fried foods and sweets are getting rough. Anyone else out there a dieter? Got any good advice or meals to share?

I have a few meals we have had so far that were awesome.

First was a black bean soup (I am certainly not a vegetarian but this vegetarian-friendly meal was amazing)
It was a red pepper, chile peppers, black beans, vegetable broth, jalepeno, onions, and numerous spices like cumin and chili powder. After the initial bit cooks, you take about half of it out (my wife made sure to include all of the vegetables and about half of the beans) and blend it. You then mix the blended and unblended together for a nice spicy soup. It was quite amazing.

A great sidedish we had the other day was garlic mushrooms. I don't remember the specifics but it was basically whole mushrooms, fresh garlic, minced garlic, onions, and bread crumbs. Fan-freaking-tastic!!!

See, this is the problem I have with dieting...healthy foods are my least favorite. I could possibly do the black bean soup, but mushrooms? Not so much. The other problem I have is the initial motivation...a couple of years ago I lost 50 pounds through diet and exercise, but a lot of that weight came back when I stopped. And now, even though I have proof that I can make that sort of change, I am having a really tough time starting again. Maybe if you post your success I'll try again!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
The hardest damn part is day freaking 2. I so badly want to eat some fried wings and splurge with some delicious ranch dressing all over them, but I am tired of being a fat-ass and I don't want to have health issues as I get older. I HATE vegetables and have always been anti-health food, but these latest meals have actually been good. With good spicing and complimentary ingredients, they have been filling, satisfying, and quite tasty. I'm eating a Mediterranean stir-fry right now we made last night. It was okay last nigh but is better this morning. It has zucchini, squash, onion, jalapeno, and chicken, along with numerous spices (including fresh garlic again). I supplemented it last night with white rice but the whole meal was a bit too bland, today I added an ounce of sharp cheddar that I shredded myself and a single tortilla. The cheese along with the overnight basting has really improved it. I would not be able to do this if the meals were all bland.

Evolve

Smartass
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
(08-06-2012 12:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have a few meals we have had so far that were awesome.

The soup sounds absolutely yummy as does the mushrooms.

I too am trying to lose weight and at first it seemed tedious but after a certain point I no longer felt constantly hungry because I was eating better plus I learned, at one point, that my migraines were being caused by MSG in the processed foods. Once I eliminated that my headaches disappeared.

The processed foods contain so much hydrogenated oils, MSG and other preservatives that it is no wonder that even little children are suffering problems. When you feed them fruity pebbles and poptarts, you cannot really be surprised when they turn into little roly-poly's

At any rate, it's kind of neat to discover even simple things one can make that still taste great.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
[+] 3 users Like Dragon-Wolf's post
08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I agree. My heartburn has been all but non-existent over the last few weeks and I am already craving less and less food. I try to snack on fresh fruits (preferably grapes and cherries). I can eat a few cups of each and still not waste many calories.

Evolve

Smartass
08-06-2012, 12:40 PM
(08-06-2012 12:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  See, this is the problem I have with dieting...healthy foods are my least favorite. I could possibly do the black bean soup, but mushrooms? Not so much.

Goddamnit - eat the mushrooms! Angry

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
08-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Eat me.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't touch that mushroom with a knife!!!

Evolve

Smartass
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
08-06-2012, 01:30 PM
(08-06-2012 01:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Eat me.
Fucking carnivores. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
(08-06-2012 01:30 PM)kim Wrote:  
(08-06-2012 01:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Eat me.
Fucking carnivores. Dodgy
Methinks you're jealous. Tongue

~Izel