Diet Racism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2014, 04:36 PM
RE: Diet Racism
The number of people adversely affected by affirmative action programs is likely not very large; it is also not measurable.
I'd bet places at university given to athletes over scholars outweighs that by a fair margin.

Affirmative action seems a post hoc treatment of a past injustice. Does giving someone a job or a place at university today make up for past discrimination?
Only if you think there is some collective guilt that we all share, a collective debt to be paid. However, if it is for treating current inequities, then it makes sense.

Is there something better? In the long run, of course. In the short term, I don't know.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2014, 08:07 PM
RE: Diet Racism
Affirmative action is a proactive strategy for dealing with systemic poverty. People who come from poor families get a bump in admission too, but nobody argues about that. If you are trying to raise people out of poverty you should try and give people who are statistically less likely to succeed a better chance of succeeding; aka poor minorities, aka black people. I am not entirely sure I agree with it; I believe that economic indicators are just as good and far less bias as racial ones, but I certainly understand it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply