Diet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2012, 06:26 PM
RE: Diet?
Can't eat mushrooms either...bleck!

It's a taste and texture thing for me...gives me the chills to bite into one.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Love me some mushrooms. Every kind, prepared every which way. Bring 'em on!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Dom, you are welcome to my share.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
08-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Used to go picking mushroom in the Alps with my mom and aunts. We always had a ball, found lots of them and had a feast with them afterwards.

For me the best diet is, oddly, adding things in. If one hour before meals I eat X, Y or Z, I can eat what I want at the meal.

X,Y and Z are healthy foods, veggies or fruit or whole grains.

Before long I find myself eating a lot of X, Y, and Z and a lot less "forbidden" stuff. Add in a couple extra walks with the dog, and before I know it, I am losing weight.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-06-2012, 11:56 PM
(08-06-2012 12:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So, As a 260 pound fat-ass, I was recently inspired by one of my friends on facebook. A recent post of his showed a before and after picture of him having lost 100+ pounds! I was really quite amazed and all he did (well most of what he did) was count calories. He didn't really cut anything out, he just cut back and practiced portion control. As a result, my wife and I have just started to do it too. Thus far I have removed ~10 lbs and am down to 250, but the cravings for fried foods and sweets are getting rough. Anyone else out there a dieter? Got any good advice or meals to share?

It feels weird to suggest to a paleontologist the paleo diet. But there you have it. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Beans should be the 5th food group. Research beans and you will see why Smile Beans are a staple at our place. Black bean quesidillas are one of my favourite and bean burgers- yum! You can stick beans in almost anything, I've put it on pizza and in stews. They can be tasteless or spiced up. They are super filling, too.

I used to detest mushrooms. When I was pregnant with my 2nd child I all of a sudden couldn't have enough of them (must have been lacking some things that Kim talked about, hrmmm....). Since then I eat them and the texture doesn't bother me anymore, I got over it.

Spinach is the best leaf in my opinion because it is one of the most packed with good stuff leafs and it is also fairly tasteless, not as bitter as some others. You can blend it into smoothies and not even notice or blanch it and stick it on pizzas, in spaghetti or with scrambled eggs.

Good luck, and good for you!
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
09-06-2012, 06:42 AM
For rapid weight loss... Guaranteed results.... choose... heroine!
Also good for losing weight from your wallet and losing friends

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-06-2012, 07:07 AM
(09-06-2012 06:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  For rapid weight loss... Guaranteed results.... choose... heroine!
Also good for losing weight from your wallet and losing friends
Heroin or heroine, there's a difference, but maybe not on the effect to your wallet Tongue
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
09-06-2012, 07:22 AM
(08-06-2012 11:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-06-2012 12:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So, As a 260 pound fat-ass, I was recently inspired by one of my friends on facebook. A recent post of his showed a before and after picture of him having lost 100+ pounds! I was really quite amazed and all he did (well most of what he did) was count calories. He didn't really cut anything out, he just cut back and practiced portion control. As a result, my wife and I have just started to do it too. Thus far I have removed ~10 lbs and am down to 250, but the cravings for fried foods and sweets are getting rough. Anyone else out there a dieter? Got any good advice or meals to share?

It feels weird to suggest to a paleontologist the paleo diet. But there you have it. Wink

I'm currently in the process of getting certified as a personal trainer actually (I've read all the materials, just have to pass the test when I get home), and I definitely recommend the paleo diet, at least to some degree. But honestly cutting calories is the worst idea, since 50-70% of the calories you consume are burned off in your daily activites (this doesn't count cleaning the house or shooting some hoops, this is just sustaining your life; also referred to as your Resting Metabolic Rate), and 5-15% is used just in the digestion of the food you consumed, leaving the rest to be stored as either fat or glycogen. What determines where it gets stored is dependent upon how often you eat. You see, whenever you eat your body releases two enzymes, lipogenic and lipolitic, and they're always released in a balance (ie if there's a lot of lipogenic enzymes released then there will be only a small amount of lipolitic enzymes released.) Lipogenic hormones take the energy from food and convert it into fat, while the lipolitic cells will burn the fat. Ideally you should eat a balanced meal every 3-4 hours, and every meal you skip will increase the amount of lipogenic enzymes produced. And if you eat more often you will obviously need to eat smaller portions to avoid over eating. In addition to this, I'd recommend at least 30 minutes of some kind of exercise daily. If this isn't possible, choose the stairs over the elevator, park your car at the far end of the parking lot, etc to increase your overall activity levels. The more active you are, the more your body will take the food you eat and store it in your muscles as opposed to storing it as fat.

Bottom line is, it's going to take a lifestyle change to lose the weight and keep it off. Simply cutting calories or going on a diet will only provide short term results and slow your metabolism.
[+] 3 users Like Billybrawner's post
09-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I walk or ride my bike to work M-F and that generally takes no less than 30 minutes walking and 15 minutes biking (up a hill going in) so I try to do something every day. And when I say cut calories, I don't mean anything drastic. I am using an app called LoseIT that tracks your calories and assigns you a daily budget based on age, height, and weight. This far I am on roughly 2,300 calories a day.

I typically eat 3 meals a day but I have to supplement with light snacks in between (usually fruit buy sometimes goldfish crackers or sunflower seeds) and I drink water with whatever snack I have to help fill me up.

The biggest change so far is the quality of the food we are eating. My wife and I had pizza last night, homemade. It was on a whole wheat crust and by the time we were done it was only about 185 calories a slice! That meant I could have several slices and not ruin my day. I was pretty stoked.

Thanks for the advice billy. I'll pass it on to my wife too.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post