Diet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2012, 12:20 PM
RE: Diet?
One thing in the paleo diet that doesn't make sense is the grassfed meat/grain issue.

In the fall animals eat grain as the grasses are going to seed and the creatures will look to fatten up for winter. Besides the grass blades are like dry straw when setting seeds and don't have much nutrition anymore, it's all gone into the seed.

People would hunt especially hard in the fall, as baby animals were weaned by then and people needed to fatten up for winter as well.

People, too, used to use these grass seeds long before they started cultivating them. Wheat, rye, these are all grasses.

So, meat was grass fed but finished with whole grain, and people did eat seeds and whole grain, especially in the fall and winter (this stuff stores well).

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-06-2012, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 05:41 PM by cufflink.)
I'm part of the diet club too. I started about 3 months ago, at around 213, which neither looked nor felt good. My goal is 185. I'm down to 197, so more than half-way there. It's going slower than I had expected, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Rapid off means rapid back on, or so I've read.

Here's what I find works for me:

I'm too lazy to count calories. That would involve keeping a record of food intake, which would make it too much of a chore. Rather, I've simply eliminated certain foods and am trying to be reasonable in terms of portion size for what I do eat. What I've cut out are the "white foods":

Sugar
Flour (including bread and other baked goods)
Potatoes
Rice
Pasta

What's left is all fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts, olive oil, and some cereals (like steel-cut, unrolled oatmeal, the long-cook kind, unsweetened, with soy milk--YUM!). That's plenty to keep me going. If I get to feeling deprived, I'll have an "anything goes" meal 2 or 3 times a month. It sets me back a bit, but it's soon corrected for, as long as I immediately get back on the straight and narrow.

One thing I can't give up, which ideally I would, is dairy: I can't live without cheese. But I keep the milk and yogurt (unsweetened, of course) non-fat. Can't do that with cheese (non-fat cheese is a joke), but nobody's perfect. Smile

I'm also getting in more exercise. Getting to the gym 3 times a week to lift, and on the off days I ride my bike. It not only makes me look better but gives me more energy as well.

A couple of things I've been enjoying lately:

One is buckwheat. It's great! I used to have it when I was a kid (we called it kasha), but I recall it as mushy and gloppy. But not the way I make it. (What can I say--I'm a better cook than my mom was.) I buy whole buckwheat (sometimes called "buckwheat groats"--weird word) in an ethnic market and cook it up like rice (but uncovered), one part buckwheat to two parts water, with a little salt thrown in. It's ready amazingly fast and comes out nice and fluffy. At the end you can add in some separately sauteed onions if you like. So good.

And here's something I learned to make when I lived in Iran. It's a vegetable casserole called in Persian Kuku-ye Sabzi. It's basically just chopped green veggies mixed with eggs and baked in a casserole dish. Good for you, tasty, low in calories. The original recipe calls for butter, but there's no need for that.

Finely chop fresh green vegetables--any combination of spinach, leeks, green onions, parsley, even lettuce--to make 7 or 8 cups. (It helps to have a Cuisinart or other food processor to avoid the manual labor.) Mix in 8 beaten eggs, 1 1/2 Tbs. flour (yeah, that's an exception to my rule), 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, 1 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, a little ground nutmeg (optional). Pour into a well-oiled casserole dish and bake at 325 degrees for an hour or until the kuku is firm and the top is beginning to brown. Can be served hot or cold. It's especially good with plain yogurt.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 6 users Like cufflink's post
09-06-2012, 01:34 PM
(09-06-2012 01:13 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I'm part of the diet club too. I started about 3 months ago, at around 213, which neither looked nor felt good. My goal is 185. I'm down to 197, so more than half-way there. It's going slower than I had expected, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Rapid off means rapid back on, or so I've read.

I'm too lazy to count calories. That would involve keeping a record of food intake, which would make it too much of a chore. Rather, I've simply eliminated certain foods and am trying to be reasonable in terms of portion size for what I do eat. What I've cut out is the "white foods":

Sugar
Potatoes
Rice
Pasta

What's left is all fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, nuts, olive oil, and some cereals (like steel-cut, unrolled oatmeal, the long-cook kind, unsweetened, with soy milk--YUM!). That's plenty to keep me going. If I get to feeling deprived, I'll have an "anything goes" meal 2 or 3 times a month. It sets me back a bit, but it's soon corrected for, as long as I immediately get back on the straight and narrow.

One thing I can't give up, which ideally I would, is dairy: I can't live without cheese. But I keep the milk and yogurt (unsweetened, of course) non-fat. Can't do that with cheese (non-fat cheese is a joke), but nobody's perfect. Smile

I'm also getting in more exercise. Getting to the gym 3 times a week to lift, and on the off days I ride my bike. It not only makes me look better but gives me more energy as well.

A couple of things I've been enjoying lately:

One is buckwheat. It's great! I used to have it when I was a kid (we called it kasha), but I recall it as mushy and gloppy. But not the way I make it. (What can I say--I'm a better cook than my mom was.) I buy whole buckwheat (sometimes called "buckwheat groats"--weird word) in an ethnic market and cook it up like rice (but uncovered), one part buckwheat to two parts water, with a little salt thrown in. It's ready amazingly fast and comes out nice and fluffy. At the end you can add in some separately sauteed onions if you like. So good.

And here's something I learned to make when I lived in Iran. It's a vegetable casserole called in Persian Kuku-ye Sabzi. It's basically just chopped green veggies mixed with eggs and baked in a casserole dish. Good for you, tasty, low in calories. The original recipe calls for butter, but there's no need for that.

Finely chop fresh green vegetables--any combination of spinach, leeks, green onions, parsley, even lettuce--to make 7 or 8 cups. (It helps to have a Cuisinart or other food processor to avoid the manual labor.) Mix in 8 beaten eggs, 1 1/2 Tbs. flour (yeah, that's an exception to my rule), 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, 1 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, a little ground nutmeg (optional). Pour into a well-oiled casserole dish and bake at 325 degrees for an hour or until the kuku is firm and the top is beginning to brown. Can be served hot or cold. It's especially good with plain yogurt.

Re. Cheese: Use the dry grated cheeses (you can grate yourself or buy them FRESH grated, not the old can of Kraft Parmesan, check in the fresh cheese section, it's refrigerated). Pour and melt over whatever you like. They are low fat and delicious. Parmesan, Asiago, Romano...

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 05:04 PM by kim.)
Some of that Paleo diet seems ok and not really too far from how I eat. I am an advocate of whole foods, fresh as possible, no processed, no fillers, fresh veggies & fruits - I'm primarily a vegetarian with an occasional sushi orgy. Haven't eaten much land animal meat since I was a kid, but maybe a couple times a year I'll have a bite of lamb from a friend's plate - Greek or Middle Eastern -YUM! I eat as local as possible, but could just as easily and happily eat my way around the world. Smile

I just try for the least processed food I can get - no fillers! Bread is rare, if at all it's freshly made, I prefer a flat, whole ground grain -I've made it myself- nice... but since I'm lazy -my whole food co-op makes a great variety. About the only grain I eat with any regularity is rice -a lot of different kinds- brown and red are my favorites. Wild is more like a seed -love it. I do eat legumes... I love lentils and if I don't eat Indian food at least once a month, I lose my will to live. I suppose technically, soups and sauces are processed, but at least I know what's in Indian sauces and I always eat fresh made, never canned.

You risk losing an appendage if you try to take my goat cheese away -just sayin'. I do eat organic, European style(no fillers), low-fat, yogurt. I feel like I need the enzymes to take care of my gut, especially when I eat stuff that I know my body can't take care of, like breads and certain proteins. I feel good with a couple of spoonfuls every other day... depending upon how active I am.

I was recently advised to eat more soy for the phytoestrogens and tried a "soy yogurt" -VOMIT- do not eat that shit! I'll eat more Tempeh to up my soy -it's not as processed as tofu and yummy as hell! (Tempeh=tasty. // Soy yogurt=pure barf.)

I'm three years into my juicer and drink gallons of vitamins if I think I'm not getting enough. Actually, the juice is just so damn fantastic, it's all I really care about. Handy juicer tip: use leftover pulp for soups, sauces, spreads, and naturally flavored fillers to stretch a recipe. I'm absolutely convinced a juicer is the only way to go for baby food or convalescing after surgery or illness. My Braun is great but a Jack Lalanne power juicer is just as good and cheaper. I like to eat and my gut wants pulp as well as juice so, screw that super-expensive Norwalk Juicer which extracts everything and leaves a useless, dry pulp.

Probably the most processed thing I consume is booze. Not a big drinker, I prefer wine, but a micro brew or import lager beer is cheap -maybe once a week, if that. Since I am human, I do have an addiction in my life -about 20 oz of coffee a day. I roast my own beans, thank you... I've learned a tremendous amount of geography from purchasing green, raw beans from all over the world. I'm currently struggling to forgive my self for my new-found coffee snobbery. Hey - I am a well functioning addict and if anyone doesn't approve, they can blow me. Oh yes, addiction … it is a struggle. Dodgy

Coffee aside… I like to think "all things in moderation" is a good rule of thumb and I'm usually pretty relaxed about food. I don't get too stressed out if I can't get totally organic, just off the vine, reverse osmosis, triple filtered, whatever and uh yes, I can taste preservatives; I just don't let it bother me and eat what I can manage, until I can get what I want. I do draw the line at fast food places -certain ones I haven't been in for years; McD's almost 20 years now.

I suppose it's not for everyone, but whole food works for me and my body. I want a lifestyle that won't interfere with my life or my style, and one I can live well with… for a long time. I hope. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
09-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I love gardening and have lots of space. So I planted lots of different fruit trees and berries and have fresh fruit spring through fall. Right now it's just strawberries, but yum, soooo much better than the cardboard ones you buy in stores.

I have raised beds for veggies and drip irrigation, so other than planting and eating there isnt much to do for me but to walk through and watch the progress, a fun thing to do. Most things don't even make it into the house, they get eaten right there. I haven't seen a single strawberry in my kitchen this year - sun warmed and ripened right off the bush is best.

This year I went mad and planted every type of greens I could find for spring veggies, and I never knew I would end up loving them so much. I go through and pick a little of this and a little of that, throw it in a bowl, drizzle a little olive oil over it, quick zap it in the micro to wilt it and sprinkle some asiago cheese on top. Super delicious! And so simple and healthy to boot.

I do like meat, and poultry, and fish. I grill all of the above, love the grilled salmon to death. So good! If I buy beef, I splurge on USDA prime and it is always tender enough to melt on your tongue. Grilling is a wonderful activity, it's leisurely and I watch the sun go down while I grill. It's my meditation time, alone out there in nature, with the flower garden in view. It calms and grounds me.

For breakfast i have taken to using steel cut plain oats, all kinds of seeds and grains like quinoia and buckwheat groats and flax seed and whatever turns me on at the time, some chopped walnuts etc. I boil a pot of water while I make dinner, and throw the lot in there and turn the heat off. By the end of dinner it has cooled off and I put it in the fridge. It's a week's worth of breakfast, I just add fruit to it, different kinds, whatever is around. Maybe a dash of molasses. Love it and good for me too.

I have a bread machine and bake my own bread, I throw whole wheat and whatever nuts, seeds and grains I have around in the machine (yes, I follow a recipe for whole wheat bread and just add seeds and stuff) and turn the thing on. A few hours later the house smells heavenly and I have bread.

It's all easy and fresh and healthy food, and it tastes great and exactly the way I like.

With exception of some of the very nice restaurants (like in Vegas, where the top chef's have their restaurants) I can't stand to eat out anymore because I always think I could have done a better job of cooking. I can buy expensive, top quality ingredients and still eat cheaper than eating in an economy restaurant with not so good food.

I do like wine with my food, but am not a wine snob. I also like some beers, but not the usual Coors or whatever. The micro breweries do a pretty nice job now of making some good, authentic beers. Mostly I drink water though.

And now I am off to stroll through the veggie garden and then take Drago out for a nice walk in the woods. On the way back in I'll pick some dinner veggies... salmon tonight. Smile

[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
09-06-2012, 11:40 PM
All the food that are high starch content are my favorite food. I am not terribly overweight but liking Rice/Pasta and Cheddar do not help with weight loss.

Under Repair.
09-06-2012, 11:58 PM
(09-06-2012 01:13 PM)cufflink Wrote:  I'm part of the diet club too. I started about 3 months ago, at around 213, which neither looked nor felt good. My goal is 185. I'm down to 197, so more than half-way there. It's going slower than I had expected, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Rapid off means rapid back on, or so I've read.

... What I've cut out are the "white foods":

Sugar
Potatoes
Rice
Pasta

I call it the "if it's white it ain't right" diet. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post