Differences between new testament and old?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2013, 11:06 AM
What are the differences between the old testament and the new testament? What purpose does the new testamet serve?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2013, 11:09 AM
RE: Differences between new testament and old?
Um, you're new to life, aren't you?
The Old Testament is older, and is followed by Jews, the New Testament was supposedly written by the followers of Jesus, and chronicles the arrival of the Christ.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
13-10-2013, 11:48 AM
The NT served as a means to establish a new religion.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
13-10-2013, 12:31 PM
(13-10-2013 11:06 AM)Citizen_Atheist Wrote:  What are the differences between the old testament and the new testament? What purpose does the new testamet serve?

Don't you want us to take you to our leader? That's how I thought it was supposed to happen. Do you come in peace? Can you help with the discussion on abortion as it relates to personhood? Does your kind gestate?

The Old Testament is older than the New Testament and the New Testament is newer than the Old Testament. The English term "older" means it temporally precedes; the term newer means it temporally succeeds.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2013, 12:45 PM
From a Christian perspective I think they are both supposed to describe the same unchanging perfect and loving god.
In old testament times, people were apparently very evil so the perfect and loving god need to kill them by the millions, in various interesting ways, for crimes that they did, or those that their parents did, or those that their ancestors did, or for being of a particular race or tribe or for not believing, or for spilling their seed or for look at a town that god has just destroyed. But because god is perfect and loving, then all this death was perfectly justified.

The new testament marks a different time, people are now reasonably decent and don't need god to justifiably kill them in various ways. But the god is the same perfect and loving entity that he has always been.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
13-10-2013, 01:17 PM
(13-10-2013 11:06 AM)Citizen_Atheist Wrote:  What are the differences between the old testament and the new testament? What purpose does the new testamet serve?

The New Testament is the basis of the Chriatian faith. Christians consider some of the works of Judaism contained in the Old Testament to be sacred, depending on the sect (The catholic Bible contains 4 more OT books than does the Protestant Bible).

Content wise, the OT is composed of The Pentateuch

Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy

The history books

I, II Samuel
I, II Kings
I, II Chronicles
Ezra
Nemeiah
Esther

Then the strange story of Job

Romantic literature

Psalms
Proverbs
Eccleastics
Song of Solomon

Finally the major and minor prophets

Isaiah
Jeremiah
Lamentations
Ezekiel
Daniel
Hosea
Joel
Amos
Obadiah
Jonah
Micah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
Haggai
Zachariah
Malachi

The New Testament is composed of the Gospels

Matthew
Mark
Luke
John

A short history of the early church

Acts

Paul's (Saul of Tarsus') Letters

Romans
I, II Corinthians
Galatians
Ephesians
Phillippians
Colossians
I, II Thesselonians
I, II Timothy
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews

Letters of the minor Apostles

James
I, II Peter
I, II, III John
Jude

Escatological Prophecy

The Revelation

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
13-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Thank those of you whom posted meaninful content while the rest of you....well you did absolutely nothing.

The reason i posted this question because it seems from what i have been told that the new testament includes jesus where as the OT doesnt. It seems the mew testament isnt near as harsh as the ot either.
[+] 1 user Likes Citizen_Atheist's post
13-10-2013, 06:03 PM
(13-10-2013 12:31 PM)Chippy Wrote:  

Don't you want us to take you to our leader? That's how I thought it was supposed to happen. Do you come in peace? Can you help with the discussion on abortion as it relates to personhood? Does your kind gestate?

The Old Testament is older than the New Testament and the New Testament is newer than the Old Testament. The English term "older" means it temporally precedes; the term newer means it temporally succeeds.

Such wise words....beyond your years.
13-10-2013, 06:05 PM
(13-10-2013 11:09 AM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Um, you're new to life, aren't you?
The Old Testament is older, and is followed by Jews, the New Testament was supposedly written by the followers of Jesus, and chronicles the arrival of the Christ.

How cute.
13-10-2013, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2013 08:58 PM by Revenant77x.)
(13-10-2013 06:01 PM)Citizen_Atheist Wrote:  Thank those of you whom posted meaninful content while the rest of you....well you did absolutely nothing.

The reason i posted this question because it seems from what i have been told that the new testament includes jesus where as the OT doesnt. It seems the mew testament isnt near as harsh as the ot either.

You posted a poorly worded question that begged a sarcastic answer. As to the new testament being harsher than the old that depends on how you look at it. The old testament once you died Yahweh was done with you in the new however if you were not a good little thought slave you get to burn for all eternity cause gawd luvs ya.

For the most part the OT is actually the history of the tribes more so than a theological work. God shows up to move the story along but for the most part it is a political document. The NT however is nothing but propaganda in favor of the new cult. The truth is very rarely even within sight of most of these stories when they were not wholesale fabrications. Of the two the NT has caused more wars and strife.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post