Differences between new testament and old?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2013, 07:11 PM
RE: Differences between new testament and old?
(13-10-2013 06:05 PM)Citizen_Atheist Wrote:  
(13-10-2013 11:09 AM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Um, you're new to life, aren't you?
The Old Testament is older, and is followed by Jews, the New Testament was supposedly written by the followers of Jesus, and chronicles the arrival of the Christ.

How cute.

At least I have an excuse. [Image: xntdf6.jpg] (13 years old) What's your excuse?

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Differences between new testament and old?
The OT created the Jewish religion.

The NT created the Christian religion.

The Christians believed their religion was a continuation of the Jewish religion, the first Christians were all Jews, so they attached their holy book to the Jewish holy book. That combination is what people call the bible.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
15-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Re: RE: Differences between new testament and old?
(13-10-2013 06:01 PM)Citizen_Atheist Wrote:  Thank those of you whom posted meaninful content while the rest of you....well you did absolutely nothing.

The reason i posted this question because it seems from what i have been told that the new testament includes jesus where as the OT doesnt. It seems the mew testament isnt near as harsh as the ot either.

Don't get me going on the Mew Testament... a strange journey with so many tiny critters.

There is the case people make about the ot being more harsh because of the villainess acts by God compared to Jesus talks.

But the major situations make that questionable. The concept of Hell isn't relevant in the ot. It only arises through punishment of not following Jesus and that actually makes the NT rather cruel.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-10-2013, 03:47 PM
(13-10-2013 06:01 PM)Citizen_Atheist Wrote:  The reason i posted this question because it seems from what i have been told that the new testament includes jesus where as the OT doesnt. It seems the mew testament isnt near as harsh as the ot either.

Actually, that depends on how you look at it. In many ways, the NT is much more harsh

Old Testament:
  • Is the narrative of Judaism.
  • Proposes a single God who has a "chosen people".
  • This god is often capricious, vengeful, and self-admittedly jealous.
  • This god is not above killing children when he is mad at their parents.
  • This god changes from story to story in how powerful he is.
  • His primary function is a war god to protect his chosen people (when they aren't pissing him off).
  • Has many strict, often creepy laws, heavily steeped in the culture of the time.
  • Threatens disobedience with actual, physical death. Rewards may or may not come in the form of prosperity.
  • When you die, you go to a place called Sheol (translates to "grave"). This is likely an analog for Hades. Everyone goes there, good or bad.
  • Despite this god looking horrifying, his praises are sung in the Psalms.

New Testament:
  • Is the narrative of Christianity.
  • Tells the story (four times, with many contradictions) of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection.
  • Has a resounding theme of forgiveness (both us forgiving each other and God forgiving us).
  • Comes up with a notion of a separate good afterlife (heaven) and bad afterlife (hell).
  • You get into heaven by faith alone, and not good works.
  • You get into heaven by faith and good works (yes, this is a blatant contradiction).
  • Jesus will return (some day. Really, really soon. Seriously).
  • When he returns, there will be a bunch of crazy, terrifying stuff that happens.
  • Before or after this scary stuff happens, the believers will be whisked away (it is not clear on this).

So, in the OT, God is a capricious, terrifying child-killer, but when it's all said and done, when you die, you die. In the NT, God is much more merciful and loving; however, he'll totally have you tortured for infinity years if you don't swear an oath of fealty to his son (and possibly do the right deeds).
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-10-2013, 10:25 AM
(15-10-2013 03:47 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(13-10-2013 06:01 PM)Citizen_Atheist Wrote:  The reason i posted this question because it seems from what i have been told that the new testament includes jesus where as the OT doesnt. It seems the mew testament isnt near as harsh as the ot either.

Actually, that depends on how you look at it. In many ways, the NT is much more harsh

Old Testament:
  • Is the narrative of Judaism.
  • Proposes a single God who has a "chosen people".
  • This god is often capricious, vengeful, and self-admittedly jealous.
  • This god is not above killing children when he is mad at their parents.
  • This god changes from story to story in how powerful he is.
  • His primary function is a war god to protect his chosen people (when they aren't pissing him off).
  • Has many strict, often creepy laws, heavily steeped in the culture of the time.
  • Threatens disobedience with actual, physical death. Rewards may or may not come in the form of prosperity.
  • When you die, you go to a place called Sheol (translates to "grave"). This is likely an analog for Hades. Everyone goes there, good or bad.
  • Despite this god looking horrifying, his praises are sung in the Psalms.

New Testament:
  • Is the narrative of Christianity.
  • Tells the story (four times, with many contradictions) of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection.
  • Has a resounding theme of forgiveness (both us forgiving each other and God forgiving us).
  • Comes up with a notion of a separate good afterlife (heaven) and bad afterlife (hell).
  • You get into heaven by faith alone, and not good works.
  • You get into heaven by faith and good works (yes, this is a blatant contradiction).
  • Jesus will return (some day. Really, really soon. Seriously).
  • When he returns, there will be a bunch of crazy, terrifying stuff that happens.
  • Before or after this scary stuff happens, the believers will be whisked away (it is not clear on this).

So, in the OT, God is a capricious, terrifying child-killer, but when it's all said and done, when you die, you die. In the NT, God is much more merciful and loving; however, he'll totally have you tortured for infinity years if you don't swear an oath of fealty to his son (and possibly do the right deeds).

Now those are some hell of a bullet points. Nice job.
[+] 1 user Likes J-Hova's post
21-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks. I'm hoping those will be helpful to Citizen_Atheist. As far as I can tell, it was a legitimate request.

Oddly enough, I wouldn't have been able to give this type of an answer back when I went through confirmation and had to memorize the order of the books of the Bible and the Nicene Creed word for word. Amazing what they don't teach you!