Different Sound Effects Based on Location

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2013, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 03:10 PM by Peanut.)
Different Sound Effects Based on Location
A few months ago, I was watching a movie. I THINK it was "Taken?" Anyway, there was an ambulance siren and I thought about how different they sound from somewhere other than the U.S. I asked, "Do you think people from other countries automatically know what country the movie is taking place by ONLY hearing the sound of an ambulance siren?"

I wanted to ask this, but I didn't know ANYBODY from other countries to get a more broad answer. So, friends from around the world, do you notice the difference and do you automatically know the movie is taking place in the U.S or from a different country? I'm really curious Big Grin

American siren I'm "used to."

Now I can't find a good enough clip of a siren from another country. Dodgy If you find one, post it.
I look forward to hearing your input. (It's so COOL to talk to people from all over the world and junk!)

EDIT: It doesn't have to be just ambulance sirens. ANY common sounds will be cool to hear about, as well.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2013, 03:08 PM
RE: Different Sound Effects Based on Location
(12-03-2013 02:27 PM)Peanut Wrote:  ...
So, friends from around the world, do you notice the difference and do you automatically know [where] the movie is taking place

Well, I have travelled a bit so I'll have a go at this one.

There certainly are differences.

I have got to a point where I don't actually need to hear them. I can tell what country they are from just by looking at them. The shape or 'bone' structure is the clue.

As for the sound, there are slight variations even within countries. I put this down to genetic drift.

Also the Doppler Effect is a give-away and one can tell how far the siren is away from your own country just by calculating red-shift.

One can train oneself to recognise the drift and the shift with a little effort.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply