Differentiating between morals and ethics.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Differentiating between morals and ethics.
I'm doing a module at uni on the subject of Justice and have met a mental blockade yet again where I do almost every fricking time I encounter the words "ethics" and "morals".

How would you guys SIMPLY define each of these two terms?

Would ethics be a more personal form of morality that relates to the individual and said individuals immediate circumstance? For example, killing = bad. A basic element in societal morality. However, if I see a man about to murder an innocent child and I could not reach the said man in time and my only way to prevent this was to shoot the man in his head (said man is also wearing a full suit of body armor lol) then would this be an ethical issue and not a moral one?

I guess I'm sort of thinking along the lines that ethical decisions can be morally permissible although not morally right or bad.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2016, 04:00 PM
RE: Differentiating between morals and ethics.
I think they're more synonymous than differing.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-10-2016, 04:10 PM
(04-10-2016 03:56 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm doing a module at uni on the subject of Justice and have met a mental blockade yet again where I do almost every fricking time I encounter the words "ethics" and "morals".

How would you guys SIMPLY define each of these two terms?
I would think that "morals" are a personal belief, where as "ethics" are rules built and enforced on a community which are based on someone's moral beliefs, or an agreed set of rules negotiated by a select few representing their own moral beliefs.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
04-10-2016, 08:25 PM
I'm with St.Evil on this.

I don't believe that a superstructure (corporation, family, religion etc.) has morals as an emergent property. Morals are personal.

Whereas we can have individual ethics and organisational ethics. Both of these factors drive individual behaviours. A collective of behaviours = culture.

Smartass

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
05-10-2016, 03:20 AM
Agree as above.

Science is amoral but the application of it, how humans use it, depends on both morals and ethics.

It is ethical to make poisons that can cure, e.g. warfarin, it is ethical to apply these in therapeutic doses. To apply these in lethal doses is immoral.

Unless, if course, it is for euthanasia . . . Then the ethics and morality depend on values of human invention, where some humans claim the right to control the lives, or deaths, of other humans.

Who is ethical and moral there?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
05-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Morality is understanding the distinction between right and wrong and living according to that understanding, and ethics is the philosophy of how that morality guides individual and group behavior. The two are closely related, with morality being the foundation of ethics.

Reference.com

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-10-2016, 12:28 PM
(04-10-2016 08:25 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm with St.Evil on this.

I don't believe that a superstructure (corporation, family, religion etc.) has morals as an emergent property. Morals are personal.

Whereas we can have individual ethics and organisational ethics. Both of these factors drive individual behaviours. A collective of behaviours = culture.

Smartass

Thanks I think that clears it up for me. I know it seems simple but I feel how dyslexic people must feel when it comes to words when it comes to remembering concepts like these. It's like I can study them write essays on them but after a couple month of not hearing the bleeding words my mind just puts them in the recycle bin!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
05-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Morals are probably part of the survival mechanism.

Seems even animals have a moral dimension, we just added the rules we call ethics.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.