Differing manuscripts of Mark question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Differing manuscripts of Mark question
I was watching a talk by mark ehrman. He said the there were "lots" of manuscripts of the book of mark. I didn't know this. He said they all differ in ways. Does anyone know more about this or when/how the decision was made to declare a manuscript the "official " version of the book of mark? Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2014, 03:54 PM
RE: Differing manuscripts of Mark question
(10-04-2014 03:12 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  I was watching a talk by mark ehrman.

That's probably Bart Ehrman. You've been 'Marked'... Rolleyes

(10-04-2014 03:12 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  He said the there were "lots" of manuscripts of the book of mark. I didn't know this. He said they all differ in ways. Does anyone know more about this or when/how the decision was made to declare a manuscript the "official " version of the book of mark? Thanks

There are lots of manuscripts of all books in the New Testament. And yes, they all differ in lots of ways. I'm not sure if Mark is any more infested with variant readings than the other books (relatively speaking), but you can get an idea of the variants here. Mark does have one of the more famous variants, namely its ending. Is there anything in particular that you're wondering about? One could fill a library with books devoted to textual criticism, it's not exactly new stuff.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 2 users Like John's post
10-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks , I meant Bart. Have you read any of his books?
10-04-2014, 04:32 PM
(10-04-2014 04:02 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  Thanks , I meant Bart. Have you read any of his books?

I've read some, though not very recently. I think the last one I read was Forged, about a year ago. He's popping out books like there's no tomorrow, mind you. I think the most recent one came out just weeks if not days ago (How Jesus became God?). I like his writings, but I've probably watched more of his lectures and debates online (hours and hours). The one book that I still have to catch up on is Misquoting Jesus (people usually recommend that, can't speak for myself obviously).

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post