Difficulty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Difficulty
I'm a HUGE gamer, I play games religiously (get it?). And I have noticed that games are getting easier in my opinion. I kind of miss the old days where if you want to beat a game or get good at it, there was challenge, and you had to give it your best. Now you just simply mash buttons or shoot anything that moves. I would like to know if you think games are getting easier and do you think that's a good thing. Personally, I think games should have more challenge to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 07:54 PM
RE: Difficulty
Games I enjoy that are always challenging:

- Spore (to actually take over EVERY part of the galaxy takes a great deal of time and it's never the same depending on race)
- StarCraft - playing competitively against other players makes it very difficult and always changing, no game is usually the same
- Pax Imperia (very old game, VERY difficult, very time consuming, very strategic)
- Richard Burns Rally - not sure if you're into racing sims but this is a HARD ASS GAME TO PLAY, very realistic, very in depth, very hard. Very good.
- FIA GTR 2 - also a great sim, VERY HARD, the ai is VERY GOOD and if you think that's crazy, try against players online who are track whores in real life who play this game for practice.
06-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Id say that shooting everything that moves and mashing buttons has allways been the crux of computer games..... from old skool computers up to todays modern consoles.

Games seemed to me to be harder when I was growing up..... because I was a child and didnt really have the patience to complete some of them....... although I did complete a lot of them.

Today on my 360 there is achievements....... to actually complete a game 100% can take a lot. I dont think I will ever shoot every single pigeon on GTA4....... I dont think I will ever complete prototype in the hardest difficulty setting........ there is no way I will ever complete Geometry wars evolved with 9 lives, 9 bombs and reach a score of 1,000,000 points without dying.

I think there are easy games and hard games........... much like there was easy games and hard games back then on my days of the Spectrum/amiga/master system/megadrive/playstation.

Try getting a kill with an M16..... a tank.... and a jet without dying on BF3..... that is a tough cookie Censored

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
07-04-2012, 02:11 AM
You want difficulty? Go play Dark Souls.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
07-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Dark souls... Y U NO HAVE PC!?!?!
07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
(07-04-2012 02:16 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Dark souls... Y U NO HAVE PC!?!?!
because console is cheaper and requires less work to operate.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Sad

I haz a sad.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
08-04-2012, 06:45 PM
This is a sad truth us gamers need to come to terms with. While there are still several games out there with a difficulty level you're looking for, they're becoming fewer and further in-between to find. If you think about it, there are several logical reasons as to why games are trending to the lower side of the difficulty scale.

Back in the day, before gaming consoles, we had the arcade machines. These games were designed to be the most challenging for one simple reason. Quarters! They harder the game, the more money you had to spend to beat the game. Gamers had to learn how to become good at the game so they'd spend less money. When the first couple generations of consoles came out, their game libraries were based off of these arcade machines and some games were just ported over.

As the years went on, gaming became less of a niche demographic and more widely excepted. As more and more people got into gaming, developers had to start accommodating these new players. Now it's not unusual to find your parents playing FarmVille on Facebook or Angry Birds on their phones.

So basically, the points I'm trying to make are:
-Technology developed past the point where we needed to spend a few quarters at an arcade and became buy the full game for your console.
-As the player base expanded, games needed to adapt to include the new market of players and not turn them away.

Don't give up hope. There are still challenging games out there, you just need to keep looking!

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
09-04-2012, 05:00 AM
I see this trend as well. One thing I remember about old RPGs was that you had to solve some difficult puzzles to get through the plot. Look at Dragon Age, there's maybe one or two puzzles, both of which are pretty easy. Then look at dragon age 2, there's no puzzles at all. And combat has become laughably easy. There's no friendly fire until you turn it up to Insanity. Additionally, these games are way too forgiving in terms of making bad choices and it is really easy to get a perfect game. Play Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 back to back, on the same difficulty, and notice how much less challenging Mass Effect 3 is. All weapons are unlocked for all classes, no sway on the sniper rifle, no minigames to hack or bypass. Sounds like the developers stripped anything remotely challenging for the sake of casual gamers.
I think these games are hoping to appeal to the casual gamer as well as the mouldy oldy gamers who prefer something challenging. What they really do is appeal to casual gamers, and we end up buying them because there's really no choice. So they keep making money, and they keep doing what they're doing.

Another annoying thing that might just be in my head: Games are getting shorter.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 3 users Like Smooshmonster's post
09-04-2012, 05:49 PM
As much as I enjoyed Saints row the Third I know I would enjoy it alot more if it was actually challanging the whole way through, I didn't even try normal difficulty, hard straight away and even then it started to get really easy. The beginning was a bit challanging but after you unlock upgrades you're a god after a while. I started it over again and now I only buy upgrades when I really need them but now I have alot of money so I can pretty much buy anything I want. If only there was a mod that made it all more challanging.

Red Orchestra 2 is quite challanging because it's multiplayer, it's a semi realistic WWII game set in stalingrad.

And if you really want a challange try the Misery mod for Call of Pripyat. Just make sure to quicksave every minute.