Digging to China.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2013, 03:38 PM
RE: Digging to China.
(22-01-2013 03:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Not if you pop up from digging down through.
Just before you dig UP into the water, you would stop, and think, "oh wait, what happens when the water fills in", and then you would go back through your tunnel, and get some gear, or dig into one of the alien pod spheres, and after you knock and ask them if they want to buy a Watchtower, they would have you come in and stay for dinner, or at least some tea.
This Watchtower? Don't see it ending too well... The rest of it sounds like fun, though. I'm off to get the digging gear.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2013, 04:03 PM
(22-01-2013 03:21 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(22-01-2013 03:19 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  QUESTIONS:

Assuming the tunnel was lined with some sort of material that prevented collapse due to tectonic shifting, and magma:

What would the air pressure be like at the core?
What would the ambient heat be like at the core?

I'm more interested about the gravity.

Wouldn't I just endlessly go between the two ends? *you know, assuming away those annoying things like rotation

The air pressure would increase, but so would the heat. You would be at far greater risk from the heat. In fact, the Western Deep gold mine near Johannesburg is about 3.5km deep and the temperatures at the lower levels would kill the miners quickly, so they pump in refrigerated air to keep them cool enough to survive, but the air pressure there is only about 1.4 times the pressure on the surface (actually with all the air pumps on, it gets up to about 2x surface pressure, it's only about 1.4x when the pumps are off).

You ignored the pressure. Not air pressure, but the pressure of the molten stuff, and inside that, the solid inner core. At it's best, it's about 3.5 million times the air pressure at the surface of the earth. These pressures are enormous, so much pressure that stone, iron, etc., are all incapable of remaining solid (that's right, I said incapable) at this pressure. But the pressure goes up even more. Stone can't even get down that deep, it's too light and too liquid. Only metal at the earth's core. Here the pressure is so intense that the melting temperature of the iron actually goes up so that even though the pressure is greater, the iron can stay solid.

Let's just leave it at 3.5 million atmospheres.

So first thing to do is survive the pressure. You need more than two-by-fours to shore up the tunnel you're digging. Pretty fancy alloys, and lots of it, to survive those pressures or your tunnel will be crushed like bubble wrap under a tank tread.

Assuming you figure out the pressure, next is the heat. At the core, the temperature is about 5,700 K (5,430 °C; 9,800 °F). That's hot. Bring lots of super insulators and freon. If you're going to survive this trip, you have to reduce the temperature by about 99%.

Now, if you figure that out, the air pressure is nothing. Sure, it will go up, but not so much that it would crush you. You probably will need your own life support system, like the southeastern use, because the pressure might keep you from breathing properly. But as long as you have your own contained air and breathing apparatus, the air pressure would be the least of your worries on this trip. Interestingly, once you complete the tunnel, the air pressure would equalize and the lowest pressure would be at the center of your tunnel.

Gravity would be interesting. It will lessen the deeper you go, until it reaches 0 at the exact center of the core. Free fall. Or more accurately, no fall. Yes, science geeks, I know it wouldn't be perfectly zero because the earth is not a sphere, and other celestial sources of gravity would affect you still. But let's call it zero because it's really close. Then as you ascend from the core to "China" you're no longer digging down; you're digging up. How fun. Bring a long ladder. On the plus side, earth removal is easy, just let it fall back to the core behind you.

Now, if you built a full tunnel, shored up, insulated, perfectly straight (and extended the tunnel out of the ocean into the air above so the Indian Ocean wouldn't flood into the earth's core), you could jump in, but the rotation of the earth would cause you to almost immediately hit the walls and slide down rather than fall down. Assuming you could compensate for this (say, by using glider wings), then you'd fall toward the core, but your rate of fall would slow significantly as the air resistance slows you down but gravity is weaker so it fails to pull you as fast as it did near the surface. Your free fall would end somewhere not far past the center of the core, with no gravity pulling you and the air slowing you, you wouldn't get far.

If you hermetically seal the tunnel and suck out all the air and tried this jump, your glider fins would be useless so let's switch to magnetic repulsion to keep you in the center of the tunnel. Now with nothing to slow you down, you'll initially increase your speed but as gravity lessens it will have less and less effect on you. You'll shoot past the core and fly upward, now slowing down slowly at first but faster as you approach "China") until you eventually slow to a stop at the surface. By "surface", I mean exactly the same distance from the core as that from which you initially jumped.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
22-01-2013, 05:08 PM
I already know I'll come out somewhere in the middle of Spain.

They have a competition called Earth Sandwich (have or had? I don't remember) where the challenge is to place a slice of bread on the ground and then at that exact point on the opposite side of the world place another slice of bread. Team that won it did NZ to Spain.

edit: Alaejos in Spain. Town with a population of 1,600 people.
When I'm filthy rich I think I'm gonna visit that town.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
22-01-2013, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 10:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-01-2013 05:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  edit: Alaejos in Spain. Town with a population of 1,600 people.
When I'm filthy rich I think I'm gonna visit that town.

You're more likely to visit that town if you plan to visit it even if you ain't filthy rich. ... Vera's pretty good at this globetrotting shit and she don't seem filthy rich.

The odds of me getting filthy rich is better than the odds of me being yokozuna, but only marginally. My goal is to try and do something useful. I'll likely fail, but at least I'm being compensated for trying. Being compensated for just trying is good enough for me. They ain't gonna pay me for just fucking trying until I got the education and credentials and experience and shit to warrant just fucking trying compensation. If I happen to get rich because of it? ... meh, whatever, just more fucking shit ManlyGirl needs to keep track of, no skin off my scrotum ... You gotta decide for yourself what's good enough for you. ... Being paid to just try my best to do something useful is good enough for Girly.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-01-2013, 08:57 PM
If you watch the new version of the film "Total Recall" they have allready done it and called it "The Fall". Drinking Beverage

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Heart A Bite of China, Episode One: Gifts of the Nature HU.Junyuan 1 336 28-03-2013 03:35 PM
Last Post: DLJ