Dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Dilemma
For those of you who don't know my family whom I live with is pretty religious.

Recently I've started to be aware of the steady stream of propaganda my younger brothers and sisters receive from their Catholic elementary school. It ranges from the standard pure nonsense to a poisonous pamphlet my brother brought home the other day about the evils of homosexuality. It includes such quotes as "Even someone who doesn't believe in God must admit that homosexuality is against nature... Imagine if every homosexual person were put in their own nation. They'd all die out in less than 100 years... Even if their minds are homosexual, their bodies are still heterosexual."

It kills me to stand by and watch as their minds are distorted by indoctrination, but I'm afraid if I try to speak against it to them, I'll destroy my relationship with my family. What can I do? Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2012, 06:09 PM
RE: Dilemma
(14-02-2012 06:07 PM)Ben Wrote:  For those of you who don't know my family whom I live with is pretty religious.

Recently I've started to be aware of the steady stream of propaganda my younger brothers and sisters receive from their Catholic elementary school. It ranges from the standard pure nonsense to a poisonous pamphlet my brother brought home the other day about the evils of homosexuality. It includes such quotes as "Even someone who doesn't believe in God must admit that homosexuality is against nature... Imagine if every homosexual person were put in their own nation. They'd all die out in less than 100 years... Even if their minds are homosexual, their bodies are still heterosexual."

It kills me to stand by and watch as their minds are distorted by indoctrination, but I'm afraid if I try to speak against it to them, I'll destroy my relationship with my family. What can I do? Sad

That subject you can approach with science and human rights. In general, things can be put in terms of liberal theology.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Maybe you could point out that most animals have been documented as having homosexual tendencies meaning that 'god' made them that way!!! Tongue

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
14-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Let the younger kids borrow your books. Answer questions if they ask, and engage them in normal conversation about their interests and concerns - in private. Perhaps share cool websites with them.
Lecturing, ranting and confrontation don't work in a family. The only thing that does is being a sympathetic big brother with different perspective.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
14-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Depending on their age, this book has been discussed a bit on a previous thread somewhere:

The Magic of Reality

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I suggest that you first make sure you are being respectful of your parents decisions about the education of their kids. You don't want them to perceive you as interfering. That said, you could ask your siblings some thought questions from time to time (why does god let good people starve to death, would you rather god answered your prayers for a new toy or help starving people to eat, etc). For Elementary age kids I'd be careful with sex-related topics as it can make them uncomfortable, but if you think it's OK with them you might try some similar questions related to homosexuality.
15-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Hey, Ben.

It's a tough position to be in. Think about it like this. What would you do if you lived in Alabama in the 50s and your siblings were coming home with information about how inferior blacks were to whites? More to the point, what DID people do? At some point, people just stood up and called bullshit. They told their families, "Look, I love you and all, but I can't hold my tongue about this crap anymore." Conversely, I'm sure this scene has played out in many homes to the shock of the parents too.

Families love. If they don't, there's something wrong. If you voice your opinion, there should be room for it; so long as you don't fly off the handle and call everyone a fucking idiot, cuz then you deserve to get bounced out the fucking door.

In the end, just listen to your friend and mine.
Dr. Seuss Wrote:Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
15-02-2012, 08:24 AM

If there is ONE thing i have a lot of...its AN OPINION! I have a loud mouth, no doubt.

But my advise to you is this...KNOW your place!

Are these YOUR kids? YOUR responsibility?
Is it YOUR house?

I am not talking about self preservation (keeping mouth shut to live at home) but a simple manner of respect.

Personally, I'd say nothing. Its a battle you wont win. Even hitch could not dismantle the Catholic Church..and he's a Pitt Bull!

Live by example. When in the company of brothers and sisters (not parents) and you hear hate speak...THEN would be a good time to 'gently' challenge such comments. Naturally the crap they'd speak (if they bought into said propaganda) will be nothing more than Parroting, at best.

You must learn to choose your battles wisely. Fighting this fight at the Nuclear Family Dinner Table will do nothing but create a huge problem with yelling and screaming, freaking younger family members out and basically TAKING this discussion off the table. It would be one of those "Young man, we'll NEVER discuss this again" type of proclamations.

At the end of the day, each of us humans must come to 'enlightened information' on our own time.

Homosexuality is one of those issues that can really mess up core family relationships. Even if you are Hetero with liberal social leanings...it will can effect you for a very long time.

Choose your battles wisely!

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
15-02-2012, 09:17 AM
(15-02-2012 08:10 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Ben.

It's a tough position to be in. Think about it like this. What would you do if you lived in Alabama in the 50s and your siblings were coming home with information about how inferior blacks were to whites? More to the point, what DID people do? At some point, people just stood up and called bullshit. They told their families, "Look, I love you and all, but I can't hold my tongue about this crap anymore." Conversely, I'm sure this scene has played out in many homes to the shock of the parents too.

Families love. If they don't, there's something wrong. If you voice your opinion, there should be room for it; so long as you don't fly off the handle and call everyone a fucking idiot, cuz then you deserve to get bounced out the fucking door.

In the end, just listen to your friend and mine.
Dr. Seuss Wrote:Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Hey Ghost,
Well said. And an extra 10 points for combining American History X with Dr. Suess in the same post. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel