Dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Dilemma
Religion is the opium of the (poor) masses.

Is that what this is about? If you are poor and have no religion, you have no opium?

Regardless of where on the scale of wealth you rank, if you are warm and your belly is full there are lots of things to enjoy for free. No religious opium needed. Money isn't everything. It only becomes truly important when you lack food and shelter.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
02-08-2016, 08:21 AM
(02-08-2016 08:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  Religion is the opium of the (poor) masses.

Is that what this is about? If you are poor and have no religion, you have no opium?

Regardless of where on the scale of wealth you rank, if you are warm and your belly is full there are lots of things to enjoy for free. No religious opium needed. Money isn't everything. It only becomes truly important when you lack food and shelter.

I read through and see you got to it first. Drinking the koolaid can effectively keep someone who might otherwise make a good go of it, down and out. Sounds quite miserable to me.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
02-08-2016, 09:50 AM
(02-08-2016 08:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  Regardless of where on the scale of wealth you rank, if you are warm and your belly is full there are lots of things to enjoy for free. No religious opium needed. Money isn't everything. It only becomes truly important when you lack food and shelter.

Hrm, there might be an interesting case made that the rise in relative wealth of today's poor, in comparison to the standards of past centuries, is what allowed for the significant rise in secularism among those not in the wealthy, educated elite. More full bellies means less people miserably praying over their cabbage soup just to have some sense of relief from their powerlessness.

That makes it a two-way street for our wealthy elites... if they keep people too poor and miserable for the religious nonsense to placate, they get their heads cut off (e.g. revolutionary France)... but if they let people become too comfortable, they lose some of the religious training that keeps the populace* compliant.

Haven't thought much about this, before... just throwing a few thoughts out there.

*ETA: If you look at what has been happening to bankers and those who insist on the "you must go it alone" model of Capitalism in the highly-secular nation of Iceland, for instance, it's pretty clear that they've had enough of the old way of doing things, there.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
02-08-2016, 10:02 AM
(02-08-2016 02:39 AM)omarsabbagh Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 12:08 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  No, atheists can't understand why there are rich and poor. God is needed for that.

And one of these Jews even talked about Marx. Coincidence? I think not.

Laugh out load

Exactly "Szuchow" !!!
Much appreciated your opinion, thats what i wanted to say and still there is some like Aliza, who dont realize what i meant. Though I'am MINO in ur language lol.

Dilemma again and again:

If someone is born poor and cant get along to be rich, no way he can be atheist or think like us for he needs to believe more happy life is waiting after this poor one.
Religion suits him.

I'am poor and this is the only life we would have. there is no second one. OMGGGG That is miserable.
How poor are you if you have a computer and a connection to the internet? You don't know what poor means. I drive through neighborhoods on a regular basis where people are hungry. Kids come running to the car windows pleading for a few pennies. I have followed a pick up truck selling chicken feet, and chicken skin and gobs of chicken fat for a few pennies for the people to eat for a few pennies, and that chicken foot or a glob of chicken fat may be the only protein a kid gets this week. When my Social Security deposit is made I go and withdraw 10,000 pesos from an ATM, ever aware that that amount (about $220.00) is about what the people all around me have to live on for the month. Most of these people are Catholics, but have no idea what Catholics believe, none. Fly on down if you wanna see poor.
[+] 5 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
02-08-2016, 10:21 AM

These days religion isn't really the opium of the masses...

Opium tends to mellow people out, and mellow people don't start shit....

I figure religion is now the salvia of the masses, spiked with PCP, DMA and soaked in CS mace...............

It'd explain all the pissed off, murdering religious types running around...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
02-08-2016, 10:32 AM
(02-08-2016 05:14 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 02:50 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  MINO? Also English isn't my first language.

I think the poster meant Marxist In Name Only.

I thought that it was short for 'Minotaur'.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
02-08-2016, 10:45 AM
(02-08-2016 10:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

These days religion isn't really the opium of the masses...

I figure religion is now the salvia of the masses, spiked with PCP, DMA and soaked in CS mace...............

I smoked opium once or twice in the early twenties. It does mellow you out... at first. When you crash, you become incredibly anxious and paranoid. Then you take a blue shit.

It has a real nice smell, though.

EDIT: MY early twenties, not THE early twenties. Tongue

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
02-08-2016, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2016 11:28 AM by Szuchow.)
(02-08-2016 10:02 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  How poor are you if you have a computer and a connection to the internet? You don't know what poor means.

Former text deleted. I took it personally and it appear that answer wasn't even directed at me. Having said that look below:

Edit 2: I saw that you probably referring to omarsabbagh in your answer, but I still think that you're wrong. Having laptop and internet connection does not make one not poor.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-08-2016, 10:54 AM
(02-08-2016 10:45 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 10:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  These days religion isn't really the opium of the masses...

I smoked opium once or twice in the early twenties. It does mellow you out... at first. When you crash, you become incredibly anxious and paranoid. Then you take a blue shit.

It has a real nice smell, though.

EDIT: MY early twenties, not THE early twenties. Tongue

I had a friend on Kodiak Island who gave me a 1 inch ball of raw opium (early 80's).... I smoked it for a week or so -- and then I gave it away..... It would have been waaaaayyy too easy to smoke all the rest of it........ Very mellow buzz.........

Years later someone on a motorcycle run asked if I wanted to smoke some opium.... "HELL YES".... It wasn't opium.... It tasted like burning bubblegum...... probably PCP or some other shit.... I cussed the guy out for it...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-08-2016, 11:06 AM
(02-08-2016 09:50 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 08:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  Regardless of where on the scale of wealth you rank, if you are warm and your belly is full there are lots of things to enjoy for free. No religious opium needed. Money isn't everything. It only becomes truly important when you lack food and shelter.

Hrm, there might be an interesting case made that the rise in relative wealth of today's poor, in comparison to the standards of past centuries, is what allowed for the significant rise in secularism among those not in the wealthy, educated elite. More full bellies means less people miserably praying over their cabbage soup just to have some sense of relief from their powerlessness.

I can see this happening.
It is also interesting to note that the relationship between religiosity and income as Dom implies holds for party affiliations. You see it play out here in the US State to State.

Religiosity rank of US States

[Image: Religious+Correlations.png]

A quick cross-reference shows that if you compare income to political affiliations

[Image: Simple2008PresElections-USA-states-565x389_6.png]

vs

AMERICA’S RICHEST AND POOREST STATES
50. Mississippi – Median household income: $39,680 Poverty rate: 21.5%
49. West Virginia – Median household income: $41,059 Poverty rate: 18.3%
48. Arkansas – Median household income: $41,262 Poverty rate: 18.9%
47. Alabama – Median household income: $42,830 Poverty rate: 19.3%
46. Kentucky – Median household income: $42,958 Poverty rate: 19.1%
45. Tennessee – Median household income: $44,361 Poverty rate: 18.3%
44. Louisiana – Median household income: $44,555 Poverty rate: 19.8%
43. New Mexico – Median household income: $44,803 Poverty rate: 21.3%
42. South Carolina – Median household income: $45,238 Poverty rate: 18.0%
41. Montana – Median household income: $46,328 Poverty rate: 15.4%
40. North Carolina – Median household income: $46,556 Poverty rate: 17.2%
39. Florida – Median household income: $47,463 Poverty rate: 16.5%
38. Oklahoma – Median household income: $47,529 Poverty rate: 16.6%
37. Idaho – Median household income: $47,861 Poverty rate: 14.8%
36. Missouri – Median household income: $48,363 Poverty rate: 15.5%
35. Ohio – Median household income: $49,308 Poverty rate: 15.8%
34. Georgia – Median household income: $49,321 Poverty rate: 18.3%
33. Indiana – Median household income: $49,446 Poverty rate: 15.2%
32. Maine – Median household income: $49,462 Poverty rate: 14.1%
31. Michigan – Median household income: $49,847 Poverty rate: 16.2%
30. Arizona – Median household income: $50,068 Poverty rate: 18.2%
29. South Dakota – Median household income: $50,979 Poverty rate: 14.2%
28. Oregon – Median household income: $51,075 Poverty rate: 16.6%
27. Nevada – Median household income: $51,450 Poverty rate: 15.2%
26. Kansas – Median household income: $52,504 Poverty rate: 13.6%
25. Wisconsin – Median household income: $52,622 Poverty rate: 13.2%
24. Nebraska – Median household income: $52,686 Poverty rate: 12.4%
23. Texas – Median household income: $53,035 Poverty rate: 17.2%
22. Pennsylvania – Median household income: $53,234 Poverty rate: 13.6%
21. Iowa – Median household income: $53,712 Poverty rate: 12.2%
20. Vermont – Median household income: $54,166 Poverty rate: 12.2%
19. Rhode Island – Median household income: $54,891 Poverty rate: 14.3%
18. Wyoming – Median household income: $57,055 Poverty rate: 11.2%
17. Illinois – Median household income: $57,444 Poverty rate: 14.4%
16. New York – Median household income: $58,878 Poverty rate: 15.9%
15. North Dakota – Median household income: $59,029 Poverty rate: 11.5%
14. Delaware – Median household income: $59,716 Poverty rate: 12.5%
13. Utah – Median household income: $60,922 Poverty rate: 11.7%
12. Colorado – Median household income: $61,303 Poverty rate: 12.0%
11. Washington – Median household income: $61,366 Poverty rate: 13.2%
10. Minnesota – Median household income: $61,481 Poverty rate: 11.5%
9. California – Median household income: $61,933 Poverty rate: 16.4%
8. Virginia – Median household income: $64,902 Poverty rate: 11.8%
7. New Hampshire – Median household income: $66,532 Poverty rate: 9.2%
6. Massachusetts – Median household income: $69,160 Poverty rate: 11.6%
5. Hawaii – Median household income: $69,592 Poverty rate: 11.4%
4. Connecticut – Median household income: $70,048 Poverty rate: 10.8%
3. Alaska – Median household income: $71,583 Poverty rate: 11.2%
2. New Jersey – Median household income: $71,919 Poverty rate: 11.1%
1. Maryland- Median household income: $73,971 Poverty rate: 10.1%

The lower a State is on the Median Household Income chart the more religious it is and the more likely to be a Red State.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post