Dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Dilemma
So I'm babysitting a friend's 11 year old daughter this week, and she tells me puts on this song 'Our god is a loving god' and asks me if I know it.
I tell her I do not because I don't listen to such (overtly) christian music. (except Cat Stevens I suppose)
She is shocked and tells me she believes in god and has her holy communion in 2 weeks.
She was baptised so she was 'allowed' in, had some previous communion 'to belong' and now has a holy communion to 'trulyc belong among the christians'.

Now, as a convinced atheist, this is very hard for me to hear... Do I tell her about how her lifestyle and important aspects of her life are forbidden by the bible and the church? I don't know how her father, my friend, would respond to that. (he's a former commando turned dockworker Tongue) and ofcourse because he's a pretty good friend and he has the right to raise his daughter as he sees fit (it's probably the girl's mother who does all those church things to her anyway, the parents are divorced).

I think I should just ask my friend sometime about what he thinks about it.

Thoughts?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 04:13 AM
RE: Dilemma
(03-04-2012 04:00 AM)Caveman Wrote:  So I'm babysitting a friend's 11 year old daughter this week, and she tells me puts on this song 'Our god is a loving god' and asks me if I know it.
I tell her I do not because I don't listen to such (overtly) christian music. (except Cat Stevens I suppose)
She is shocked and tells me she believes in god and has her holy communion in 2 weeks.
She was baptised so she was 'allowed' in, had some previous communion 'to belong' and now has a holy communion to 'trulyc belong among the christians'.

Now, as a convinced atheist, this is very hard for me to hear... Do I tell her about how her lifestyle and important aspects of her life are forbidden by the bible and the church? I don't know how her father, my friend, would respond to that. (he's a former commando turned dockworker Tongue) and ofcourse because he's a pretty good friend and he has the right to raise his daughter as he sees fit (it's probably the girl's mother who does all those church things to her anyway, the parents are divorced).

I think I should just ask my friend sometime about what he thinks about it.

Thoughts?
Good post! One way to deal with it would be to open a discussion about how Muslim or Buddhist or Jewish kids think similar things about their god. That way no one can argue that you weren't telling the truth, but you have helped the girl look outside her own reality.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 04:21 AM
What's the dilemma? That's something ya gotta discuss with the friend.

Or you could play the tune and do a parody... Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-04-2012, 04:31 AM
The dilemma is that I am naturally inclined to talk to her about it, but that my friend might not appreciate me telling his young daughter stuff like that.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
03-04-2012, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 05:01 AM by houseofcantor.)
Ah. My advice would be to rein it in, but you seem to be thinking along the same lines. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
03-04-2012, 04:53 AM
Remember who you are in that relationship and ask yourself if you want to keep it that way. This is another persons child and you are not to raise this child. My ex is a confirmed Catholic and she tried to raise a friend or should I say an ex friend of her's kid. she tried to quote/unquote, save the child by teaching her the scriptures against the parents wishes and now she can't even see the child.
[+] 4 users Like justmetoo's post
03-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Caveman, I can sympathise with your situation. My friend has a kid who I have been around since he was born, and babysat him often. His mother (my friend) is raising him to be a Christian and that frustrates me because he is so inquisitive and intelligent. I wanted to get him Richard Dawkin's "The Magic of Reality" for Christmas (incidentally, that's how I ended up joining this forum). But I was advised against it because it really would be too much of a slap in the face to his Christian parents.

I ended up buying him a telescope for Christmas instead. If I can't stifle his Christian education, at least I can encourage his love for science and reason.

Like HoC said, reign it in, and tread carefully. You don't want to ruin your friendship with her parents. But you can still be a positive influence in her life without directly bringing up religion.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 4 users Like Smooshmonster's post
03-04-2012, 05:03 AM
@Smooshmonster, hmmm, a more subtle approach, that's a pretty good idea. Thnx.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
03-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Tough question as you are basically asking what to do when you see child abuse (from the atheist perspective).
In America we can't touch this one. The parents have the right to abuse their kids here.
I have no answer.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
03-04-2012, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 02:19 PM by Caveman.)
Well, my faith in humanity has been restored! ^^

I talked to my friend later today and asked him if he is in fact christian and raising his daughter as such.
I told him I was an atheist and that I almoast started talking to his daughter about it.

He told me that he wasn't religious (didn't even really know what atheism was) neither was his ex-wife, the girl's mother.
She is however in a catholic school (nearly all schools in Belgium) and that the curriculum was pretty much around it as well.
He said he believes in live and let live and that he was going to indulge things like this.
By the time she grows up she will probably make her own choices anyway.
This is all pretty much in line with their entire family, which progressed through said events in the same way.
My girlfriend even studies on a catholic university because the lable 'catholic' will get her more job opportunities in the future rather than a secular school.

So I'll stick the sidelines and maybe give something like a telescope for her birthday Wink

Oh, and we decided to have movie night, first: The Addams Family, later Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
[+] 5 users Like Caveman's post