Dillahunty Summarizes the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Dillahunty Summarizes the Bible
Start at 24:45 if you want to skip to the good stuff.

To give you an idea of what to expect, here's how he describes Jesus and the crucifixion/resurrection:

God says "you know what? I'm going to come down, take human form, sacrifice myself to myself, to act as a loophole for rules I created that I can't circumvent." Consider

I think this might be the most brilliant and concise 3 minute summary and critique of God's actions from the creation through Jesus I've heard so far. I'm definitely going to rehearse this so it's ready and waiting in my debate toolbox. Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
05-11-2013, 06:41 PM
RE: Dillahunty Summarizes the Bible
Well, yeah.

How does an omniscient and omnipotent God get things done?

Clearly, incarnating himself in order to sacrifice himself to himself to absolve his creations of a fate he gave them. Makes perfect sense.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
05-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Dillahunty is one of the best examples of a top online "atheist celebrity" being rational and empathetic all of the time (from what we see).

I hate being gushy, so I need to find a serious fault in the guy. Maybe him being too dogmatic in regards to "free speech"? He's fine with, say, KKK, or pedo marches in public.

But yeah, Dillahunty is great source to mine for quotes and explanations to use later.
05-11-2013, 11:43 PM
(05-11-2013 06:17 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Start at 24:45 if you want to skip to the good stuff.

To give you an idea of what to expect, here's how he describes Jesus and the crucifixion/resurrection:

God says "you know what? I'm going to come down, take human form, sacrifice myself to myself, to act as a loophole for rules I created that I can't circumvent." Consider

I think this might be the most brilliant and concise 3 minute summary and critique of God's actions from the creation through Jesus I've heard so far. I'm definitely going to rehearse this so it's ready and waiting in my debate toolbox. Thumbsup

I skipped to the 'good' stuff. It wasn't that good. Good grief, sometimes I feel like switching to your side just so I could write the arguments for you. By all means memorise, rehearse, use props if you want, but unless all this guy can do is 'hit-and-run' atheism- long spiels, lots of style, little substance, and then not actually staying for the debate, I think you can do better. I'm seriously scared now because I've found someone I agree less with than Dawkins!

On the other hand, and to be fair, his callers are using 'interesting' arguments to say the least. I was watching his eyes glaze over, the realised mine were doing the same. On the off chance, since people do seem to be a bit 'gushy' over him, has he done anything where it's just him presenting what he thinks so I can get a better gauge or does he only do callers?
05-11-2013, 11:58 PM
(05-11-2013 11:43 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 06:17 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Start at 24:45 if you want to skip to the good stuff.

I skipped to the 'good' stuff. It wasn't that good. Good grief, sometimes I feel like switching to your side just so I could write the arguments for you. By all means memorise, rehearse, use props if you want, but unless all this guy can do is 'hit-and-run' atheism- long spiels, lots of style, little substance, and then not actually staying for the debate, I think you can do better. I'm seriously scared now because I've found someone I agree less with than Dawkins!

On the other hand, and to be fair, his callers are using 'interesting' arguments to say the least. I was watching his eyes glaze over, the realised mine were doing the same. On the off chance, since people do seem to be a bit 'gushy' over him, has he done anything where it's just him presenting what he thinks so I can get a better gauge or does he only do callers?

Do you disagree with the evolutionary biologist Dawkins or some other Dawkins? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2013, 12:14 AM
That would be the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins I meant.
06-11-2013, 12:16 AM
(06-11-2013 12:14 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  That would be the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins I meant.

That was meant as "Do you disagree with him as biologist or him as atheist?"

Sorry that wasn't clear.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2013, 12:27 AM
(06-11-2013 12:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 12:14 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  That would be the evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins I meant.

That was meant as "Do you disagree with him as biologist or him as atheist?"

Sorry that wasn't clear.

That's fine Smile As an atheist. To my absolute horror I actually agree with him occasionally on some minor points, but I find his arguments very aggressive and not always very well backed up.
06-11-2013, 04:19 AM
(05-11-2013 11:43 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  ...
has he done anything where it's just him presenting what he thinks so I can get a better gauge or does he only do callers?

Yes, tons of stuff... much of it posted on TTA somewhere.

I posted his anti-abortion debate recently and his speeches regarding why secular morality is superior to biblical morality (actually, biblical immorality) are particularly fine.

Go a-googling.

Smile

A taster...

06-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Love it!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man