Dillahunty Summarizes the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 09:36 AM
RE: Dillahunty Summarizes the Bible
And the sad part about that video is, . . . . the guy completely disregarded what Matt said and tried to rationalize his own absurd beliefs.

I enjoy seeing videos of Matt. My favorites on The Atheist Experience are Matt and Tracie.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
06-11-2013, 09:50 AM
(06-11-2013 04:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  A taster...

He is much better in this format, than getting frustrated on the call in show. where he comes off as dismissive sometimes

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
It's great, thanks for sharing! Wish he could have answered the last question though.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
I remember Dillahunty! Bald chap, does those pieces to camera in his car.

I also remember when he got shame-circled at the A+ forums, declared a counter revolutionary and an enemy of the people before being banninated for all time.

Good times. Big Grin

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
[+] 1 user Likes nooneofconsequence's post
06-11-2013, 05:12 PM
That's the not the full "superiority of secularity morality" video - I think this is the full one:
http://blip.tv/the-atheist-experience-tv...ty-4192742

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-11-2013, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 09:00 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
(05-11-2013 11:43 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  I skipped to the 'good' stuff. It wasn't that good. Good grief, sometimes I feel like switching to your side just so I could write the arguments for you. By all means memorise, rehearse, use props if you want, but unless all this guy can do is 'hit-and-run' atheism- long spiels, lots of style, little substance, and then not actually staying for the debate, I think you can do better. I'm seriously scared now because I've found someone I agree less with than Dawkins!

On the other hand, and to be fair, his callers are using 'interesting' arguments to say the least. I was watching his eyes glaze over, the realised mine were doing the same. On the off chance, since people do seem to be a bit 'gushy' over him, has he done anything where it's just him presenting what he thinks so I can get a better gauge or does he only do callers?

First, you may want to go back and watch the video from the beginning. He spent the first 24 minutes trying to reason with this caller, so 'hit-and-run' isn't really a fair characterization of what went on here. They already had the debate.

Second, this "prop" isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a first resort. However, it is handy to have it at your disposal when the person you're speaking with is being intellectually dishonest and needs to be figuratively hit over the head. Bangin In this case, the topic of slavery came up and the caller tried to rationalize it as being inconsistent with God's character even though the Old Testament clearly gives instructions regarding slavery including that it's acceptable to beat your slave as long as they don't die within two days. If the Bible is supposed to reveal God's character, then what does it say about him? I think Matt's "spiel" summed it up pretty well.

Third, there are many arguments to support the assertion that theists have not met their burden of proof. You touched on biology, but geology and cosmology both also point to natural origins for life and the universe. Rationally, God doesn't hold up either. The attributes Christians typical ascribe to him makes God logically contradictory (omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevelent, and omnipresent). Finally, the thing that I think should be the biggest problem for most believers of any religion is the existence of so many different religions that make contradictory claims. In order to be intellectually consistent, Christians, Muslims, Mormons, Jews, etc. need to either apply the same criteria they use to reject other religions to their own beliefs or accept all claims of miracles and divine inspiration as being equally valid.

That's not an exhaustive list, and considering that books have been written on the subject, I doubt I could squeeze everything into one post anyway. But if you still want to come over to our side an help us come up with more arguments, we'll be happy to have you. Wink

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
07-11-2013, 12:33 AM
07-11-2013, 12:44 AM
(06-11-2013 07:41 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  First, you may want to go back and watch the video from the beginning. He spent the first 24 minutes trying to reason with this caller, so 'hit-and-run' isn't really a fair characterization of what went on here. They already had the debate.
That was all just the one caller? Might forgive him that one then Smile

(06-11-2013 07:41 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Second, this "prop" isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a first resort. However, it is handy to have it at your disposal when the person you're speaking with is being intellectually dishonest and needs to be figuratively hit over the head. Bangin
Glad you think so Thumbsup. I think we all have a bit of baggage we bring to this forum. Some have the 'illogical, disrespective aguments from Christians' kind. I have the 'atheist throws out a random Bible verse without context, laughs in my face then runs away before you can actually answer' kind. Might cloud my judgement at times Blush. But like I said, if that was half an hour of just the one guy, I'd want to just shut them up myself.

(06-11-2013 07:41 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  In order to be intellectually consistent, Christians, Muslims, Mormons, Jews, etc. need to either apply the same criteria they use to reject other religions to their own beliefs or accept all claims of miracles and divine inspiration as being equally valid.

Must...resist...apologetic....rant Smartass

(06-11-2013 07:41 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  But if you still want to come over to our side an help us come up with more arguments, we'll be happy to have you. Wink
And do your job for you? Where's the fun in that?
[+] 1 user Likes Yasmin's post
07-11-2013, 12:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 12:58 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Matt Dillahunty @ Oklahoma Freethought Convention 2011

It is not a double post, his speech was so long that it had to be split due to YouTube's size restriction policy (at that time).

Also I'm sure you can see the other speakers, they being Dr. William Morgan, Abbie Smith, AronRa, and Seth Andrews himself. All of the presentations are on The Thinking Atheist channel on YouTube and the playlist can be found HERE.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
(07-11-2013 12:44 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 07:41 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  In order to be intellectually consistent, Christians, Muslims, Mormons, Jews, etc. need to either apply the same criteria they use to reject other religions to their own beliefs or accept all claims of miracles and divine inspiration as being equally valid.

Must...resist...apologetic....rant Smartass

Don't let me stop you!

Even if you don't choose to do the full rant, I'd still be interested to know how you became a Christian and the main reason for your conversion.

(07-11-2013 12:44 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 07:41 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  But if you still want to come over to our side an help us come up with more arguments, we'll be happy to have you. Wink
And do your job for you? Where's the fun in that?

If you came to our side, then it wouldn't be "my" job anymore. It would be "our" job - kind of like a team project. Big Grin

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson