Dillahunty vs Slick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Dillahunty vs Slick
Matt Dillahunty and Matt Slick debated the logical absolutes, TAG, and related issues last night on the Bible Thumping Wingnut podcast. Slick is definitely slick. He ducked and dodged, refused to acknowledge fallacies, and generally made one facepalm-worthy statement after another. His thinking is completely black & white and he is unable to process anything that doesn't fit his preconceptions.

It is a couple of hours long but there's some meat scattered throughout. I'm not entirely comfortable with the position that if the cosmos did not exist the logical absolutes would still hold but I'm open to being convinced of that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-03-2015, 12:23 AM
RE: Dillahunty vs Slick
A possibly good argument might be the following:

One could imagine universes with different logic / mathematics.
Like, ones where the ring structure of ordinal numbers is different, for example modular arithmetics - mod 5 maybe. You have 3 objects, add 3 more and you have one. Subtracting 3 from 2 yields 4. And so on.

In that worlds the "absolutes" would be different.

Along with Goedel's ideas, different systems may exist.

If M.Slick demonstrated that one system is compatible with Jesus, another one with Ahura Mazda, and still another with no gods at all, only then one could use the absoluts to infer something about existence of god/s.
26-03-2015, 01:16 AM
Ooh! I missed this when you posted it.

Thanks, oh fogless one.

26-03-2015, 02:51 AM
In my mind Dillahunty is the 5th horseman.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
26-03-2015, 09:25 AM
In my mind Dillahunty is a dill hole.. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
26-03-2015, 02:44 PM
I watched the Dillahunty debate, then I watched the Aaron Ra debate. That was funny! He had Slick twisted in knots, I thought Slick was about to have a heart attack. He was reduced to just repeating to Aaron- "you have faith!"

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition