Dimension

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Dimension
How many dimensions are there? I say two. Me and you. Time and surface. Now and then. The universe without, the universe within.

M-theory is ten (or 11 - I'm thinking 10 was Witten, the originator; while other contributors found 11 to maximize results), and stringy. I simply don't like string theory nor multi-verse. Pure Number (a personal hypothesis) may explain discrepancy, but I am a naive philosopher more than amateur scientist. Wink

Many assume space-time and count to 4. That's my number, right there; so I don't have a problem with that count. Although, frequently I visit Science 2.0, a blog of working scientists - and some of them physicists go off with this conclusions. Trinitarians, they are. Tongue

Thing about the deuce; works on paper. Sight is extrapolation from a pair of deuces. 4-level space time may be a pair of deuces: length and width, spacial; depth and time, temporal.

What do you think? This is atheism, after all - you are supposed to be thinking. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2011, 12:11 PM
RE: Dimension
I say there are infinite dimensions.

In our 3D world, we have projections of lower dimensions. Let's take 2D for example. Take for example the computer games we play. The 2D projection from the computer is a result of the manipulation of the 3D computer.

Now, what if we are merely projections from a 4th dimension. What if the "God" people fear is just a 4D kid playing Sims - Bastards Edition? That kid can be a projection from the 5th dimension, so on and so forth.

Mathematically, there are 11 dimensions, but things change, and anything is possible... WITH SCIENCE.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
11-11-2011, 06:17 PM
"In theoretical physics, M-theory is an extension of string theory in which 11 dimensions are identified. Because the dimensionality exceeds that of superstring theories in 10 dimensions, proponents believe that the 11-dimensional theory unites all five string theories (and supersedes them). Though a full description of the theory is not known, the low-entropy dynamics are known to be supergravity interacting with 2- and 5-dimensional membranes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

Good luck understanding any of this, as maybe 5 people in the world think they kind of understand it.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
11-11-2011, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 12:00 AM by PeterK.)
I believe that we can only guess at how many dimensions there are. But if i was to answer this i would say that the fathomable world consists of "more than 5 dimensions". Spacetime is the forth dimension which holds the 3 dimensions. the fifth dimension holds the different 4 dimension worlds where each of them have different blackholes. [hawking's paradox] The extra 6 other dimensions are all very farfetched theories from the string theory which have yet to become convincing. Though many scientists will agree that blackholes DO disappear from our universe and so the energy and mass must go somewhere else. None of the other 4 dimensions can answer this so there is five.

Why i say there is more than 5 is because the visible universe is about 1/20th of what the mass of the universe is. Dark energy and Dark matter consists of the rest. Since they don't exist or have yet to be contained in our dimensions i can only conclude that there are more than 5 dimensions.
(11-11-2011 06:17 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  "In theoretical physics, M-theory is an extension of string theory in which 11 dimensions are identified. Because the dimensionality exceeds that of superstring theories in 10 dimensions, proponents believe that the 11-dimensional theory unites all five string theories (and supersedes them). Though a full description of the theory is not known, the low-entropy dynamics are known to be supergravity interacting with 2- and 5-dimensional membranes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

Good luck understanding any of this, as maybe 5 people in the world think they kind of understand it.

You must understand the the M/string theory is the alternative to the big bang theory. The big bang theory ends at the singularity because it is impossible to know what happened BEFORE the big bang. That is why it is sketchy to propose a theory before the big bang. From the WMAP wilkinson microwave something something map we infer the theory of the big bang. But we have really next to nothing to propel us to any indirect proof of anything before the big bang, which is what the M/string theory saids.

yeahhhhhhhh.... lol
[+] 1 user Likes PeterK's post
12-11-2011, 01:04 AM
It's all perception isn't it? What we perceive and what another creature perceives are different so are both of those perceptions separate dimensions? Maybe.
Existence is in the eye of the beholder.

Scientifically I highly doubt we will ever see the end or the beginning. I firmly believe that everytime we assume we've seen the end we've in actuality barely scratched the surface.
I am finding myself jealous of people who can shut their minds or typical animals who live in ignorance.
I'm awake right now because I can't stop thinking. Seeing questions like this one doesn't help lol.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
12-11-2011, 06:26 AM
The more we learn, the less we know…
Well that’s obviously bollocks, the more we learn the more we thirst for knowledge?
Questions, like knowledge, increase at a geometric rate?
Something like that.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
12-11-2011, 07:20 AM
In mathematics, it's "any colour you like;" meaning as many dimensions as you can imagine. You can even name your dimension if you have a theorem for it - but I'm thinking they're over two hundred. Mathematicians... Tongue

It is my consideration that string theory is a mathematical construction whose practical value is approaching zero. I often check the blog of Lubos Motl, the last happy string theorist, to keep updated.

(not saying I understand everything Lubos goes on about, but Johnny no slouch in the brains department... usually. Tongue)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]