Dinner with a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Dinner with a Christian
Tonight I am having dinner with a few evangelical christians. The last time I saw them I was religiously ambiguous and they seemed fine by it. Probably because they thought they could proselytize me. The circumstance has changed of course.

The subject of religion will be brought up and I know I will get questioned. However I am unprepared because I am only in the beginning stages of science literacy. What useful information and arguments should I prepare myself with for tonight? What was your experience dealing with evangelics for the first time?

“[Science] works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works...bitches.” - Richie D Da Illest
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2015, 11:25 PM
RE: Dinner with a Christian
If you're not comfortable or confident enough to challenge their claims with facts (biblical / scientific / etc.) stay focused on epistemology.

Challenge the process they use to determine what is true.

Faith (belief without evidence or in spite of evidence) loses to logic and reason every time.

Enjoy your meal

Smile

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
29-07-2015, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2015 10:13 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Acknowledge your lack of faith, and ask them for evidence. When they say "You must have faith", redirect them to point A, that you have none.

The argument is theirs to make, and you don't owe anyone an answer for your lack of belief.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Point out that expecting someone who is "in the beginning stages of science literacy" to have answers to everything they say and take the moments where they can't answer something as indicating they're right is completely unfair, illogical, and frankly kind of mean.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
30-07-2015, 12:07 AM
I've been testing the waters and I've found it pretty easy. The trick is to make them do all the arguing. Ask for verifiable evidence; not just evidence bt verifiable evidence. Point out that the Bible is self-serving, they can't cite a Bible verse as evidence that the Bible is correct about something. If they counter with writings by Josephus and the Roman historians, point out that these are 2nd and 3rd hand accounts that would be rejected as hearsay. Further, these writings talk about the Christians and their beliefs, not about Jesus directly. Do not let them frame the discussion in terms of the Bible. Ultimately their only argument is "The Bible says so." Deprive them of that and they have nothing.
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
30-07-2015, 12:21 AM
I can come from the epistemology angle and use Hitchen's razor to refute if they challenge me on evidence. I will establish early on that I am early in science literacy so anything I don't say isn't an indication of forfeit. They're quite pleasant people (maybe except for one) so I hope diplomacy won't be an issue.

I am revisiting the Christopher Hitchens vs. William Lane Craig debate because if I recall correctly, epistemology was a point they debated.

“[Science] works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works...bitches.” - Richie D Da Illest
30-07-2015, 01:52 AM
Even if you can't answer all their potential questions its important not to let them overwhelm you in the first place. Not saying they will but its a tactic used to keep you going in circles. I've fallen for it myself as a budding atheist in a conversation with believers and I let them get me answering so many different questions I failed to realize they were essentially asking the same questions again and again, ignoring and dismissing my answers.

Stay calm. Stay focused. And murder them all with your salad fork if they piss you off.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
30-07-2015, 01:57 AM
You are under no obligation to defend or promote your world view. Tell them you're not interested in converting them to atheism, however you would be more than happy to listen to their case on why Christianity is correct. See if they make a compelling case. If you don't find thier case compelling, don't be afraid to tell them why....especially if they ask.
[+] 2 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
30-07-2015, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't want to go to dinner with a militant atheist attitude but I also don't want to go into the lamb's den empty handed.

[+] 1 user Likes HappyTiger's post
30-07-2015, 03:08 AM
(30-07-2015 03:06 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  Thanks for the advice guys. I don't want to go to dinner with a militant atheist attitude but I also don't want to go into the lamb's den empty handed.

If they instigate, get as militant as you want.