Dinner with a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2015, 08:55 AM
RE: Dinner with a Christian
Dinner was delicious. The steak was a bit overcooked but the rice was on point. I couldn't get a beer because of a buddhist holiday. Oh, and it was fun playing mediator between two christians debating amongst each other about childhood issues that (from an atheist perspective) stem from their religious upbringings. I won't go into details because it was told to me with confidence but their parents made some poor life choices to please the church. Which ultimately affected their childhood yet their insight was: What Would Jesus Do? I wanted to point out the simple solution to their conundrum: What Would Sagan Do? I saw tonight that some people use god as a crutch for their personal inadequacies. The solution is so simple...stop holding your breath for Jesus and start taking control of your life. Your prayers are going unheard...

“[Science] works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works...bitches.” - Richie D Da Illest
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like HappyTiger's post
30-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Glad it came off well. Gosh, I hate overdone steak.
30-07-2015, 10:29 AM
"I can't even get a decent hamburger anymore, they cook the shit out of everything now because everyone is afraid of food poisoning. Hey, where's your sense of adventure? Take a fucking chance will you." - George Carlin

I wished I was more aggressive. Now I'm feeling so shitty about myself because I let that poor woman believe her familial problems is because of her and her inability to live up to Jesus. Next time, I am going unfiltered.

“[Science] works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works...bitches.” - Richie D Da Illest
[+] 2 users Like HappyTiger's post
30-07-2015, 10:49 AM
(29-07-2015 11:07 PM)HappyTiger Wrote:  The subject of religion will be brought up and I know I will get questioned. However I am unprepared because I am only in the beginning stages of science literacy. What useful information and arguments should I prepare myself with for tonight? What was your experience dealing with evangelics for the first time?

I can understand not wanting to be asked a barrage of questions that you know are wrong but have yet really found the best way to express way.

There is always one strategy that will always work. Keeping asking them questions using the socrates method and put the onus on them to explain what they believe. It will drive them nuts. Be like the child that keeps asking them 'why?'.

Every answer they provide will bring up a load more questions that will be even harder to explain. Go for the details!

e.g. so how exactly does prayer work? How does God read our minds? How do we know this? How do I know that you are not imagining it?

And when they come to the need for faith, continuing asking. How do you know that faith is just not a way of avoiding the difficult questions so you can continue to believe what you want?

etc

Failing that use the default strategy in fighting when you are not confident using any techniques and just bite them.
30-07-2015, 11:13 AM
(30-07-2015 10:29 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  "I can't even get a decent hamburger anymore, they cook the shit out of everything now because everyone is afraid of food poisoning. Hey, where's your sense of adventure? Take a fucking chance will you." - George Carlin

I wished I was more aggressive. Now I'm feeling so shitty about myself because I let that poor woman believe her familial problems is because of her and her inability to live up to Jesus. Next time, I am going unfiltered.

You didn't "let" her believe anything. She chose to believe it.
30-07-2015, 11:55 AM
(29-07-2015 11:07 PM)HappyTiger Wrote:  Tonight I am having dinner with a few evangelical christians. The last time I saw them I was religiously ambiguous and they seemed fine by it. Probably because they thought they could proselytize me. The circumstance has changed of course.

The subject of religion will be brought up and I know I will get questioned. However I am unprepared because I am only in the beginning stages of science literacy. What useful information and arguments should I prepare myself with for tonight? What was your experience dealing with evangelics for the first time?

I wish I could have been the one invited, but I never get approached by Christians any more. Maybe I look mean or something because I haven't had one try to convert me in a while. The last time was in 2010. I was volunteering at my kids' school and a teacher there was a Mormon and was always trying to get me to come to her church. I finally told her I was an atheist and she left me alone from then on.

Now that I am philosophically armed against their nonsense, I never get a chance to use any of it in person.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
30-07-2015, 12:21 PM
(30-07-2015 08:55 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  Dinner was delicious. The steak was a bit overcooked but the rice was on point. I couldn't get a beer because of a buddhist holiday. Oh, and it was fun playing mediator between two christians debating amongst each other about childhood issues that (from an atheist perspective) stem from their religious upbringings. I won't go into details because it was told to me with confidence but their parents made some poor life choices to please the church.

Glad it went relatively well.

(30-07-2015 10:29 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  I wished I was more aggressive. Now I'm feeling so shitty about myself because I let that poor woman believe her familial problems is because of her and her inability to live up to Jesus. Next time, I am going unfiltered.

Good luck.
30-07-2015, 01:11 PM
(30-07-2015 10:29 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  I wished I was more aggressive. Now I'm feeling so shitty about myself because I let that poor woman believe her familial problems is because of her and her inability to live up to Jesus. Next time, I am going unfiltered.

You're not the poor woman's psychologists. You didn't indoctrinate the woman. You have no cause to feel shitty. Pity her if you must, but don't carry any guilt.

Be careful about going unfiltered. Friendly dinners can easily become nasty ones.
[+] 2 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
30-07-2015, 05:36 PM
(29-07-2015 11:07 PM)HappyTiger Wrote:  Tonight I am having dinner with a few evangelical christians. The last time I saw them I was religiously ambiguous and they seemed fine by it. Probably because they thought they could proselytize me. The circumstance has changed of course.

The subject of religion will be brought up and I know I will get questioned. However I am unprepared because I am only in the beginning stages of science literacy. What useful information and arguments should I prepare myself with for tonight? What was your experience dealing with evangelics for the first time?

You could tell them to fuck off and mind their own business. Drinking Beverage

That's unambiguous.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2015, 08:25 PM
(30-07-2015 11:13 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 10:29 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  "I can't even get a decent hamburger anymore, they cook the shit out of everything now because everyone is afraid of food poisoning. Hey, where's your sense of adventure? Take a fucking chance will you." - George Carlin

You didn't "let" her believe anything. She chose to believe it.

No, of course not. I didn't let her believe anything but while I was poking at my rice I was reminded that Uncle Ben said, "with great power comes great responsibility".

[+] 1 user Likes HappyTiger's post