Dinos farted themselves to death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Dinos farted themselves to death
Quote:Dinosaurs 'gassed' themselves into extinction, British scientists say

Published May 07, 2012
LONDON – Dinosaurs may have farted themselves to extinction, according to a new study from British scientists.
The researchers calculated that the prehistoric beasts pumped out more than 520 million tons (472 million tonnes) of methane a year -- enough to warm the planet and hasten their own eventual demise.
Until now, an asteroid strike and volcanic activity around 65 million years ago had seemed the most likely cause of their extinction.

Quote:'These dinosaurs may have produced more methane than all the modern sources put together.'
- Co-researcher David Wilkinson
Giant plant-eating sauropods were fingered as the key culprits in the study, which appears in the latest edition of the journal Current Biology. An average argentinosaurus, weighing around 90 tons (82 tonnes) and measuring 140 feet (42m), chomped its way through half a ton (half a tonne) of ferns a day, producing clouds of methane as the food broke down in its gut.
Professor Graeme Ruxton from St. Andrews University in Scotland and co-researcher David Wilkinson, from Liverpool John Moores University, worked out just how much of the greenhouse gas the billions of dinosaurs would have generated during the Mesozoic era, starting 250 million years ago.
"A simple mathematical model suggests that the microbes living in sauropod dinosaurs may have produced enough methane to have an important effect on the Mesozoic climate," Wilkinson said. "In fact, our calculations suggest these dinosaurs may have produced more methane than all the modern sources, natural and human, put together."
The dinosaur output of 520 million tons (472 million tonnes) is comparable to current natural and man-made emissions of the greenhouse gas, which scientists say is around 21 times more powerful than CO2 at trapping heat on Earth and causing climate change. Cows and other farm animals globally contribute up to 100 million tons (90 million tonnes) a year of methane.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/0...tists-say/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
RE: Dinos farted themselves to death
I saw that this morning too. LOL what a load of shit.

yes pun

[Image: 10_12.jpg]

I'm pretty sure this is a much more likely scenario.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Im with Germany on this one

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2012, 01:09 PM
(07-05-2012 01:06 PM)reverendjeremiah Wrote:  Im with Germany on this one
I don't even know who would publish this with their name on it. The geological evidence for an impact that caused global blackout is overwhelming. Not only is there evidence in many of the more recenly developed fossils but there is a 65 million year old 6 inch layer of volcanic ash and sediment on almost every exposed landmass on Earth.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
FAUXnews... sorry, can't click that.

The snippet was an entertaining read though. I actually just saw a show about dinosaurs and fossilized poop. They brought up a point that I never thought of... dinosaur feces is literally by the tons. The land they roamed had to be filled with mounds of fecal matter. So this vision of a pristine earth and lush forests has to include mounds and mounds of dino poop.

Interesting, but I still side with Meteor theory. I do entertain the idea that it could have been a mix of "bad luck" events.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Of course you are, you FARTING preacher. Where is Erx when I need him ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
(07-05-2012 03:01 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  FAUXnews... sorry, can't click that.

The snippet was an entertaining read though. I actually just saw a show about dinosaurs and fossilized poop. They brought up a point that I never thought of... dinosaur feces is literally by the tons. The land they roamed had to be filled with mounds of fecal matter. So this vision of a pristine earth and lush forests has to include mounds and mounds of dino poop.

Interesting, but I still side with Meteor theory. I do entertain the idea that it could have been a mix of "bad luck" events.
Ohhh noooeesssssss...... a Fox article!

-Mark Twain
07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
There is a competing hypothesis out there by a group of scientists that the dinosaurs were already on their way out prior to the impact event and that the impact and the extinction are unrelated. This is based mainly off of work on Forams (small single-celled plankton with calcareous shells). The observation that they use to support this is the paucity of dinosaur fossils up to the boundary, so another mechanism would be needed to drive the extinction and large quantities of methane and CO2 have been proposed for other extinction events, so they like latched onto that one as a result and also because there is shift in the delta13C record at that time (not all that important what it is but it indicates significant changes in primary productivity).

The issues are these, 1) The impact hypothesis is much more well supported
2) There appears to be a trend with which animals go extinct at the boundary, supporting a cooling of climates and not an increase in temps
3) The observation of no dinos up to the boundary is wrong
4) The 13C record does not really support their hypothesis from what I gather
5) Such an extinction would have been more gradual as a result of slowly releasing the methane and this is in direct contradiction with the suddenness of the event. In order for the methane hypothesis to work, it would need to be methane stored in sediments or soiled that was catastrophically released and once again, the 13C record does not support that.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 04:57 PM by jackashflash.)
A giant book killed the dinos?!

Damn scarlet, these fucktards are really abusing the negative rep thing huh? Pretty pathetic these dimwits are so scared to have differing intelligent opinions on here. I guess they are a bunch of old fucks circle jerking themselves.
07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
(07-05-2012 01:09 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
I don't even know who would publish this with their name on it. The geological evidence for an impact that caused global blackout is overwhelming. Not only is there evidence in many of the more recenly developed fossils but there is a 65 million year old 6 inch layer of volcanic ash and sediment on almost every exposed landmass on Earth.
Sure. But dinos were already getting extinct before the KT impact. The Chixclub crater impact was 'only' the coup de grace.