Disability and Our Own Internal Prejudice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 10:25 AM
The disabled community has long had it's dividing lines for as long as long as anyone can remember. The deaf have always been seen as the rebels and the punks and the rebellious (basically the emo and punk kids of the disabled community), really breaking down the cause isolating us. While they often see the blind showoffs (they think we're snobs and use our disability to bolster any artistic skills like some sort of gimmick) searching for acceptance that they think will never happen, forever second class to the rest of society. The animosity is only further entrenched by our lack of accessible communication channels, they need visual input and we need auditory; not an easy task. Because of our community issues we tend to rub each other the wrong way isn't there any way to bridge this gap? Do you guys have any advice or is it too late?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2013, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2013 08:09 AM by Anjele.)
RE: Disability and Our Own Internal Prejudice
Deaf Culture has a long history and is particularly strong. There are obvious reasons why a segment of the population that uses primarily visual signs to communicate is going to struggle with people who either can't see those signs or see them clearly. The Deaf community has it's own splits between signing and oral and the use or non-use of cochlear implants.

ASL depends not only on hand shapes and movement but also on facial expression so not being able to see that is a problem. Many deaf cannot speak or cannot speak clearly enough to communicate effectively (and some choose not to speak even if capable of making sounds). Lip-readers tend to pick up only a small fraction of what is said to them.

These are physical barriers are going to pose problems. Is it impossible, no.

As for the other things like being emo or being artistic, those are stereotypes and not at all helpful.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-10-2013, 08:04 AM
(28-10-2013 10:25 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  The disabled community has long had it's dividing lines for as long as long as anyone can remember. The deaf have always been seen as the rebels and the punks and the rebellious (basically the emo and punk kids of the disabled community), really breaking down the cause isolating us. While they often see the blind showoffs (they think we're snobs and use our disability to bolster any artistic skills like some sort of gimmick) searching for acceptance that they think will never happen, forever second class to the rest of society. The animosity is only further entrenched by our lack of accessible communication channels, they need visual input and we need auditory; not an easy task. Because of our community issues we tend to rub each other the wrong way isn't there any way to bridge this gap? Do you guys have any advice or is it too late?

I think you just made all of that up. I and nobody I have known or heard of thinks of disabled people in that way.

Next

Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
29-10-2013, 08:37 AM
(29-10-2013 08:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 10:25 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  The disabled community has long had it's dividing lines for as long as long as anyone can remember. The deaf have always been seen as the rebels and the punks and the rebellious (basically the emo and punk kids of the disabled community), really breaking down the cause isolating us. While they often see the blind showoffs (they think we're snobs and use our disability to bolster any artistic skills like some sort of gimmick) searching for acceptance that they think will never happen, forever second class to the rest of society. The animosity is only further entrenched by our lack of accessible communication channels, they need visual input and we need auditory; not an easy task. Because of our community issues we tend to rub each other the wrong way isn't there any way to bridge this gap? Do you guys have any advice or is it too late?

I think you just made all of that up. I and nobody I have known or heard of thinks of disabled people in that way.

Next

Drinking Beverage

You are not part of the disabled community so you don't know shit.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-10-2013, 08:40 AM
(29-10-2013 08:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 08:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  I think you just made all of that up. I and nobody I have known or heard of thinks of disabled people in that way.

Next

Drinking Beverage

Where you not aware that things only exist if that pinhead deems them worthy to exist? That is why there are no repressive regimes (other than America) and Russia is the shinning example of freedom and progress in the world.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-10-2013, 08:50 AM
(29-10-2013 08:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  I think you just made all of that up. I and nobody I have known or heard of thinks of disabled people in that way.

Next

Drinking Beverage

I know that nobody I know including myself have never looked on disabled people in that way.
29-10-2013, 09:12 AM
my cousin had a bike accident, brain damage. is full deaf/speechless, family members inc myself are too self centered to learn sign language.
So he communicates with a note pad. now he has a ipad like tablet that reads out what he types, heaps of preset phrases.
last time i seen him i wrote on the tablet "i think grandpa shit himself", never seen someone laugh so much without making a sound.
The tablet works great, i wish i had one, no more talking to snotty sales staff, just read the fraken screen shit head.

But the other deaf people at a centre we visited during rehab. some made mad sounds trying to speak, I did get the sense that people were annoyed and judgmental about it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
29-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Next

Drinking Beverage

Actually, you don't have to be part of something to be knowledgeable about it. You may not have the insight of someone 'on the inside' but you may still be informed. Maybe a relative or a friend has helped with that knowledge. Or perhaps it's a special interest like mine for Deaf Culture and the classes I have taken on the subject.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-10-2013, 09:25 AM
I used to work with special needs kids. And no, nobody I knew if classified them or looked at them in that kind of way.
18-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Why do you create these threads? I'm just curious because you don't come back and respond to any of the comments. I find the OP to be completely ignorant and insensitive. I have three deaf aunts, all of their kids (my cousins) are either deaf or mostly deaf, and most of their kids (my second cousins) are deaf. Out of all of them 3 can speak and all of the adults can read lips (though some are better than others). I am not sure how a non-speaking deaf person could communicate with a blind person, but I am sure any of them would be willing to try.
As for the other stuff, none of them are rebels or emo that just sounds like silliness to me.
Do you make posts like this just to upset people? Do you not realize how offensive this can be?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.