Disability and Our Own Internal Prejudice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2014, 10:37 PM
RE: Disability and Our Own Internal Prejudice
I didn't say it was my own personal views, they're gerenalzations a lot of blind people have on deaf culture. I said I'd like to bridge the gap if you weren't listening. and on the whole the deaf and the blind have very different points on interaction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Besides from obvious difficulties in communication, I don't believe there is a real gap. Perhaps you can prove me wrong.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
22-01-2014, 01:08 PM
(29-10-2013 09:23 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 08:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  You are not part of the disabled community so you don't know shit.

Actually, you don't have to be part of something to be knowledgeable about it. You may not have the insight of someone 'on the inside' but you may still be informed. Maybe a relative or a friend has helped with that knowledge. Or perhaps it's a special interest like mine for Deaf Culture and the classes I have taken on the subject.

I agree completely. I used to train service dogs (thats how I got into search and rescue training) for the deaf, blind, PTSD and other disabled communities.

While I can't speak to what it means to be disabled, I find no usefulness in rallying against those who try to help you out of frustration simply because they cannot relate. I find it odd to complain about stereotyping while stereotyping.

Assholes are assholes....its not limited to any particular group and once you recognize the person as simply an asshole (instead of "those emos or rebels" when grouped into a category), the better off you will be in not only identifying the problem, but in getting the help you requested.

BrokenQuill, you seem frustrated that you feel like you didn't get a fair shake. A lot of people can sympathize with that (including myself) as they too feel that they didn't get a fair shake since we all have problems.

I have no idea what its like to be blind like you, I have no idea what its like to be poor like Cheapthrill, you have no idea what its like to be gay, Anjele has no idea what its like to be black, you don't know what its like to be indian, and no one knows what its like to be me with my problems.

I'm just speculating here, but this might be why no one has handed you the "Worst Problems of Anyone" award because everyone feels their problems are just as valid and worthy of that rub on the back with a few soft spoken and comforting words.

What I'm wondering is - for your sake and not mine - if this frustration will ever subside? I say this because for as long as I can remember, the core of your threads seem to be recurrent on this very topic. I fear that after awhile, it will no longer draw people in for words of comfort, but rather drive them away as the tone of some of these threads can be derisive (like this one). And I think thats the opposite of what you wish to accomplish.

Either way, I do hope you find a way to make peace with your visual impairment one way or another.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
22-01-2014, 01:27 PM
I just came out of high school with a decent portion of disabled students, both mentally and physically. I've heard kids be assholes, but never these stereotypes. In fact, normally the kids who were being assholes were avoided by the majority of the student body. In this fairly large school (of about 6000 students) with ranging demographics and even foreign exchange students from all over the world, normally people would go out of their way to make the disabled students feel at home.

Though, this is just my experience...

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post