Disability vs Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Disability vs Religion

All my life I have struggled with multiple disabilities; from severe bpd, hydrocephalus, and now blindness from nerve damage. I've taken them all in my stride, however my family mainly my mother has not. She is convinced that it's unnatural for a 21 year old college student to be so "frail". And every other Sunday I'm bullied into going to church where I'm often referred to in the third person (usually people talk about me to my mother instead of to me as if I'm not there). Of course as per usual they bring out their two favorite stories Jesus and the Blind Man, and Jesus and the Lame Man to which I roll my eyes. The being blind thing is still frustrating and only been two years, and while I know everyone just wants to help in their own deluded it gets tiring. One half of my family keeps looking for surgeries that the doctors already said won't work or aren't worth the risk and the other half is chasing me around with crosses.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 08:25 AM
RE: Disability vs Religion
Hi Smile

Welcome to the forum.

Wow. I've never really met a blind person before... not to chat to. I actually remember reading a couple of books about being blind, by a woman who had been sighted and then went blind and had to get a guide dog and learn to cope. It was quite intense stuff...

How do you read stuff off the net ? I guess you have some kind of braille keyboard ?

I guess your mom is just trying to find a way to cope... After all it's pretty hard when your kid whom you had all these big dreams for gets shafted by fate... aka... "loved by God"...

Those other third person idiots... I dunno, maybe just pipe up when they start with that shit and say "I *am* right here. You *can* talk to me."...

And of course you can always rant around here Smile
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2013, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 08:44 AM by BrokenQuill92.)
my computer has auditory feedback back of whats going on on the screen and i just memorized the keyboards braille keyboard are unnecessary and expensive
04-06-2013, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 08:43 AM by BrokenQuill92.)
i suppose i should be lucky my family isn't buddhist since in traditional buddhist families if you have any sort of severe physical disability it means you did some short of murder in your part life and your family will more than likely put out you for having ill karma. Most likely to go beg on a street.
04-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Yikes. Yeah that does sound pretty horrible.

Weird how us humans are such twits hey ? Anyways... these problems that you've got, are they progressive ? I mean, does it get worse, or is there a point at which things stabilize ? Could you see yourself doing your own thing eventually, like having your own place to live and stuff like that ?
04-06-2013, 09:13 AM
(04-06-2013 09:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  Yikes. Yeah that does sound pretty horrible.

Weird how us humans are such twits hey ? Anyways... these problems that you've got, are they progressive ? I mean, does it get worse, or is there a point at which things stabilize ? Could you see yourself doing your own thing eventually, like having your own place to live and stuff like that ?
eventually yes, but until I'm done with mobility training and braille which will take maybe the two or three years and I'm still getting seizures stuff under control so when I go back to school this semester it'll only be part time, until the doctors see how i can take full plate.
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
the seizures they have no idea, the blindness will level out i'm just new to this crap. the headaches and dizzy spells and faints i will just have kind of suck it up. yeah those kind of scare people when faint but usually im fine.
04-06-2013, 09:21 AM
this is what i use to read on my pc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAWS_(screen_reader)
04-06-2013, 09:23 AM
this what i use on mobile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoiceOver
05-06-2013, 07:33 AM
i don't really have any advice but i just want to say your drive to push forward is humbling and inspiring. in the same situation i would not be as strong as you