Disappointment in atheist men

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2017, 03:32 PM
RE: Disappointment in atheist men
(18-10-2017 09:36 PM)Rachel Wrote:  In the states where the difference happened, the deciding factor was the rural uneducated voter. Of course many educated people hated Clinton, not realizing that an effective leader need not be likable.

Well they hit the jackpot with Trump: ineffective and unlikable.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2017, 04:01 PM
(18-10-2017 09:44 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Still would like to see statistics.

Here's one take on those stats:

"..., although more than 70 percent of Trump supporters didn’t have college degrees, [...] about 70 percent of all Republicans didn’t have college degrees, close to the national average (71 percent according to the 2013 Census). Far from being a magnet for the less educated, Trump seemed to have about as many people without college degrees in his camp as we would expect any successful Republican candidate to have."

Trump does seem to be losing support fastest among educated republicans.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
23-10-2017, 06:20 PM
(20-10-2017 04:52 AM)MarylinC Wrote:  I couldn't agree with you more Rachel.

It's always sad when I encounter ignorant male attitudes and Trump seems to have given men an even greater license to think that's OK. It is good to come across men who are far more enlightened but there is still no shortage of dinosaurs.

Marylin I may have missed something but I was reading a good old shoot-out between two discussants and the gender of either didn't occur to me. What exactly was said by either party that should make anyone think the gender of the speaker was the critical factor in what was being said?

23-10-2017, 07:50 PM
(23-10-2017 03:30 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Of course, much may depend on advances in Russian hacking skills.

They have adequate skills right now. Interesting how the Russian media confirmed this story only last week and the American media yawned in excitement.
23-10-2017, 07:51 PM
(23-10-2017 03:32 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(18-10-2017 09:36 PM)Rachel Wrote:  In the states where the difference happened, the deciding factor was the rural uneducated voter. Of course many educated people hated Clinton, not realizing that an effective leader need not be likable.

Well they hit the jackpot with Trump: ineffective and unlikable.

True, but that MAGA hat? Oooh-la-la!
23-10-2017, 07:52 PM
(23-10-2017 06:20 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Marylin I may have missed something but I was reading a good old shoot-out between two discussants and the gender of either didn't occur to me. What exactly was said by either party that should make anyone think the gender of the speaker was the critical factor in what was being said?

You missed a great deal.
24-10-2017, 10:39 AM
(23-10-2017 03:10 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(18-10-2017 08:58 PM)Rachel Wrote:  In theory I agree with you. In practice, it’s not working out that way. The crazy is becoming the mainstream.

Nah, not yet it hasn't. It looks bad, but too much has changed for too many people since the days of Ozzie and Harriet. However much a small segment of society may think they want to recapture that era, it ain't gonna happen.
Hang in there.

Trump’s attacks on Myeshia Johnson, the widow of La David Johnson are playing very well in rural America. The racism of Trump’s speeches have found their target audience. The election of Barack Obama made the crazy right wing even crazier. When Hair Furor spoke about “taking back America,” he was talking to rural white Americans about putting the minorities and women back in their place. It hasn’t gotten any better. Trump is bringing racism, sexism, homophobia out into the open and into the mainstream. They’re trying to undo every social inroad made in the 20th century.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
24-10-2017, 05:06 PM
(23-10-2017 07:52 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(23-10-2017 06:20 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Marylin I may have missed something but I was reading a good old shoot-out between two discussants and the gender of either didn't occur to me. What exactly was said by either party that should make anyone think the gender of the speaker was the critical factor in what was being said?

You missed a great deal.

It is clear to me now.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
24-10-2017, 10:34 PM
(24-10-2017 10:39 AM)Rachel Wrote:  Trump is bringing racism, sexism, homophobia out into the open and into the mainstream. They’re trying to undo every social inroad made in the 20th century.

Spot-on. "The President is cool with it, I'm game" seems to be the train of thought in play here, which is why those of us who find his views disgusting need to speak up against them.

Trump represents white revanchism in America, and he gives it a cover with his incessant tweeting followed by back-tracking done through lackeys. There's a reason Charlottesville happened in 2017 and not 2014, when the same white fears were fully in play: bigots feel empowered by knowing that one of their own is in the Oval Office.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
25-10-2017, 08:03 PM
(24-10-2017 10:39 AM)Rachel Wrote:  Trump’s attacks on Myeshia Johnson, the widow of La David Johnson are playing very well in rural America. The racism of Trump’s speeches have found their target audience. The election of Barack Obama made the crazy right wing even crazier. When Hair Furor spoke about “taking back America,” he was talking to rural white Americans about putting the minorities and women back in their place. It hasn’t gotten any better. Trump is bringing racism, sexism, homophobia out into the open and into the mainstream. They’re trying to undo every social inroad made in the 20th century.

He's had some stuff trickle through, but he's been stymied at every major point:

* he can't ram a repeal of the ACA through a Republican congress with a battering ram
* his Muslim travel ban has been blocked by the courts four times now
* backed off on his support of torture when his own appointed Secretary of Defense told him it was BS
* no immigration policy
* The rats are jumping ship . . .
* and there ain't no wall on the US-Mexican border

Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I just don't think he can last like this.

--
Dr H

[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post