Disappointment in atheist men

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2017, 09:52 PM
RE: Disappointment in atheist men
(25-10-2017 08:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(24-10-2017 10:39 AM)Rachel Wrote:  Trump’s attacks on Myeshia Johnson, the widow of La David Johnson are playing very well in rural America. The racism of Trump’s speeches have found their target audience. The election of Barack Obama made the crazy right wing even crazier. When Hair Furor spoke about “taking back America,” he was talking to rural white Americans about putting the minorities and women back in their place. It hasn’t gotten any better. Trump is bringing racism, sexism, homophobia out into the open and into the mainstream. They’re trying to undo every social inroad made in the 20th century.

He's had some stuff trickle through, but he's been stymied at every major point:

* he can't ram a repeal of the ACA through a Republican congress with a battering ram
* his Muslim travel ban has been blocked by the courts four times now
* backed off on his support of torture when his own appointed Secretary of Defense told him it was BS
* no immigration policy
* The rats are jumping ship . . .
* and there ain't no wall on the US-Mexican border

Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I just don't think he can last like this.

I think the events of the last two days, with Flake flaking and another Texas Republican backing away from a re-election run on the state level, may mean that for right now, the "moderate" Republicans (such as they are) are either keeping quiet or throwing in the towel. I wonder how long their Congressional resistance can last against the Mouth That Roared?

They seem mostly happy to stay quiet while working on their own agenda and hoping for events to take care of this stone in their shoe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2017, 09:44 AM
(25-10-2017 08:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I just don't think he can last like this.

You wouldn’t think so, but you are a reasonable person, unlike his base. They think he’s doing a bang up job. But when you ask them what he’s actually accomplished, they’ll say, “He’s telling it like it is.” But since he frequently changes his mind, lies, or contradicts himself, I have to ask, “Which time?”

The only Republicans to openly stand up to Trump are Corker and Flake, neither of whom are seeking reelection, and so have nothing to lose. The rest of the representatives support him. I conclude that based on the old dictum that silence is assent.

Trump hasn’t been able to get any meaningful legislative accomplishments because he isn’t a leader. He’s a bully with a loud voice. He has no agenda other than undoing everything that Obama did. Being president is more than being the anti-Obama.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
26-10-2017, 11:03 AM
(26-10-2017 09:44 AM)Rachel Wrote:  The only Republicans to openly stand up to Trump are Corker and Flake, neither of whom are seeking reelection, and so have nothing to lose.

And McCain. He's not dead until he died. And he's frisky.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-10-2017, 11:18 AM
(26-10-2017 11:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 09:44 AM)Rachel Wrote:  The only Republicans to openly stand up to Trump are Corker and Flake, neither of whom are seeking reelection, and so have nothing to lose.

And McCain. He's not dead until he died. And he's frisky.

McCain is unreliable. Sometimes he’s thinking right and sometimes he follows the party line.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
26-10-2017, 11:27 AM
(26-10-2017 11:18 AM)Rachel Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 11:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  And McCain. He's not dead until he died. And he's frisky.

McCain is unreliable. Sometimes he’s thinking right and sometimes he follows the party line.

True. He is a true republican. But he will speak the truth when he thinks something will hurt the US. However, his focus will shift away from this once symptoms worsen.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-10-2017, 11:29 AM
(26-10-2017 11:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 11:18 AM)Rachel Wrote:  McCain is unreliable. Sometimes he’s thinking right and sometimes he follows the party line.

True. He is a true republican. But he will speak the truth when he thinks something will hurt the US. However, his focus will shift away from this once symptoms worsen.

You could be right. I wonder if a replacement senator will be appointed when the symptoms worsen, one who will toe the party line.
26-10-2017, 11:33 AM
(26-10-2017 11:29 AM)Rachel Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 11:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  True. He is a true republican. But he will speak the truth when he thinks something will hurt the US. However, his focus will shift away from this once symptoms worsen.

You could be right. I wonder if a replacement senator will be appointed when the symptoms worsen, one who will toe the party line.

If at all possible, yes. Undecided

29-10-2017, 08:37 PM
(26-10-2017 09:44 AM)Rachel Wrote:  The only Republicans to openly stand up to Trump are Corker and Flake, neither of whom are seeking reelection, and so have nothing to lose. The rest of the representatives support him. I conclude that based on the old dictum that silence is assent.
True enough, but Corker and Flake also turn right around and vote 95+% with Trump, most notably the ACA "repeal and replace" which should be an embarrassment even to a Republican. At least McCain and a couple others voted against that due to the harms to citizens and the disingenuous procedural grounds. I appreciate Corker and Flake taking the stand they're taking but in other ways they still enable Trumpism. Flake especially; he is, after all, the original Tea Partier.

Republicans have shown in dozens of ways just how craven they have become when they will accept an embarrassment like Trump as their champion so long as it keeps them in power -- and the Republic be damned.

And where were Corker and Flake three months ago? Six months ago? Twelve months ago? I'll tell you where Corker was: cheerleading his little pea pickin' heart out for the Orange One, and then spreading the buffoonish notion of the coming "pivot", before he finally found a conscience.

Forgive me if I'm not impressed.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
30-10-2017, 07:19 AM
(29-10-2017 08:37 PM)mordant Wrote:  Forgive me if I'm not impressed.

You’re forgiven.

Good points and I agree with you.
31-10-2017, 02:04 PM
(26-10-2017 09:44 AM)Rachel Wrote:  You wouldn’t think so, but you are a reasonable person, unlike his base. They think he’s doing a bang up job. But when you ask them what he’s actually accomplished, they’ll say, “He’s telling it like it is.” But since he frequently changes his mind, lies, or contradicts himself, I have to ask, “Which time?”
All times, thus further illustrating that, although it came a little later than expected, we're living in 1984. Alternative facts; truth is malleable. And don't get me started on universal surveillance.

Quote:The only Republicans to openly stand up to Trump are Corker and Flake, neither of whom are seeking reelection, and so have nothing to lose. The rest of the representatives support him. I conclude that based on the old dictum that silence is assent.
Maybe so, but some shit is starting to hit the fan.

Quote:Trump hasn’t been able to get any meaningful legislative accomplishments because he isn’t a leader. He’s a bully with a loud voice. He has no agenda other than undoing everything that Obama did. Being president is more than being the anti-Obama.
Trump doesn't appear to be one with a penchant for learning from experience. I see this as reason to believe that he is going to wither in office, and likely be replaced before his time. A bigger concern of mine is what a Pence presidency might look like. Unlike Trump, Pence does come with an agenda.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."