Disappointment in atheist men

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2017, 05:38 PM
RE: Disappointment in atheist men
(16-10-2017 04:48 PM)Rachel Wrote:  atheist men SHOULD be more moral than they obviously are.

Everyone should.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Belaqua's post
16-10-2017, 05:53 PM
(16-10-2017 04:48 PM)Rachel Wrote:  My idea is that atheist men SHOULD be more moral than they obviously are.

These days a lot of us are atheist from birth. We don't have to challenge or overcome religious thinking.

When people grow up without religion as a moral guide (leaving aside whether it's a GOOD moral guide) they may feel challenged to consider moral issues, or they may tacitly accept the mores of the society they happen to be in.

Our society holds to capitalist values primarily, even when it's pretending to follow Christian ones. Capitalist values consider acquisition to be a good thing, and for powerful men, this can include sexual acquisition. Weinstein probably thought that his success in Hollywood entitled him to certain perks, and a lot of men tacitly agreed.

Atheists who challenge religious values but not capitalist ones can be as blind as anyone else.
[+] 2 users Like Belaqua's post
16-10-2017, 06:28 PM
(16-10-2017 05:53 PM)Belaqua Wrote:  When people grow up without religion as a moral guide they may feel challenged to consider moral issues

Kindly shove this back into your ass where you just pulled it from. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
16-10-2017, 06:39 PM
(16-10-2017 05:53 PM)Belaqua Wrote:  When people grow up without religion as a moral guide (leaving aside whether it's a GOOD moral guide) they may feel challenged to consider moral issues, or they may tacitly accept the mores of the society they happen to be in.

You're an idiot. I was raised by the Lutherans from K-9. Let me fix it for you, "When not stupid people grow up with religion as a moral guide, they may feel challenged to consider moral issues." ... Did I mention you're an idiot.

#sigh
16-10-2017, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure why I should answer for anyone other than myself. They were atheist men, and misogynistic? Okay. Nail 'em to the cross.

Judge me on my own behavior, and don't lump me in with others on the basis of one or two bits of data.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-10-2017, 07:25 PM
I haven't read through all 6 pages here so I don't know if anyone has touched on this already.

On the other side of the "atheist men" coin, not all men atheist or not, are pigs.

Just want to avoid any sweeping generalizations that might be gaining steam here.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
16-10-2017, 09:04 PM
(16-10-2017 07:17 AM)Rachel Wrote:  The sexual abuse women face every day (yes, that’s right—every day) has to stop. The only way to make that happen is to drag it out of the shadowy corners and shine the spotlight of reason on it. It starts by pointing out the prejudices of men who certainly ought to know better.

I think what it truly needs is for men & women to be able to talk honestly. I'd never thought of myself as a misogynistic man, but after marrying my wife (18yrs ago) & asking what I thought was an innocent question like "how was your day.." , my eyes were opened. Then I thought about my life & what I'd said over the years...and I saw it in myself. And you're right---it happens everyday, and men don't even see it.

(16-10-2017 09:23 AM)Emma Wrote:  But, that's not the deeply offensive blatant misogyny that the OP is referring to. That shit, I've seen here, but when it shows up, it's often rebutted or shouted down or answered in some way. It's usually not left unchecked in some way, here. I like that about this place. The shit over on that other forum (which I haven't read, but it's not hard to imagine) is not at all surprising to me.

And, guys don't know what they don't know. Nobody does.

I agree, and a forum is a group of like minded people (a.k.a. peers) the fact that "the other" forum has few (if any) women is not a coincidence, and the fact that this forum seems to be populated by both men & women equally(citation needed) is not a coincidence.

BTW. Just to clarify, the thread on that other forum wasn't just the general "hey darlin'...or "how's my little lady..." sorta misogyny, it was a hatred of women thinking they could have to gall to question a man sorta shit...

That thread here, would have gone down faster then an EAGLE...

and you know there'd be a banning...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
16-10-2017, 10:22 PM
(16-10-2017 09:04 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I'd never thought of myself as a misogynistic man, but after marrying my wife (18yrs ago) & asking what I thought was an innocent question like "how was your day.." , my eyes were opened.

Forgive my ignorance, but why did she find that question misogynistic?
17-10-2017, 02:08 AM
(16-10-2017 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-10-2017 05:53 PM)Belaqua Wrote:  When people grow up without religion as a moral guide (leaving aside whether it's a GOOD moral guide) they may feel challenged to consider moral issues, or they may tacitly accept the mores of the society they happen to be in.

You're an idiot. I was raised by the Lutherans from K-9. Let me fix it for you, "When not stupid people grow up with religion as a moral guide, they may feel challenged to consider moral issues." ... Did I mention you're an idiot.

I wrote: "When people grow up without religion as a moral guide...they may feel challenged to consider moral issues..."

The opposite statement would be:

"No one raised as an atheist has ever been challenged to reconsider the moral system he grew up with."

This is clearly a false statement.

"...or they may tacitly accept the mores of the society they happen to be in."

I don't see how anyone could argue with this. People generally accept the mores of the society they grow up in, to a large extent. Challenging them takes courage.
[+] 1 user Likes Belaqua's post
17-10-2017, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2017 03:01 AM by GirlyMan.)
(17-10-2017 02:08 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  
(16-10-2017 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You're an idiot. I was raised by the Lutherans from K-9. Let me fix it for you, "When not stupid people grow up with religion as a moral guide, they may feel challenged to consider moral issues." ... Did I mention you're an idiot.

I wrote: "When people grow up without religion as a moral guide...they may feel challenged to consider moral issues..."

The opposite statement would be:

"No one raised as an atheist has ever been challenged to reconsider the moral system he grew up with."

This is clearly a false statement.

"...or they may tacitly accept the mores of the society they happen to be in."

I don't see how anyone could argue with this. People generally accept the mores of the society they grow up in, to a large extent. Challenging them takes courage.

Yeah, except I didn't say shit about it being an "opposite" statement, moron. Do you people not have at least an elementary education in logic? No, don't answer that. You clearly fucking don't. You're a stupid, moronic twit. ... Oh, and you're going to Hell for being so stupid. Hell's not for children, it's for morons.

#sigh