Disappointment in atheist men

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2017, 10:15 AM
RE: Disappointment in atheist men
(15-10-2017 07:46 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(15-10-2017 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How's my track record? Good?

Better than the knuckledraggers on the “Is God Imaginary” forum, that’s for sure.

Was that poster named Lord Dark Helmet and Heywood Jahblowme?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2017, 10:44 AM
(17-10-2017 10:15 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(15-10-2017 07:46 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Better than the knuckledraggers on the “Is God Imaginary” forum, that’s for sure.

Was that poster named Lord Dark Helmet and Heywood Jahblowme?

It’s possible. I was reading the posts and not noticing the names. There was only one which registered and that was because I’ve seen his posts here.
17-10-2017, 12:01 PM
(17-10-2017 06:12 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(17-10-2017 02:08 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  I don't see how anyone could argue with this. People generally accept the mores of the society they grow up in, to a large extent. Challenging them takes courage.

People argue against statements which are incorrect.

They also argue against statements which they don't understand. Sometimes this is because the original statement was unclear, sometimes because they don't understand what was said, sometimes both.

At this forum, certain individuals use harsh language and jump all over others unnecessarily. It has become a bad habit. If they do that repeatedly, you can ignore them. You shouldn't be too sensitive, since it has little if anything to do with you.

And then people argue against utter unabashed BS posing at intellectual profundity Drinking Beverage

And harsh language? Jesus Christ, winter seems to have started way early in the Northern hemisphere this year. Never seen so many snowflakes gather in such a short time Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
17-10-2017, 12:12 PM
(17-10-2017 12:01 PM)Vera Wrote:  And then people argue against utter unabashed BS posing at intellectual profundity Drinking Beverage

And harsh language? Jesus Christ, winter seems to have started way early in the Northern hemisphere this year. Never seen so many snowflakes gather in such a short time Drinking Beverage

I guess it depends on what you're used to. You don't seem too adaptable.
17-10-2017, 10:44 PM
(17-10-2017 04:06 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(16-10-2017 10:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Forgive my ignorance, but why did she find that question misogynistic?

Sorry, what I meant was that I would ask her about her day and she'd tell me about it, including things like how she'd felt uncomfortable on the bus sometimes when a man would sit beside her and the way he'd look at her & perhaps try and "chat her up", or a guy would come on to her in the grocery store, or worse at work (sometimes by residents, sometimes by staff). Nothing that would raise to the level of "assault", but it just seemed constant. Things that from a man's perspective, he wouldn't think anything of it.

I see -- I get what you're saying now; I've had that second-hand experiencing myself, where I'd like to whop the guy upside the head not only for being a douche to my gal, but playing on a stereotype I have to contend with.
18-10-2017, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2017 08:03 AM by Vera.)
(17-10-2017 12:12 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I guess it depends on what you're used to. You don't seem too adaptable.

Used to what? Adaptable to what? Consider

Bullshit? No, I certainly am not used to that. Especially not of the pseudo-intellectual variety. Drinking Beverage

Another thing I'm not used to is people strolling into a new place and right from the start insisting on telling others how to talk and behave.

What is wrong with me, eh? Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
18-10-2017, 10:20 AM
(18-10-2017 08:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(17-10-2017 12:12 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I guess it depends on what you're used to. You don't seem too adaptable.

Used to what? Adaptable to what?

Used to harsh language. Adaptable to people with different communication styles.
18-10-2017, 08:03 PM
(16-10-2017 04:46 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(16-10-2017 03:05 PM)Dr H Wrote:  This may not be altogether a bad thing. Trump didn't create them; they were there before he was elected.
Better to have them out in the light of day, where they can be recognized and disposed of,
than lurking in the shadows and continuing their predations.

Uh-huh. I would take fake enlightenment over real misogyny, if given the choice.

I guess I can understand how that might be a more appealing road to take, personally.

In terms of advancing society, though, I think it's better to flush vermin into the open and deal with them, rather than sweep them under the carpet, where they'll continue to gnaw at the floorboards.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
18-10-2017, 08:09 PM
(16-10-2017 05:53 PM)Belaqua Wrote:  These days a lot of us are atheist from birth.
Actually, all of us are.
Religion , being man-made, has to be taught.

Quote: We don't have to challenge or overcome religious thinking.

When people grow up without religion as a moral guide (leaving aside whether it's a GOOD moral guide) they may feel challenged to consider moral issues, or they may tacitly accept the mores of the society they happen to be in.
Why would they feel any more "challenged to consider moral issues" than someone who was so insecure in their own mind that they had to invoke fantasy as a moral guide?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
18-10-2017, 08:11 PM
(18-10-2017 08:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(16-10-2017 04:46 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Uh-huh. I would take fake enlightenment over real misogyny, if given the choice.

I guess I can understand how that might be a more appealing road to take, personally.

In terms of advancing society, though, I think it's better to flush vermin into the open and deal with them, rather than sweep them under the carpet, where they'll continue to gnaw at the floorboards.

I’ll dispute that using the example of the alt-right. Now that they are out in the open, they appear to be gaining steam as Breitbart, InfoWars, and literally ad nauseum others gain respectability. Vermin is the perfect word for them.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post