Discipline/lack of and atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2017, 05:08 AM
Discipline/lack of and atheism
I need someone to break stereotypes that atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline. Theists have often argued that atheists are corrupt, drug too much, do not keep their house tidy, do not eat proper food, party too much, have sex with multiple partners/commit to adultery whilst married with kids and slacken off excessively.

I would like to hear about atheists and how they do with self-discipline, self-regulation and responsibility as well as atheist parents who regulate discipline on their kids.

Regardless of the definition of atheism, I'd like to hear from you atheists as humans examples of discipline you do develop and regulate in yourselves (and if parents, on your children).

I am an atheist of moderate to at times rigorous discipline but I won't tell - I'd like to hear a substantial amount of examples from you before I may tell mine. I'm just sick of being ostracised, ridiculed and laughed at by many atheists for being 'too weird, religious and stuff' when I exhibit rigorous self-discipline and regulation and instead being told to 'loosen up' too frequently.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thinker's post
11-06-2017, 05:20 AM
RE: Discipline/lack of and atheism
(11-06-2017 05:08 AM)Thinker Wrote:  ...atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline.

This doesn't make sense to me.

How can an atheist have fear in God if there is no God to fear?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. Can you clarify?
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
11-06-2017, 05:21 AM
Check the prison populations with regard to religiosity.

But you don't even have to do that much work. Consider that atheists think this is all we get, this one life. Now, would a rational person risk spending that one and only life in prison?

Bottom line is believers want atheists to behave as the believer would if there was no threat of punishment. That's a sad commentary on the believers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
11-06-2017, 05:26 AM
(11-06-2017 05:20 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 05:08 AM)Thinker Wrote:  ...atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline.

This doesn't make sense to me.

How can an atheist have fear in God if there is no God to fear?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. Can you clarify?

As I said clearly in OP, it is a stereotype that theists commonly subscribe to. I did not personally state so - just quoting theirs. I'm saying lack of faith AND fear in god.
[+] 1 user Likes Thinker's post
11-06-2017, 05:26 AM
Theists believe that their morals flow from their unseen god.

Atheists acquire their morals through social interactions that can be seen by all.

Which is more likely to be reality? That which is, or is not observable, testable, and verifiable???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-06-2017, 05:27 AM
(11-06-2017 05:08 AM)Thinker Wrote:  Theists have often argued that atheists are corrupt, drug too much, do not keep their house tidy, do not eat proper food, party too much, have sex with multiple partners/commit to adultery whilst married with kids and slacken off excessively.

I would like to hear about atheists and how they do with self-discipline, self-regulation and responsibility as well as atheist parents who regulate discipline on their kids.

I value honesty highly, which is how I became an atheist. Honesty keeps one in line. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I am faithful to my wife. We are both introverts who prefer peace and quiet, reading, and nature videos. The house is tidy and well-organized, and we never had kids to mess it up.

I have no personal experiences of the atheists of theistic stereotypes.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
11-06-2017, 05:29 AM
(11-06-2017 05:26 AM)Thinker Wrote:  As I said clearly in OP, it is a stereotype that theists commonly subscribe to. I did not personally state so - just quoting theirs. I'm saying lack of faith AND fear in god.

Yeah, I hear that a lot from the cousins. I ask them how many of their siblings are current in Mid-Missouri Correctional Center while I'm still walking around free.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
11-06-2017, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 05:39 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(11-06-2017 05:08 AM)Thinker Wrote:  I need someone to break stereotypes that atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline. Theists have often argued .... bla bla bla.

Why is it you "need" this ?
Discipline and values are learned behaviors. Their correlation with beliefs is not established. If you value a disciplined orderly life, (and some people may not) then pursue it.
Values and behaviors do not come from the gods or their absence.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-06-2017, 05:34 AM
(11-06-2017 05:27 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 05:08 AM)Thinker Wrote:  Theists have often argued that atheists are corrupt, drug too much, do not keep their house tidy, do not eat proper food, party too much, have sex with multiple partners/commit to adultery whilst married with kids and slacken off excessively.

I value honesty highly, which is how I became an atheist. Honesty keeps one in line. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I am faithful to my wife. We are both introverts who prefer peace and quiet, reading, and nature videos. The house is tidy and well-organized, and we never had kids to mess it up.

I have no personal experiences of the atheists of theistic stereotypes.

Yes, honesty is good. I also think that responsibility, dedication and independence in thinking are good other examples that involve rejecting God and being driven by intrinsic motivation to do things, since most theists are selfish and expect rewards from God should they do work or do things dutifully.
[+] 2 users Like Thinker's post
11-06-2017, 05:35 AM
How atheists do with self-discipline? Each differently than other as what atheist have in common is lack of belief.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post