Discipline/lack of and atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2017, 10:19 AM
RE: Discipline/lack of and atheism
(11-06-2017 10:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Life is meant to be lived.

^This^ Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-06-2017, 10:25 AM
(11-06-2017 05:20 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 05:08 AM)Thinker Wrote:  ...atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline.

This doesn't make sense to me.

How can an atheist have fear in God if there is no God to fear?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. Can you clarify?

Me too. I have no fear in God or of God and even as a Christian never did understand the idea. God was supposed to be LOVE. and if one accepted it one could live forever, Where did, or should the fear come in. But as an atheist why should one have fear of what we are certain doesn't exist. I don't fear astrological readings either.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
11-06-2017, 10:26 AM
(11-06-2017 08:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 05:08 AM)Thinker Wrote:  I need someone to break stereotypes that atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline. Theists have often argued that atheists are corrupt, drug too much, do not keep their house tidy, do not eat proper food, party too much, have sex with multiple partners/commit to adultery whilst married with kids and slacken off excessively.

✓ drug too much
✓ do not keep their house tidy
✓ do not eat proper food
✓ party too much
✓ have sex with multiple partners
✓ slacken off excessively

And what's wrong with that, I'd like to know?

Dodgy

Nothing as long as anyone you participate with it is consensual. I would say outside that you still have to worry about your health doing anything too much.

"Slacking" is such a stupid word and again, it only is unethical when you are draining someone else who may need it. Outside that I find the term "hard work" fucking stupid. Why invent anything at all that makes life easier if work was always supposed to be hard.

I myself am nowhere close to perfect, but also have never committed a violent felony haven't even had a speeding ticket in 18 years.

A god is not required to threaten or bribe you in life. Our so called "golden rule" is really when our evolutionary empathy kicks in and we merely avoid harm to others because that causes disruption in stability. But privacy is also part of our evolution too, so when theists claim the right to snoop on my sex life fuck them.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
11-06-2017, 10:28 AM
And though every actor in that film was outstanding, especially Kevin Spacey and Allison Janney, while I was watching a few American Beauty clips, I remembered this other example of someone living a highly disciplined life, and its tragic effect on the person's mental health. Annette Benning is amaaaaaaazing in this film.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
11-06-2017, 10:59 AM
(11-06-2017 06:48 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 06:43 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I don't know what I can tell you about me. I've always been an atheist, yet I've never used drugs, never been in trouble with the law, and achieved a solid education up to and including a degree in mathematics. I worked as a teacher and then a pension administrator until I became too ill. I try my best to be a nice person, and to make the world a better place in whatever ways I can. I don't hurt people or animals, and I'm a vegan for this reason. I respect freedom of speech and religion, as long as the law is being followed and no one is being hurt or harassed.

Yabut, is your house tidy?
Consider

No, it's a fucking tip!

I agree with others here, it's not any of a theist's business how an atheist lives their life anyway. They don't get to say how life should be lived.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
11-06-2017, 12:14 PM
1. I have never heard of this stereotype.
2. How disciplined (or not) somebody is has nothing to do with whether or not they believe in god(s).

There are super lazy and super disciplined people of all social, religious, or whatever backgrounds.

That aside.
I personally am only disciplined when I deem the thing important enough to be disciplined with it.
Work: Very disciplined.
League of Legends: Moderately disciplined.
Cleaning the window: Once a year if I can be arsed.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 4 users Like Leerob's post
12-06-2017, 04:45 AM
(11-06-2017 05:08 AM)Thinker Wrote:  I need someone to break stereotypes that atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline. Theists have often argued that atheists are corrupt, drug too much, do not keep their house tidy, do not eat proper food, party too much, have sex with multiple partners/commit to adultery whilst married with kids and slacken off excessively.

I would like to hear about atheists and how they do with self-discipline, self-regulation and responsibility as well as atheist parents who regulate discipline on their kids.

Regardless of the definition of atheism, I'd like to hear from you atheists as humans examples of discipline you do develop and regulate in yourselves (and if parents, on your children).

I am an atheist of moderate to at times rigorous discipline but I won't tell - I'd like to hear a substantial amount of examples from you before I may tell mine. I'm just sick of being ostracised, ridiculed and laughed at by many atheists for being 'too weird, religious and stuff' when I exhibit rigorous self-discipline and regulation and instead being told to 'loosen up' too frequently.
I think as an atheist, all you're doing is "making up your own mind". For example: My dad is an atheist as well, yet he's also a bit of a racist (grew up in the 70's) as well as a bit of a homophobe, and everything else that comes with it. However, as I was left to make up my own mind, whilst also hearing the things he would say as a kid, I personally decided that it's not cool to pick on people because of things that are "different" about them, and in the end who the hell cares anyway.

I "learned" right/wrong by just being a kid, and finding things out for myself really. When you have a doctrine of people saying "gays are evil" then you'll probably grow up to think that as well. Yet if you have a guy saying "I don't like gays...but you can decide whatever you like about them", then who knows. Again I decided that to be gay isn't any different from being straight, but that was my choice, something my father still disagrees on to this day.

Re kids: I have a daughter, and I just give her the information that I have. I tell her why things are/aren't socially acceptable, and leave it with her to think about. So far she has come to the "right" decisions, about people and even sexuality at such a young age, due to 'exposure' to people we know who are also gay, so even at 6 (she's 7 soon) she knows it's "OK" to love another person of the same gender, and I think that's awesome.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
12-06-2017, 05:06 AM
(11-06-2017 08:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ✓ drug too much
✓ do not eat proper food
✓ party too much

But enough about believers...
12-06-2017, 05:29 AM
(12-06-2017 05:06 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(11-06-2017 08:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ✓ drug too much
✓ do not eat proper food
✓ party too much

But enough about believers...

What is that? DLJ's weekend to-do list? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-06-2017, 05:38 AM
(12-06-2017 05:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  What is that? DLJ's weekend to-do list? Consider

Pah! That's weekday.

The weekend is for slackening off.

Drinking Beverage

Wink

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post