Discipline/lack of and atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2017, 12:58 PM
RE: Discipline/lack of and atheism
Yeah, sure, as soon as I realized I was an atheist it was nothing but easy pussy and margaritas, bro!

Maybe atheists are more likely to experiment with more hedonistic lifestyles, earthly pleasures, self-centered hobbies and activities; I'm not sure. If there's any data on that I'd love to see it.

But they're also far MORE likely than believers to be scientists, researchers, intellectuals and far LESS likely to be convicted felons.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Chill, please.

Really, I am not looking for a fight, just some sort of intelligent discussion.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
16-06-2017, 01:02 PM
(16-06-2017 12:59 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Chill, please.

To chill one must be angry first. I admit that my fuse isn't longest one but come on...

Quote:Really, I am not looking for a fight, just some sort of intelligent discussion.

Then work on your knowledge. Your passive-aggressive implying that I'm at fault here is not appreciated.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Then how do we go about discussing a term, which we define differently?

You may think that your wording does not frame your replies in a non-aggressive and dismissive manner, but I don't read them that way.

Perhaps we can't discuss the term or its implications for sentient beings or even how we feel about what we believe and think, when we find ourselves at such odds.

So I am sorry if I messed up this discussion, Szuchow.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
16-06-2017, 01:24 PM
(16-06-2017 01:13 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Then how do we go about discussing a term, which we define differently?

By looking for points of non-divergence perhaps. But in this case it is doomed to failure I think as honor is some vague not easily defined thing. I could agree that honor is "list of rules one live by" but while that may be superficially true it does not cut it for me.

Quote:You may think that your wording does not frame your replies in a non-aggressive and dismissive manner, but I don't read them that way.

Part of my wording issue stems from English not being my mother tongue. It's hard to judge "hardness" of words and phrases. But I wouldn't call my wording in posts written not today aggressive, insistent perhaps but softened with words like "I think", which I hope convey that I do not deem what I write a fact, merely an opinion.

I just completely disagree with your view, that's not the same thing as denying you right to have it.

Quote:Perhaps we can't discuss the term or its implications for sentient beings or even how we feel about what we believe and think, when we find ourselves at such odds.

We can discuss it but I can't see this discussion bearing fruit as our views appears to be totally incompatible, given that I see honor as dangerous and maybe even somewhat barbaric concept rather than good thing of any kind.

Quote:So I am sorry if I messed up this discussion, Szuchow.

-Jeanne

I guess we're both at fault.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-08-2017, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2017 08:47 PM by Oaken.)
(11-06-2017 05:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Values and behaviors do not come from the gods or their absence.

I could keep rereading those words all day. Good one.

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2017, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2017 09:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-06-2017 05:20 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  In reference to honor:

Honor is not duty or obedience. To my mind, honor is that thing within the conscience, whose small voice niggles at you when it is offended by your thoughts or actions.

Principles and values and oaths can override that small voice, but stillness allows it to be heard.

Honor will allow you to do the very hard things that might go against your principles or your duty, but it won't let you do them without consequence and you will suffer if you are an honorable person...and you will suffer in the worst possible way, within your own conscience as long as you remember.

It is that thing, which an atheist might call a "soul" ... intangible and often inundated by principle and duty.

It's still a learned standard, and it came from somewhere. Calling it (a) "soul" is in no way productive. Humans make decisions based on many complex inputs. Trying to 'woo-ify' it by invoking an ancient concept that generally has a specific meaning is asking for trouble and misunderstanding.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-08-2017, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2017 09:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(14-06-2017 05:43 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  And...like the word "soul" I know what I mean when I use it and most people know what I mean when they hear it used, even though as an atheist, I know that I do not have one.

Actually they don't. It's totally dependent on whom you are talking to. Say "soul" to a Christian / religionist and it means something very specific.
You don't get to redefine words in common usage and still expect people to understand your special usage.
Say the word "soul" and to many people it has something to do with ethnic music. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post