Disconcerting conversation today at church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Disconcerting conversation today at church.
A fellow member told us that one of their family members was deconverting from the Baptist denomination and converting to Catholicism. Apparently, this person married into a Catholic family, and the spouse wants to christen their child into the church.

The member was absolutely appalled, aghast, and completely disappointed. It was like this member found out the family member had committed some horrific crime. The reaction was very melodramatic I wasn't sure at first if the member was serious.

The member then said that they would be receiving an invitation to the christening; however, they would be writing their family members a letter detailing how they would not be attending because it did not coincide with what they believed.

I really couldn't believe what I was hearing.

There was some more discussion, and then I couldn't take it. I finally spoke up.

The convo went something like this:

KC - There are 33,000 different denominations of Christianity. Catholics are one of those. They believe in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ and that Christ is the only way into heaven. So do we. Sure, we have differing theologies in a lot of other places, but the core beliefs that identify them as Christians are the same. That being said, are the potential problems that may come from this really worth it if you do what you're planning on doing?

Member - They just have many pagan beliefs. I don't want to support it or seem like I'm okay with it.

KC - I get that, but you're not supporting the belief. You're supporting your Christian brothers and sisters in an event that's important to their lives. You're not supporting Catholicism; you're supporting [the family that was christening]. I mean, to be honest, that letter you're planning on writing is pretty offensive.

Member - I'm not worried about offending people. I'm worried about standing up for what's true and not supporting incorrect beliefs.

KC - Think about it, though. How would feel if you got that letter? How would you feel if someone close to you from another denomination wrote a letter like that to you? Wouldn't you be offended?

Member - No I wouldn't.

KC - Yeah, you're a liar. Ok... well then.

(some other people put in their two cents, pretty much backing me but not blatantly saying anything as clear as I do)

KC - Look... again... there are 33,000 different denominations. No one has the right theology, but as long as the core beliefs are there, I really can't see the benefit of separating and isolating yourself while potentially seriously offending [the christening family] who just wanted to invite you to an important event in their lives.

But, I guess everyone's line is different. I suppose you're right because that's you and your convictions. This was just my opinion, and I hope you do what's best for you.

Member - Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to think about it.

Can't wait to see how this pans out over the next few weeks.

Am I ever going to learn to keep my big mouth shut?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like kingschosen's post
21-12-2014, 11:10 PM
RE: Disconcerting conversation today at church.
(21-12-2014 10:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  A fellow member told us that one of their family members was deconverting from the Baptist denomination and converting to Catholicism. Apparently, this person married into a Catholic family, and the spouse wants to christen their child into the church.

The member was absolutely appalled, aghast, and completely disappointed. It was like this member found out the family member had committed some horrific crime. The reaction was very melodramatic I wasn't sure at first if the member was serious.

The member then said that they would be receiving an invitation to the christening; however, they would be writing their family members a letter detailing how they would not be attending because it did not coincide with what they believed.

There was some more discussion, and then I couldn't take it. I finally spoke up.

KC - There are 33,000 different denominations of Christianity. Catholics are one of those. They believe in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ and that Christ is the only way into heaven. So do we. Sure, we have differing theologies in a lot of other places, but the core beliefs that identify them as Christians are the same. That being said, are the potential problems that may come from this really worth it if you do what you're planning on doing?

Member - They just have many pagan beliefs. I don't want to support it or seem like I'm okay with it.

KC - I get that, but you're not supporting the belief. You're supporting your Christian brothers and sisters in an event that's important to their lives. You're not supporting Catholicism; you're supporting [the family that was christening]. I mean, to be honest, that letter you're planning on writing is pretty offensive.

Member - I'm not worried about offending people. I'm worried about standing up for what's true and not supporting incorrect beliefs.

KC - Think about it, though. How would feel if you got that letter? How would you feel if someone close to you from another denomination wrote a letter like that to you? Wouldn't you be offended?

Member - No I wouldn't.

(some other people put in their two cents, pretty much backing me but not blatantly saying anything as clear as I do)

KC - Look... again... there are 33,000 different denominations. No one has the right theology, but as long as the core beliefs are there, I really can't see the benefit of separating and isolating yourself while potentially seriously offending [the christening family] who just wanted to invite you to an important event in their lives.

But, I guess everyone's line is different. I suppose you're right because that's you and your convictions. This was just my opinion, and I hope you do what's best for you.

Faith interferes with thinking, feeling, and common sense. Why do you keep getting surprised by this? Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
21-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Not a shock to an ex-Catholic that moved to Baptist land and found out that Catholics are Satan worshippers. They would have really blown a fuse if I had said the "A" word.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
21-12-2014, 11:12 PM
(21-12-2014 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 10:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  A fellow member told us that one of their family members was deconverting from the Baptist denomination and converting to Catholicism. Apparently, this person married into a Catholic family, and the spouse wants to christen their child into the church.

Member - No I wouldn't.

Faith interferes with thinking, feeling, and common sense. Why do you keep getting surprised by this? Dodgy

My naivety, probably.

21-12-2014, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 11:29 PM by kingschosen.)
(21-12-2014 11:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not a shock to an ex-Catholic that moved to Baptist land and found out that Catholics are Satan worshippers. They would have really blown a fuse if I had said the "A" word.

Sadface

Makes me wonder what they really think of me.

A while back I went ahead and told them I believe in evolution.

21-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Interesting that you say that no one has the right theology. How do you know that?
Some of those theologies are exclusive as well. What if one of them IS the correct one?

I find it a lot easier now that I disregard all theologies from all religions until such time one of them proves to me they are correct.
21-12-2014, 11:25 PM
(21-12-2014 11:15 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Interesting that you say that no one has the right theology. How do you know that?
Some of those theologies are exclusive as well. What if one of them IS the correct one?

I find it a lot easier now that I disregard all theologies from all religions until such time one of them proves to me they are correct.

Because there are no original texts; because of that, all Christian theologies are prone to holes.

I guess one of the denominations *could* have the correct theology, but it's pretty close to a mathematical impossibility.

Moreover, the texts that are believed to be inspired by God are routinely debated by these denominations which, in turn, has created 33,000 different denominations claiming the truth.

Even with the texts that are thought to be inspired, a mutual agreement cannot be found between the denominations and a universal Christian agreement to what the texts say and mean hasn't been reached.

That being said, deductive reasoning leads me to believe that there is a high probability that there is something theologically wrong with all 33,000 denominations and no one can point fingers.

[+] 6 users Like kingschosen's post
21-12-2014, 11:34 PM
I would say that if any theology about an unchanging god in which the theology itself can be altered 33,000 different ways, then it probably didn't originate with the unchanging god.

Your god may exist, but he didn't create 33,000 different versions of bullshit. That's all on you.

And since its all on you, more than likely the god doesn't exist either.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
21-12-2014, 11:45 PM
(21-12-2014 10:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...
It was like this member found out the family member had committed some horrific crime.

I'm inclined to agree.

Knowingly signing up to be a member of criminal organisation could at minimum be viewed as 'aiding and abetting'.

They're not known as The Cafia for no reason. Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
21-12-2014, 11:46 PM
(21-12-2014 11:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not a shock to an ex-Catholic that moved to Baptist land and found out that Catholics are Satan worshippers. They would have really blown a fuse if I had said the "A" word.

Sadface

Makes me wonder what they really think of me.

A while back I went ahead and told them I believe in evolution.

Survey says...

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 10 users Like EvolutionKills's post