Disconcerting conversation today at church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 02:58 AM
RE: Disconcerting conversation today at church.
(21-12-2014 10:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Am I ever going to learn to keep my big mouth shut?

you shouldn't learn to keep your mouth shut, you should keep blabbering to get their disused thinking mind get a jump start
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2014, 02:59 AM
I've never understood the hostility towards Catholicism by protestant or other denominations. I can understand the divorce from the church after wanting to interpret the Bible their way and the persecution that followed, but that's not relevant today. It's the same Christian God, they just believe in good works to go to heaven.

It just boggles my mind how hostile people of different denominations can be towards each other. Sunni vs Shi'a, Mormon vs Protestant vs Catholicism.
[+] 3 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
22-12-2014, 04:46 AM
Long time ago, Jim, a good friend of mine died of Leukemia and named me as executrix of the estate.

So I got on the phone with his aunt (parents were dead) and told her he had died. She lamented for a while about his youth (he was only 32) and then, out of nowhere, asked me for my religion. Not wanting to get into a discussion (I had heard stories about her born again belief) I told her I was catholic. Suddenly there was a loooong silence. I waited it out. Finally she said: "Well, at least we believe in the same god".

I knew she had just about bitten her tongue off to keep from spouting her born again stuff, and quickly got to business.

That was the first time I ever heard that catholics were so hated by the born again... nuts. Frankly, I prefer catholics, at least they don't tend to talk about god constantly but usually keep him at church.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
22-12-2014, 05:21 AM
Back in high school when I was still a Baptist, I remember having a conversation with one of my non-denominational friends and arguing that just because someone is Catholic, that doesn't mean they're not a Christian. Not all Catholics will necessarily go to hell. Some could be saved, but that's between them and God.

I was so proud of my tolerance and open mindedness... Blush

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
22-12-2014, 05:30 AM
(22-12-2014 05:21 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Back in high school when I was still a Baptist, I remember having a conversation with one of my non-denominational friends and arguing that just because someone is Catholic, that doesn't mean they're not a Christian. Not all Catholics will necessarily go to hell. Some could be saved, but that's between them and God.

I used to have this argument with my Baptist grandfather. He would say "You can't get to heaven without a personal relationship with Christ. They go through a priest and pray to Mary and saints and idols but not Christ - they don't have a personal relationship, so they're going to hell."

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
22-12-2014, 06:47 AM
(22-12-2014 05:30 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 05:21 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Back in high school when I was still a Baptist, I remember having a conversation with one of my non-denominational friends and arguing that just because someone is Catholic, that doesn't mean they're not a Christian. Not all Catholics will necessarily go to hell. Some could be saved, but that's between them and God.

I used to have this argument with my Baptist grandfather. He would say "You can't get to heaven without a personal relationship with Christ. They go through a priest and pray to Mary and saints and idols but not Christ - they don't have a personal relationship, so they're going to hell."

We Catholics were taught that the RCC was the true church founded by Jesus when he told Peter "that on this rock ..."

I don't remember ever hearing a sermon damning other religions.

However you should have seen the shit hit the fan when I started dating a Jewish girl, that incident led to my deconversion.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
22-12-2014, 06:49 AM
(22-12-2014 05:30 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I used to have this argument with my Baptist grandfather. He would say "You can't get to heaven without a personal relationship with Christ. They go through a priest and pray to Mary and saints and idols but not Christ - they don't have a personal relationship, so they're going to hell."

This so-loving God character puts so many conditions on who will and will not be saved, and so now, because the Catholics believe the wrong thing it's *their* fault, not God's, that they are condemned to hell, therefore it is right to dislike them...

Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
22-12-2014, 07:03 AM
(21-12-2014 11:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not a shock to an ex-Catholic that moved to Baptist land and found out that Catholics are Satan worshippers. They would have really blown a fuse if I had said the "A" word.

Sadface

Makes me wonder what they really think of me.

A while back I went ahead and told them I believe in evolution.

Gasp

Big Grin

As a Calvanist I would think the congregation would take it in stride as having been preordained that you would accept evolution as true, no?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
22-12-2014, 07:32 AM
(22-12-2014 02:59 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  It just boggles my mind how hostile people of different denominations can be towards each other. Sunni vs Shi'a, Mormon vs Protestant vs Catholicism.

The worst fighting is usually within a particular ideology. It's like being in a family, the worst fights are usually within a family, not between the family and outsiders.

Forget about Protestant vs Catholic...

Catholic vs. Catholic is the real shootout! :-)

I was raised Catholic but converted to surfing over 50 years ago. A few years ago I spent a few months exploring my Catholic heritage online.

Wow, I was amazed at how many Catholics are at each other's throats these days. I suppose the Internet tends to amplify such rhetorical carnage, so what I saw is probably not representative of Catholics at large, who I remember as a pretty sedate group.
[+] 1 user Likes Baba Bozo's post
22-12-2014, 07:38 AM
(21-12-2014 11:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not a shock to an ex-Catholic that moved to Baptist land and found out that Catholics are Satan worshippers. They would have really blown a fuse if I had said the "A" word.

Sadface

Makes me wonder what they really think of me.

A while back I went ahead and told them I believe in evolution.

I have a pretty good idea. I've spent some time on a Baptist group on Facebook. They have very well laid out apologetics explaining why
  • Catholicism is a cult*,
  • evolution isn't backed by "real" science**,
  • atheists are fools***,
  • Calvinists are wrong****, and
  • Baptists are the for really real deal *****.

* True, but missing the point.
** Apparently, you can't look at events in the past to create theories looking to the future, or something. Also, some scientists disagree, and they're the "real" scientists.
*** Don't throw pearls to swine, even if they're making really good points.
**** Don't read Romans 9.
***** Yay!
[+] 8 users Like RobbyPants's post