Disconcerting conversation today at church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 08:06 AM
RE: Disconcerting conversation today at church.
(22-12-2014 04:46 AM)Dom Wrote:  That was the first time I ever heard that catholics were so hated by the born again... nuts. Frankly, I prefer catholics, at least they don't tend to talk about god constantly but usually keep him at church.

Many years ago (back before my deconversion) a devout Catholic friend was killed in a car wreck. I was living 2000 miles away but wanted to do something nice for her family, so I went to the local RCC to purchase a mass card. The priest, noting my Italian-ish last name asked why I didn't attend his church. When I told him that my wife and I attended the local Baptist church the conversation quickly got icy: "You mean you don't believe that this card means anything?" So Catholics (or at least some of their priests) can be every bit as holier-than-thou as the Baptists.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Reading this thread reminds me of just how exclusive religion is. They all have a god that loves you but hates everyone else. Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
22-12-2014, 08:45 AM
(22-12-2014 06:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  We Catholics were taught that the RCC was the true church founded by Jesus when he told Peter "that on this rock ..."

I don't remember ever hearing a sermon damning other religions.

My experience was a bit different; I don't remember any specific denominations being called out but it was crystal clear that Christ had appointed Peter as the head of the church on Earth and the popes were an unbroken line from there. Any who denied the pope were setting themselves up as their own pope and were not following the true teachings and the true church. The impression I got was that they were to be pitied.

All this just shows how inherently divisive basing your views on faith has to be. Faith can "prove" anything you want it to.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
22-12-2014, 08:59 AM
(22-12-2014 07:38 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sadface

Makes me wonder what they really think of me.

A while back I went ahead and told them I believe in evolution.

I have a pretty good idea. I've spent some time on a Baptist group on Facebook. They have very well laid out apologetics explaining why
  • Catholicism is a cult*,
  • evolution isn't backed by "real" science**,
  • atheists are fools***,
  • Calvinists are wrong****, and
  • Baptists are the for really real deal *****.

* True, but missing the point.
** Apparently, you can't look at events in the past to create theories looking to the future, or something. Also, some scientists disagree, and they're the "real" scientists.
*** Don't throw pearls to swine, even if they're making really good points.
**** Don't read Romans 9.
***** Yay!

[Image: Cowbell]

*Replace cowbell with asterisks.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-12-2014, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2014 09:10 AM by kingschosen.)
Yeah, living in South LA, I am surrounded by Catholics and have been my entire life. I always knew there was tension... but this is a whole new perspective.

I also told this person that Catholics have scriptures that back up their claims.

This person said yeah they do, but they twist the text and take things out of context to suit their needs.

I told this person all denominations do that, and if you are going to interpret the Bible literally (this person does), the Catholics do a pretty good job at sticking to it. Look at transubstantiation for instance. Baptist literalist would never believe that it's actually blood and flesh; but if not, how can you be a literalist?

There is hypocrisy on all sides, and you can't judge a person or a denomination without first taking an honest look at what you believe and where the holes may lie in your own theology.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 7 users Like kingschosen's post
22-12-2014, 09:25 AM
(22-12-2014 08:45 AM)unfogged Wrote:  All this just shows how inherently divisive basing your views on faith has to be. Faith can "prove" anything you want it to.

It's perhaps interesting to observe that all ideologies, religious or secular, always divide themselves against other ideologies (we are the best etc) and also subdivide in to factions within the ideology (those people are heretics etc).

As example, consider communism, which is not at all religious (in fact explicitly atheist) but still it sub-divided in to warring factions internally leading to purges, executions, and all of that.

All ideologies are divisive. That's a big clue imho, because it shows the divisiveness arises not from the content of a particular ideology, but from something all ideologies share in common.

What do all ideologies have in common?
[+] 1 user Likes Baba Bozo's post
22-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Bravo for tolerance KC!!!

It is sad that some (not all) people can't see the beyond their viewpoint.

However, you've made your position known. I wouldn't force it as it is someone's life to live and too much "advice" or "interference" especially to the pigheaded is not welcome. Live and let live.

And gordon, stfu with religion at work. Let people do their job without bringing out your tarot cards.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
22-12-2014, 09:49 AM
(22-12-2014 08:45 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 06:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  We Catholics were taught that the RCC was the true church founded by Jesus when he told Peter "that on this rock ..."

I don't remember ever hearing a sermon damning other religions.

My experience was a bit different; I don't remember any specific denominations being called out but it was crystal clear that Christ had appointed Peter as the head of the church on Earth and the popes were an unbroken line from there. Any who denied the pope were setting themselves up as their own pope and were not following the true teachings and the true church. The impression I got was that they were to be pitied.

All this just shows how inherently divisive basing your views on faith has to be. Faith can "prove" anything you want it to.

Our friends over at Suscipe Domine believe that everyone except a handful of "traditional" Catholics is going to Hell. This includes all non-Christians, all Protestants, and most other Catholics. Catholics can be as intolerant as any other religious group.
22-12-2014, 10:03 AM
(22-12-2014 09:49 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 08:45 AM)unfogged Wrote:  My experience was a bit different; I don't remember any specific denominations being called out but it was crystal clear that Christ had appointed Peter as the head of the church on Earth and the popes were an unbroken line from there. Any who denied the pope were setting themselves up as their own pope and were not following the true teachings and the true church. The impression I got was that they were to be pitied.

Our friends over at Suscipe Domine believe that everyone except a handful of "traditional" Catholics is going to Hell. This includes all non-Christians, all Protestants, and most other Catholics. Catholics can be as intolerant as any other religious group.

Forgot about SD. I wonder if they would let ole Zzyzx back in for some bull shooting... hmmm.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-12-2014, 10:05 AM
(22-12-2014 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  There is hypocrisy on all sides, and you can't judge a person or a denomination without first taking an honest look at what you believe and where the holes may lie in your own theology.

Bonus points: during my time at the Den of Baptists, I've seen them more than once admit that their particular views on theology are almost certainly wrong at some point and the important thing is to follow Him...

... and then they go right back to viciously arguing minutiae and telling each other why everyone else is going to hell. It's like they can only put on their agree-to-disagree hats for about 15 seconds at a time, twice a week, tops. Hopefully they didn't waste those precious moments of agreement with Muslims or (gasp) atheists.

(22-12-2014 09:25 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  What do all ideologies have in common?

The successful ones offer free coffee.
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post