Disconcerting conversation today at church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 10:09 AM
RE: Disconcerting conversation today at church.
(22-12-2014 09:49 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Our friends over at Suscipe Domine believe that everyone except a handful of "traditional" Catholics is going to Hell. This includes all non-Christians, all Protestants, and most other Catholics. Catholics can be as intolerant as any other religious group.

God... *those guys*... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck... They're *definitely* going to hell Hobo

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
22-12-2014, 10:11 AM
(22-12-2014 10:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 09:49 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Our friends over at Suscipe Domine believe that everyone except a handful of "traditional" Catholics is going to Hell. This includes all non-Christians, all Protestants, and most other Catholics. Catholics can be as intolerant as any other religious group.

Forgot about SD. I wonder if they would let ole Zzyzx back in for some bull shooting... hmmm.

I doubt it. They are as intolerant as ever. If you're not a traditional Catholic, you're not welcome there. "Error has no rights" and all that.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
22-12-2014, 10:17 AM
(22-12-2014 10:11 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 10:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Forgot about SD. I wonder if they would let ole Zzyzx back in for some bull shooting... hmmm.

I doubt it. They are as intolerant as ever. If you're not a traditional Catholic, you're not welcome there. "Error has no rights" and all that.

I wonder if Jayne ever managed to escape...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-12-2014, 10:19 AM
(22-12-2014 10:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 10:11 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I doubt it. They are as intolerant as ever. If you're not a traditional Catholic, you're not welcome there. "Error has no rights" and all that.

I wonder if Jayne ever managed to escape...

Don't know.

Just found Laramie's page.

http://thehirschfiles.blogspot.com/2014/...genda.html

Saw her there. Scroll down to the comments.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-12-2014, 10:39 AM
(22-12-2014 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I told this person all denominations do that, and if you are going to interpret the Bible literally (this person does), the Catholics do a pretty good job at sticking to it. Look at transubstantiation for instance. Baptist literalist would never believe that it's actually blood and flesh; but if not, how can you be a literalist?

I don't think any of the catholics I grew up with ever believed that. Our catholicism was all about rituals. With lots of holidays added in, which all brought special rituals with them. So it mostly stayed at church, I can't recall any home I visited where people would talk about god. But they all went to mass and knew when to sit, stand or kneel. Mumbled the same answers to the same things the priest said. Sang the same songs. Greeted everyone on the way home. Done for the week, very few prayed before meals.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Religion - just another excuse for some people to say "I'm better than you". Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
22-12-2014, 11:00 AM
(22-12-2014 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, living in South LA, I am surrounded by Catholics and have been my entire life. I always knew there was tension... but this is a whole new perspective.

I also told this person that Catholics have scriptures that back up their claims.

This person said yeah they do, but they twist the text and take things out of context to suit their needs.

I told this person all denominations do that, and if you are going to interpret the Bible literally (this person does), the Catholics do a pretty good job at sticking to it. Look at transubstantiation for instance. Baptist literalist would never believe that it's actually blood and flesh; but if not, how can you be a literalist?

There is hypocrisy on all sides, and you can't judge a person or a denomination without first taking an honest look at what you believe and where the holes may lie in your own theology.

I remember preparing for my first communion and learning that. I thought it was gross.

The nun teaching the class said it happens after you swallow it. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-12-2014, 11:02 AM
(22-12-2014 04:46 AM)Dom Wrote:  Long time ago, Jim, a good friend of mine died of Leukemia and named me as executrix of the estate.

So I got on the phone with his aunt (parents were dead) and told her he had died. She lamented for a while about his youth (he was only 32) and then, out of nowhere, asked me for my religion. Not wanting to get into a discussion (I had heard stories about her born again belief) I told her I was catholic. Suddenly there was a loooong silence. I waited it out. Finally she said: "Well, at least we believe in the same god".

I knew she had just about bitten her tongue off to keep from spouting her born again stuff, and quickly got to business.

That was the first time I ever heard that catholics were so hated by the born again... nuts. Frankly, I prefer catholics, at least they don't tend to talk about god constantly but usually keep him at church.

Back when I was in college and still Catholic, I was approached by two born agains. They launched into their spiel, but after a few sentences, I interrupted them and informed them that I was already Catholic. I remember being quite surprised that this made no difference to them at all and they just kept right on with their insistence that I must be born again. Facepalm

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
22-12-2014, 11:06 AM
(22-12-2014 11:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, living in South LA, I am surrounded by Catholics and have been my entire life. I always knew there was tension... but this is a whole new perspective.

I also told this person that Catholics have scriptures that back up their claims.

This person said yeah they do, but they twist the text and take things out of context to suit their needs.

I told this person all denominations do that, and if you are going to interpret the Bible literally (this person does), the Catholics do a pretty good job at sticking to it. Look at transubstantiation for instance. Baptist literalist would never believe that it's actually blood and flesh; but if not, how can you be a literalist?

There is hypocrisy on all sides, and you can't judge a person or a denomination without first taking an honest look at what you believe and where the holes may lie in your own theology.

I remember preparing for my first communion and learning that. I thought it was gross.

The nun teaching the class said it happens after you swallow it. Tongue

A few years ago, at the Catholic Church i was attending, they had First Communion for a bunch of the kids, and they had the kids express their feelings about it, and posted these comments out in the lobby of the Church. One little girl wrote: "I can't wait to drink Jesus' blood!" I had to wonder: what are they teaching these kids?!?
22-12-2014, 11:09 AM
I've always got a kick out of inter-denominational squabbling. Sort of reminds me of something you'd see on Monty Python or something:

"Okay - There's an undetectable omniscient omnipotent God that created the universe in 6 days. A magic rib woman ate forbidden fruit given to her by a talking snake. All life on earth was wiped out in a flood, save for 2 of every type of animal, and a handful of people on a boat. And God finally had to torture and murder his own son in order to resurrect him so that we might all be cleansed of the sin of that apple-eating rib woman and go to Heaven. On this we ALL agree. But wait - those people over there believe wine turns into actual blood? Well that's just fucking CRAZY TALK!"
[+] 6 users Like Mr. Boston's post