Disconcerting conversation today at church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: Disconcerting conversation today at church.
(22-12-2014 01:05 AM)Gordon Wrote:  I mean, look at you KC: Even you are tearing down your own church to atheists, putting your congregations dirty laundry out on the street. I'd fucking never do that.

You would have to have a congregation first though wouldn't you?Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
22-12-2014, 11:27 AM
(22-12-2014 09:25 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  ...
What do all ideologies have in common?

Humans.

Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-12-2014, 11:46 AM
KC, just curious but have you read "Misquoting Jesus"? He talks about the old manuscripts and whatnot. I read it and it was very fascinating.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
22-12-2014, 12:42 PM
(22-12-2014 11:46 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  KC, just curious but have you read "Misquoting Jesus"? He talks about the old manuscripts and whatnot. I read it and it was very fascinating.

No, I have not.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-12-2014, 01:16 PM
(22-12-2014 07:38 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sadface

Makes me wonder what they really think of me.

A while back I went ahead and told them I believe in evolution.

I have a pretty good idea. I've spent some time on a Baptist group on Facebook. They have very well laid out apologetics explaining why
  • Catholicism is a cult*,
  • evolution isn't backed by "real" science**,
  • atheists are fools***,
  • Calvinists are wrong****, and
  • Baptists are the for really real deal *****.

* True, but missing the point.
** Apparently, you can't look at events in the past to create theories looking to the future, or something. Also, some scientists disagree, and they're the "real" scientists.
*** Don't throw pearls to swine, even if they're making really good points.
**** Don't read Romans 9.
***** Yay!

I went and read Romans 9 again, I haven't read it in a long time. Holy crap! It states god chooses who he will for mercy, then it gives the example of the Pharaoh being god's puppet, states it again even more clearly that there is no free will, realizes how unjust that is, then tells us we are nothing to question god.

That's a pretty disgusting set of verses right there.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
22-12-2014, 01:19 PM
(22-12-2014 01:16 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 07:38 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I have a pretty good idea. I've spent some time on a Baptist group on Facebook. They have very well laid out apologetics explaining why
  • atheists are fools***,

** Apparently, you can't look at events in the past to create theories looking to the future, or something. Also, some scientists disagree, and they're the "real" scientists.
***** Yay!

I went and read Romans 9 again, I haven't read it in a long time. Holy crap! It states god chooses who he will for mercy, then it gives the example of the Pharaoh being god's puppet, states it again even more clearly that there is no free will, realizes how unjust that is, then tells us we are nothing to question god.

Yeah, Romans 9 is about as blatant as you can get.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
22-12-2014, 01:50 PM
(22-12-2014 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I also told this person that Catholics have scriptures that back up their claims.

This person said yeah they do, but they twist the text and take things out of context to suit their needs.

I told this person all denominations do that
, and if you are going to interpret the Bible literally (this person does), the Catholics do a pretty good job at sticking to it.

KC,
You are so close to the truth that you only miss it because you keep your eyes shut. Even you, as a congregation of 1 may be guilty of this error. How do you know that your interpretation of the scripture is true?
Doc
22-12-2014, 01:58 PM
(22-12-2014 01:50 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  KC,
You are so close to the truth that you only miss it because you keep your eyes shut. Even you, as a congregation of 1 may be guilty of this error. How do you know that your interpretation of the scripture is true?
Doc

I've never claimed that nor do I think that.

I do, however, to my knowledge, have my theology reconciled. It is fallible, though... and open to error. I'm open to altering my beliefs if new truths are presented to me. I'm not omniscient and I'll never pretend to be.

But, at this time, I do believe that my understandings of scripture are the best amalgamation of scripture, science, and history; while not harming the inspiration of the Bible and the deity of Christ and the salvation of the beloved.

22-12-2014, 02:25 PM
(22-12-2014 01:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, at this time, I do believe that my understandings of scripture are the best amalgamation of scripture, science, and history

Better than your pasta's ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-12-2014, 03:11 PM
(22-12-2014 01:16 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 07:38 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I have a pretty good idea. I've spent some time on a Baptist group on Facebook. They have very well laid out apologetics explaining why
  • atheists are fools***,

***** Yay!

Yeah, during my time at the Den of Baptists, more than one Calvinist brought that up. He posted a Walking Dead meme about Armenians skipping Romans 9. I suppose there are some mental gymnastics for why they write it off.