Disconcerting conversation today at church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 04:32 PM
RE: Disconcerting conversation today at church.
(22-12-2014 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 03:28 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  KC,
Think about it. You have already determined somehow that there are three great truths, viz., The Bible is inspired, Christ is divine and the beloved are saved. How did you determine those truths if not by indoctrination as a child and from reading the Bible as an adult? How do you know you are not wrong on those truths? If there is no possibility that you could be mistaken, then you are infallible. If there is a chance you could be mistaken, what it would take to convince you that you are? The reams of pages of information just on this site have obviously failed to do so. So what are you waiting for?

Doc

My own personal evidence is something that I can't deny. So yeah... just don't see it happening.

Fair enough. As long as you understand then, that that line of reasoning is applicable to any believer in the world, including the one you argued with. Muslims, Hindus, atheists, can all be forgiven if we have a "personal experience" that somehow convinces us that we have a direct line to the truth. And, if reality contradicts "the experience", then so much the worse for reality.
Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2014, 04:38 PM
(22-12-2014 04:32 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My own personal evidence is something that I can't deny. So yeah... just don't see it happening.

Fair enough. As long as you understand then, that that line of reasoning is applicable to any believer in the world, including the one you argued with. Muslims, Hindus, atheists, can all be forgiven if we have a "personal experience" that somehow convinces us that we have a direct line to the truth. And, if reality contradicts "the experience", then so much the worse for reality.
Doc

Have I ever said anything contrary to that? Have I displayed that behavior in this thread or anywhere on this site?

I've always said I could be wrong and others could be right.

I even ceded the point to that member because of their own person line that they had drawn.

Seriously, Doc... what's with all the preaching and proselytizing to me lately?

Kind of a double standard don't you think?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-12-2014, 04:45 PM
(22-12-2014 04:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 04:32 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Fair enough. As long as you understand then, that that line of reasoning is applicable to any believer in the world, including the one you argued with. Muslims, Hindus, atheists, can all be forgiven if we have a "personal experience" that somehow convinces us that we have a direct line to the truth. And, if reality contradicts "the experience", then so much the worse for reality.
Doc

Have I ever said anything contrary to that? Have I displayed that behavior in this thread or anywhere on this site?

I've always said I could be wrong and others could be right.

I even ceded the point to that member because of their own person line that they had drawn.

Seriously, Doc... what's with all the preaching and proselytizing to me lately?

Kind of a double standard don't you think?

No, my lad, not at all. I just find you an odd duck. You're obviously very intelligent and well read. I just don't see how you can maintain your beliefs despite your knowledge. No proselytizing intended. I'll sign off now, so that others can get the thread back on track.

Regards,

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
22-12-2014, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2014 05:31 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
A bunch of people standing in a room trying to argue which of their versions of a made up story is the one that is true. Fun times. Rolleyes

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
22-12-2014, 05:06 PM
(22-12-2014 03:55 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 03:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah and?

I'm saying no one has found it yet as no one but God has omniscience.

100% truth is impossible for humans. Actual knowledge is impossible for beings without omniscience.

This is why God gives His beloved faith (Eph 2:8).

Then why do you talk about "your own personal evidence" if you just use "faith". You don't even need faith to believe in God. You can refute atheism by asking "Is is possible that you could be wrong about everything you know?". I don't care about faith, I only care about truth. The truth is that everyone is destined for an eternity in hell.

Still an idiot eh? I feel bad for your parents.

22-12-2014, 05:32 PM
(22-12-2014 05:05 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  A bunch of people standing in a room trying to argue which of their versions of a made up story is the one that is true. Fun times. :eyeroll:

What color is a unicorn?

Are phoenixes oviparous or viviparous?

Can centaurs mate with horses? Or humans? Or only other centaurs?

If anyone disagrees with my answers, step outside with me for a minute.

Doc
22-12-2014, 07:36 PM
(22-12-2014 05:32 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  What color is a unicorn?
With the proper application of paint, any color you want. We make special order, just for you Doc.

(22-12-2014 05:32 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Are phoenixes oviparous or viviparous?
Neither they are
[Image: th?id=HN.608054708227607766&pid=...mp;amp;P=0]
Obviously.

(22-12-2014 05:32 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Can centaurs mate with horses? Or humans? Or only other centaurs?
All three, but it works out better for some then others in a "hope for your moms sake she was the centaur" kinda way. Drinking Beverage

22-12-2014, 09:48 PM
(22-12-2014 03:44 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  There has to be one truth. If there isn't, there is no truth.

So, who is diddo97? We have a similar reputation. Consider
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gordon's post
22-12-2014, 09:53 PM
(22-12-2014 09:48 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 03:44 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  There has to be one truth. If there isn't, there is no truth.

So, who is diddo97? We have a similar reputation. Consider

I'm just a steaming pile of shit, preaching the truth, hoping vainly to be disproven.

Truth seeker.
22-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Popcorn

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post