Discovery... Or rediscovery?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Discovery... Or rediscovery?
Are we really discovering new things? Or are we just rediscovering the findings of our ancestors?

No, you don't have to agree with me on everything. You can argue all you want, since I welcome all viewpoints. Come! Come! Let's have a well-reasoned banter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2013, 07:42 PM
RE: Discovery... Or rediscovery?
(30-07-2013 07:21 PM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  Are we really discovering new things? Or are we just rediscovering the findings of our ancestors?

Huh? Can you elaborate please?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2013, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 08:02 PM by ridethespiral.)
That was what the renaissance was about really. Who knows what was lost at the library of Alexandria after the fall but I'm pretty confident that the industrial era was never breached by the ancients. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that some biological knowledge (rare or extinct stuff that was common/around then), astronomical event accounts and certainly a number of interesting insights must still be lost to us.

30-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Do you think the ancients had 20m telescopes, particle accelerators, spacecraft, deep sea submersibles?

Have you some reason to believe that there is some ancient wisdom stored somewhere just waiting to be discovered?

Are you leading up to some lost Atlantis buffoonery?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
07-08-2013, 04:04 AM
(30-07-2013 08:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  Do you think the ancients had 20m telescopes, particle accelerators, spacecraft, deep sea submersibles?

Have you some reason to believe that there is some ancient wisdom stored somewhere just waiting to be discovered?

not at all. I'm just pointing out similarities. For instance, the Vedic idea of multi dimensions and the modern multi-dimensional theory.... Can't be coincidence, right? And what about the ancient structures? We can't even match those (comparatively, of course).

No, you don't have to agree with me on everything. You can argue all you want, since I welcome all viewpoints. Come! Come! Let's have a well-reasoned banter.
07-08-2013, 06:35 AM
(07-08-2013 04:04 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 08:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  Do you think the ancients had 20m telescopes, particle accelerators, spacecraft, deep sea submersibles?

not at all. I'm just pointing out similarities. For instance, the Vedic idea of multi dimensions and the modern multi-dimensional theory.... Can't be coincidence, right? And what about the ancient structures? We can't even match those (comparatively, of course).

Their ideas were human ideas, so of course it can be a coincidence.

As for ancient structures, what do you mean that we can't match those?
[Image: tallest-buildings-in-the-world.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
07-08-2013, 10:19 AM
(07-08-2013 06:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 04:04 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  not at all. I'm just pointing out similarities. For instance, the Vedic idea of multi dimensions and the modern multi-dimensional theory.... Can't be coincidence, right? And what about the ancient structures? We can't even match those (comparatively, of course).

Their ideas were human ideas, so of course it can be a coincidence.

As for ancient structures, what do you mean that we can't match those?
[Image: tallest-buildings-in-the-world.jpg]

Not to mention the engineering feats you don't realize how huge of an engineering feat they actually are.
Such as the railroad across the Tibetan Plateau.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
07-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Not to say that we add functionality to our structures, the pyramids are just a bunch of rocks for burying a dead guy, impressive yes, but not ti useful. The only old structure I know it's amazing and useful are the Roman aqueducts.

I wouldn't be surprised that some of the old esoteric ideas inspired the new scientific ones. Lets not forget that many dimensions or the multiverse are still only theories with little if any experimental evidence, they do fit the data, but we can't say it's fact.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]