Discrepancy between education and religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 12:43 PM by Oxiate.)
Discrepancy between education and religion?
With a lot of people i know there seems to be a pattern with their parents, mine especially. There is a lot of encouragement by parents to get higher education degrees, my own family told me that if I didn't go to college, they would kick me out the house unless I started paying rent after I graduated from high school. And of course when you have a higher amount of education, you think more critically. It should be no surprise to any of us that the majority of scientists or either deists, agnostic, or atheists. However, there is also an exception to religion. We're encouraged to think critically in every other facet of our lives, in our careers, in who vote for, in who we choose as our life partners, but not in religion.

It continually amazes me when members of my family will applaud me for doing well in school and having a debate with them about politics or a social issue, but the minute religion enters the conversation they immediately dismiss the conversation. My family is mostly Roman Catholic and my grandmother is the most religious member of my family. But I also consider her the more interesting person to talk to in my family. We agree on most topics, the only things she really disagrees with me on are gay marriage and the existence of god. I use the skills that she has always encouraged me to use to draw this conclusion that there is no solid evidence for god, and she thinks I'm horrible for thinking it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply