Discriminating

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-01-2011, 06:59 PM
RE: Discriminating
Hi Monkeywithcrayons. I am No. J. I am a nonpolice officer, nonpriest, nonaccountant, nonpolitician, nonrace-car driver, nonscuba diver. You are right. This is stupid. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't plan to bring up the topic of Religion or Politics in the work place, but should I be asked my religion, my political status, or any other sort of question, I will happily answer it, no matter the location. Honestly is my policy.
28-01-2011, 09:16 PM

(28-01-2011 06:59 PM)No J. Wrote:  Hi Monkeywithcrayons. I am No. J. I am a nonpolice officer, nonpriest, nonaccountant, nonpolitician, nonrace-car driver, nonscuba diver. You are right. This is stupid. Tongue

Heh, I just realized that the terms "nonsmoker" and "nondrinker" are common. I guess it only applies to vices? Is atheism a vice???? Huh lol
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 09:24 PM
(28-01-2011 09:16 PM)monkeywithcrayons Wrote:  
(28-01-2011 06:59 PM)No J. Wrote:  Hi Monkeywithcrayons. I am No. J. I am a nonpolice officer, nonpriest, nonaccountant, nonpolitician, nonrace-car driver, nonscuba diver. You are right. This is stupid. Tongue

Heh, I just realized that the terms "nonsmoker" and "nondrinker" are common. I guess it only applies to vices? Is atheism a vice???? Huh lol
When used in that context, it makes religion seem like the vice..........
28-01-2011, 09:28 PM

(28-01-2011 09:24 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  
(28-01-2011 09:16 PM)monkeywithcrayons Wrote:  

When used in that context, it makes religion seem like the vice..........

So it does....
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 10:40 PM
(28-01-2011 07:10 AM)BnW Wrote:  If you work in a place where people ask you to say grace, ask if you believe in evolution, etc., then you have a problem with where you work. If, however, you are in the US, you've also got a potential law suit. I'm not a big boat rocker myself and things like law suits are, to me, a last resort. If you leave a job it could take a long time to find another one, so sometimes you need to suck things up. However, I would draw the line at saying grace. I wouldn't complain about it, but I wouldn't participate in it either. And, if someone gave me a hard time about it, I'd consider discussing it with HR and making sure that they knew that I was aware of the laws against religious discrimination.

I agree with you in principle, but the reality is somewhat different. This is a very small business in the rusty belt buckle of the bible belt. There is no HR, no chain of command, no following of such rules. If I were to raise a stink about it, I'd be promptly shown the door. I know they can't fire me for that, but they would find a reason. I'm in an unfortunate situation currently where I HAVE to have THIS job. If I were to quit, we'd be homeless, and I'd probably find the same situation anywhere else I'd try to go. It's a whole culture here, everyone assumes that everyone else is Christian. I'm actually in the best of all possible bad scenarios. I don't say grace, I look at the floor, and keep quiet. I've never pretended to believe in what they do, but I don't voice my opinions either. I'm not going to lie though if someone asks me a dumb question like "do you believe in evolution". No one has ever gone so far as to ask me whether I go to church or what I believe. If they do, I will just answer with "I don't think these sort of discussions are appropriate at work." I don't participate in their hateful political discussions either. I just walk away.

Do I feel good about all of this? No. It's really sucking the life from me. But the reality is that I have to suck it up for now. We have plans for the not too distant future to move to another state far away from this part of the world.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
31-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Sounds like you are dealing with it in the most realistic way possible. I can tell you what your rights are on paper but the world of a text book or court opinion is vastly different then real life. The fact that you may have a remedy in the future for a Title XII Employment Discrimination claim obviously does not pay your bills in the near term.

What state do you live in and where are you looking to go? If you can manage it, I highly recommend moving to the Northeastern US, between DC and Maine. And, the closer you get to NYC, the happier you will probably be. Of course, the cost of living here is obscene but you're not constantly dealing with religious fanatics. We have them, but they are a large minority (although you'll get more of them in rural Maryland and PA - something to be aware of).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
31-01-2011, 09:43 AM
I was going to ask trillium the same question. I'm also in the Bible belt, but I've found that there's lots of Bible belts all over the U.S.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
31-01-2011, 09:29 PM
(31-01-2011 08:18 AM)BnW Wrote:  What state do you live in and where are you looking to go? If you can manage it, I highly recommend moving to the Northeastern US, between DC and Maine. And, the closer you get to NYC, the happier you will probably be. Of course, the cost of living here is obscene but you're not constantly dealing with religious fanatics. We have them, but they are a large minority (although you'll get more of them in rural Maryland and PA - something to be aware of).

I'm in East Texas. I actually grew up in the northeast. I've only lived here for 2 years or so. It's been an eye opening experience to say the least. Wink

We're considering Colorado or somehwhere in the Pacific northwest. We want to live in a large metro area where we have lots of opportunities for things; jobs, cultural activities, outdoorsy things, stuff like that. We've both experienced the kind of discrimination you get from not being from "round here" so we feel like a large city would suit us at this point.

The area where I grew up is pretty economically dead. We visited there this past spring, and it seemed like a paradise compared to the deadness that is here. All that matters here is church and high school sports. We're not exactly into either of those things. Wink

Even Texans make fun of the craphole that is East Texas, if that tells you anything.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
01-02-2011, 06:04 AM
It's been 10 years, but I spent a lot of time in Portland, OR and it was really nice. I could live there. Not expensive by northeast standards, but not cheap either. At least, that's the way it was 10 years ago. I hear northern California is really nice too. In fact, I think that whole area is really nice.

If my family wasn't here, I'd probably have fled to the Pacific Northwest by now myself. I actually had someone contact me about a job out there a few years ago but I turned it down flat. I'm a little tied to this area.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost