Discrimination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2010, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2010 08:16 AM by omega21.)
Discrimination
Have there been times where you all have been discriminated against for being an atheist?

Here are my examples:

1. Lost a few friends
2. Family doesen't really talk to me.

That is it for me. You all?

P.S. Who are the people behind "The Thinking Atheist?" Such as this website, facebook page, and youtube page. Is it the people you see when you click on "What WE Believe" on this website?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2010, 08:31 AM
RE: Discrimination
(19-06-2010 08:13 AM)omega21 Wrote:  P.S. Who are the people behind "The Thinking Atheist?" Such as this website, facebook page, and youtube page. Is it the people you see when you click on "What WE Believe" on this website?

I find it ironic that the first thing I thought to compare to was God... They made the forums and kind of buggered off and nobody knows who they are.

In fact, can we even prove that TTA was created? Perhaps it was the product of an e-Big Bang Tongue

19-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Yeah but the people behind TTA are active on Facebook and youtube. They keep coming out with new youtube videos and posting on Facebook.
19-06-2010, 12:03 PM
My introduction here on TTA was on a thread of the same nature:

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/show...711#pid711

Just visiting.

-SR
19-06-2010, 02:19 PM
thanks for the link
19-06-2010, 03:17 PM

I was invited over to dinner the other night by a couple of Christian women because of my lack of belief. I've been pretty hard on religion in my facebook postings so I'm not sure why these women (old high school classmates) thought that I could be converted. So in this case, I experienced the opposite of discrimination. They filled $30 in my gas tank and treated me to a lovely dinner at one of their homes and gave me a study bible. I talked with them for about four hours over wine and food and because my car broke down, I even got a ride home. I'm fascinated by these people. These ladies were youthful (mid 40's), beautiful, and seemingly intelligent but with no real knowledge about basic facts of history, anthropology, and biology. Most atheists wouldn't have the patience to listen to what I heard, but as an educational experience, it was very interesting--not so much the belief, but the thought process and what led them to make these conclusions. Maybe this experience doesn't count as the opposite of discrimination but they did spend about $60 on me all together just because I don't believe in God. I'm starting to think that there's a lot of money to be made using this angle.
Has anybody heard from Packilvania lately? I haven't seen him here and I can't find Christ Sightings on the web anymore. I hope they aren't secretly picking us off one by one.
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2010, 04:32 PM
hammm....

Last year in the last day of our year trip we were in Jerusalem and the days' theam was "I and Judeaism" (every day had a theam-"I and myself", "I and the group", "I and the community", "I and the country", "I and the state" and the last-"I and Judeaism").
We were told by our guide to take 3 main things which is important for the Judeaism and Jewish people. My group members took "believing in god". I was so angry about it because I really felt my friends don't consider me as Jewish because I don't believe in God. finnally it ended by me saying "everybody who believes in god is stupid" and then apologizing about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-06-2010, 01:03 PM

My mom doesn't even bring up religion around me ever. My sister gets really annoyed when I say "Oh my god!" It's quite funny actually.

But the main thing I've been told was that I'm going to hell... Even my mom told me I was...
21-06-2010, 09:35 PM

High school was bad because none of the kids could grasp the concept of where I was coming from. Certain friends wouldn't let me stay the night at their house on Saturdays, because they didn't want to tell their parents that I don't go to church. Any subject I would speak my opinion about, it always somehow got turned to how it didn't matter because I didn't believe. And then almost every kid in the class would just argue with me about being an Atheist until I would sit there and not speak anymore. Then I'd be the most hated kid in school that week.
When it comes to my family, my mom is in complete denial. My sister doesn't like it, and at family gatherings the first thing she tells me is not to bring up "my choice". My other sister doesn't care, and I'm pretty sure my brother is the only other Atheist in my family. My stepfather and I haven't spoken in a long time, since I stopped believing, but that was my choice. I guess I discriminated him Big Grin
So far, the only religious people I've never felt discriminated by is some Catholics. They've all told me that I'm not less of a person, and I'm a good person for not having god in my life. And the only time I've felt really discriminated was by George Bush, when he said we don't deserve rights because "this is one nation under god". Last time I checked this was a democracy, not a theocracy
22-06-2010, 01:31 AM

I work for someone that is a Christian and thinks everyone else should be too. I just refuse to discuss religion with her as I think she is suspicious of my views and is fishing. It is really annoying when she says she will "pray for me."