Discrimination at School?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 06:39 PM
RE: Discrimination at School?!
I enjoyed RE. Mainly because our teacher (The Reverend Walsh) chatted about ethics and philosophy and didn't take the bible too seriously.

I wonder what the future history books will consider to be Tony Blair's greatest crime against humanity... supporting the Iraq war or introducing myth-based schools.

Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2015, 07:53 PM
(20-07-2015 05:36 PM)TheBritishAnonym Wrote:  Yes, Big Grin RE for me is good for opening up my mind, realising all the BS that they teach you and try to make you take it all in...
I also understand that these Bible stories (well, at least some of them) has a strong meaning behind them, and they pretty much exist to give a "life lesson" for those who don't know the things written in it already. But for me, the things written in the Bible aren't really new, as they are part of our everyday life. However most people at my age don't realise it, so the Bible kinda helps them to understand these things... Smile ... And also, it's full of meaningless BS... xD But it's quite a good thing to have a laugh at...

You have necromancy in your everyday life?

SWEET!

I have GOT to move to the UK. (I knew Harry Potter was real...)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
22-07-2015, 10:02 PM
You have a mandatory religious course in a religious school. And you seem suprised by this? The school was made for Catholics so why should it not have expect students to learn about Catholicism? Are your parents Catholic? I can't see how this is discrimination, at least not gross discrimination.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
23-07-2015, 06:38 AM
My wife attended a Christian high school. The RE lessons weren't ever good but the students really had enough when they had to waste way too much time on them during grade 11 and 12 while trying to obtain their overall position score for university entrance. RE was compulsory but did not count towards their scores. The essays the students had to write during this time for the subject were often just a little halfarsed

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-07-2015, 07:52 AM
(22-07-2015 10:02 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  You have a mandatory religious course in a religious school. And you seem suprised by this? The school was made for Catholics so why should it not have expect students to learn about Catholicism? Are your parents Catholic? I can't see how this is discrimination, at least not gross discrimination.

Not only in a Catholic School you need to study RE, but in all schools in the UK. So for people who aren't religious/has an other religion other than Christianity, it is discrimination, because we have to study Christian things...
My father is an atheist as well, and my mother is... is a Christian...
[+] 1 user Likes TheBritishAnonym's post
23-07-2015, 09:43 AM
And that, folks, is why fighting for the First Amendment is (and was) so important, "thereby erecting a wall of separation between Church and State."

Still, TBA, take advantage of it. Learn what you can. You might as well!

See how many of us on here, because we were former Christians, know so much about the Bible that we're able to easily refute the fundamentalist nonsense they try to post here? Without a proper religious education, you won't be able to do the same... and when some fundie jerk says, "Well the only reason you don't believe the Bible is because you haven't read the Bible", you won't be able to retort, "No, the reason I don't believe it is because I HAVE read it." I not only had my childhood education in Christianity (before giving the faith up at age 17), but I took a 2-semester college course on the History of the Bible, which was probably my most interesting non-science course in university.

I have never regretted any of the knowledge I gained about religion. Once you get over the annoyance of being forced to do this (there are books I still hate to this day, which may well be good novels, but I'll never know if they're good because I was forced to read them in highschool, so I hate them, even though I love reading... My Antonia comes to mind), I think in the long run you'll be very glad for some of the knowledge you gain about Just How Crazy Religion Turns Out To Be™.

Cheers! Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
24-07-2015, 01:30 AM
(23-07-2015 07:52 AM)TheBritishAnonym Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 10:02 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  You have a mandatory religious course in a religious school. And you seem suprised by this? The school was made for Catholics so why should it not have expect students to learn about Catholicism? Are your parents Catholic? I can't see how this is discrimination, at least not gross discrimination.

Not only in a Catholic School you need to study RE, but in all schools in the UK. So for people who aren't religious/has an other religion other than Christianity, it is discrimination, because we have to study Christian things...
My father is an atheist as well, and my mother is... is a Christian...

Is the course specifically a christian theology course? I know in Ontario, we have a mandatory world religions course in grade 11, which is absolute shit, but it deals with all different religions. My Catholic School had it, and the other years we had mandatory Catholic religion courses, which were also shit. They were so bad, I can't imagine being an atheist and getting any useful tool for going against the church from that course.
I think it definitely needs re-looking at.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
24-07-2015, 05:01 AM
(23-07-2015 07:52 AM)TheBritishAnonym Wrote:  Not only in a Catholic School you need to study RE, but in all schools in the UK. So for people who aren't religious/has an other religion other than Christianity, it is discrimination, because we have to study Christian things.

It's not discrimination when christianity is the state religion.

The UK has no constitution that separates church and state.

Undecided

28-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Hi TBA,
Yep, unfortunately UK schools are required to teach RE, and "faith schools" can choose to only teach about their own set of fairy tales. In a non faith school parents can withdraw their child from RE lessons but it sounds like you're stuck for now.

I wonder why you "have" to get a grade C? If you want to stay in education can you not bin your current school after GCSE and go to a local sixth form college? In which case concentrate on the subjects you enjoy and make sure you get the grades you need to follow that path.

Your options for dealing with the Catholic dogma are twofold, either;
1. Keep your head down and do as little as you can to get through it.
2. Look on it as a chance to hone your debating skills; learn about other theologies, ancient history (epic of gilgmaesh, the roman god Mithras etc), philosophy, and gain a reputation for asking difficult questions.

Given that you had a tough time at your last school it's maybe wise to think about how you'd feel sticking your head above the parapet in this school.
One of my local Catholic schools contained a particular good brother who used to smack the difficult kids with a big stick. Thankfully they can't do that anymore, but being an outspoken atheist in a faith school is never going to be an easy ride.
Good Luck!