Discrimination by private businesses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2015, 06:47 PM
RE: Discrimination by private businesses
(02-07-2015 11:55 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  Fortunately the Supreme Court has already addressed this issue. A business that serves the public must serve the entire public. It does have the right to protect its business by turning away disruptive customers, etc but it cannot turn someone away because of what they are I.e. minority.

Can you link to that decision?

I know that some forms of discrimination are barred, but I also know that in many states, it isn't.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2015, 08:14 AM
(02-07-2015 06:43 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(29-06-2015 11:32 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Of course then you get to the signs that used to be all over that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." You don't see those much any more.

Having managed businesses in SoCal for 15 years, I was not bothered at all by telling obstreperous customers where the door was. If you came into my custom framing shop wanting to frame a WBC "God hates fags" sign, I would have informed you that your money wasn't worth that much to me, and swallowed the loss.

I think businesses should be allowed to discriminate so long as life or property loss are not on the line. I also think those businesses should collect the consequences of such decisions in the form of protests outside their stores, organized boycotts, and so forth.
That is not discrimination. That is refusing to partake in hate speech. You have the right to refuse that. If the same customer brought you something not offensive you wouldn't turn him away. You are objecting to the content not the person. But if two couples asked you to frame their wedding photos and one was straight and one was gay, you would be on a slippery slope refusing the gay couple (or black, mixed race, etc) because you have already demonstrated that wedding pictures are within the scope of your business. You are not objecting to the content. You are objecting to the person because of something they have no control over. People don't choose their race or gender or sexual orientation. That is the essence of discrimination.
[+] 3 users Like ThatAtheistChick's post
03-07-2015, 08:26 AM
(02-07-2015 06:47 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(02-07-2015 11:55 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  Fortunately the Supreme Court has already addressed this issue. A business that serves the public must serve the entire public. It does have the right to protect its business by turning away disruptive customers, etc but it cannot turn someone away because of what they are I.e. minority.

Can you link to that decision?

I know that some forms of discrimination are barred, but I also know that in many states, it isn't.
http://www.business2community.com/trends...on-0766551

This gives a good overview.
03-07-2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks, TAC.