Discussion on the invalidity of Mormonism

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
09-08-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: Discussion on the invalidity of Mormonism
Alla has a few things going on here.

The Backfire Effect: "When people react to disconfirming evidence by strengthening their beliefs."

It's a catch 22 with the Backfire Effect. Christians are told that their beliefs will be challenged and tested by others but it's actually god testing their religious beliefs. It only reconfirms everything they've been taught.

Perhaps the Semmelweis Effect: "Is a metaphor for the reflex-like tendency to reject new evidence or new knowledge because it contradicts established norms, beliefs or paradigms."

Here's another one.

Escalation of Commitment: Also called the sunk cost fallacy, " has been used to describe the phenomenon where people justify increased investment in a decision, based on the cumulative prior investment, despite new evidence suggesting that the cost, starting today, of continuing the decision outweighs the expected benefit."

As I mentioned back a few pages, it's far and away easier to admit one's child, brother, father or mother is a serial killer than to admit one's religious belief is a bunch of hooey.

A little off topic. Here's an interesting list of cognitive biases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
09-08-2015, 10:56 AM
(09-08-2015 10:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Alla has a few things going on here.

The Backfire Effect: "When people react to disconfirming evidence by strengthening their beliefs."

It's a catch 22 with the Backfire Effect. Christians are told that their beliefs will be challenged and tested by others but it's actually god testing their religious beliefs. It only reconfirms everything they've been taught.

Perhaps the Semmelweis Effect: "Is a metaphor for the reflex-like tendency to reject new evidence or new knowledge because it contradicts established norms, beliefs or paradigms."

Here's another one.

Escalation of Commitment: Also called the sunk cost fallacy, " has been used to describe the phenomenon where people justify increased investment in a decision, based on the cumulative prior investment, despite new evidence suggesting that the cost, starting today, of continuing the decision outweighs the expected benefit."

As I mentioned back a few pages, it's far and away easier to admit one's child, brother, father or mother is a serial killer than to admit one's religious belief is a bunch of hooey.

A little off topic. Here's an interesting list of cognitive biases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

Brilliant, well said!

Bowing

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-08-2015, 04:02 PM
and lets summarize it with a flow chart Big Grin

[Image: 20f5k7n.png]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned already in this thread, but there isn't any example of Judaism being practiced in any of these native civilizations until the 1500's, there is no resemblance to the religion that they practiced and the psuedo-Judeo Christianity that Joseph Smith bloviates about in his tall tales. There is zero cultural evidence for anything but nature-based gods, they had no concept of Christ (are you freaking kidding me?)

Christianity was forced upon the native peoples of meso-America at the point of the conquistador's swords and guns, not a ghost Jesus. Facepalm

There is a total absence of any kind of Christianity in the Americas up until the Spanish conquests. Mormon claims to the contrary simply can't get by this obvious fact.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-08-2015, 09:14 PM
(09-08-2015 08:02 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Don't know if this has been mentioned already in this thread, but there isn't any example of Judaism being practiced in any of these native civilizations until the 1500's, there is no resemblance to the religion that they practiced and the psuedo-Judeo Christianity that Joseph Smith bloviates about in his tall tales. There is zero cultural evidence for anything but nature-based gods, they had no concept of Christ (are you freaking kidding me?)

Christianity was forced upon the native peoples of meso-America at the point of the conquistador's swords and guns, not a ghost Jesus. Facepalm

There is a total absence of any kind of Christianity in the Americas up until the Spanish conquests. Mormon claims to the contrary simply can't get by this obvious fact.

Very good point....very obvious....although I hadn't thought of it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2015, 09:21 PM
(09-08-2015 04:02 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  and lets summarize it with a flow chart Big Grin

O My!

I didn't know it was so bizzare and complicated.

Surely they don't seriously believe all this shit?

Did Joe make all this up?
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
09-08-2015, 09:36 PM
(09-08-2015 09:21 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Did Joe make all this up?

Yes. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-08-2015, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 09:45 PM by Cosmic Discourse.)
(09-08-2015 09:21 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 04:02 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  and lets summarize it with a flow chart Big Grin

O My!

I didn't know it was so bizzare and complicated.

Surely they don't seriously believe all this shit?

Did Joe make all this up?
In varying degrees, but a majority of the 'faithful' adherents understand a healthy portion of that flow chart. I may still have some drawings from old lesson plans in a drawer somewhere. The lessons I helped teach were geared more towards new converts and those preparing for baptism, so they purposely weren't as thorough as the one you see here.

Joseph Smith utilized the Doctrine & Covenants as his 'make changes on the fly' tool, which of course became a revered text of the church, because no one questions/questioned the patriarchal leadership.

In the modern era, the doctrine doesn't get modified too often, outside of the occasional decree through press release. But in the past, both the BOM and the D&C were heavily revised.
[+] 2 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
10-08-2015, 04:39 AM
I'm a pacifist.

Yet I have a confession to make.

I'd like to smash Joseph Smith's face in. He was such an ignorant, sanctimonious worthless cunt of a human being. A manipulative, lying, selfish little asshole.

If I've been too nice to him, please tell me. I am a conservative, unemotional sort of guy, after all.

Ah...that's better.
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
10-08-2015, 06:23 PM
(10-08-2015 04:39 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'm a pacifist.

Yet I have a confession to make.

I'd like to smash Joseph Smith's face in. He was such an ignorant, sanctimonious worthless cunt of a human being. A manipulative, lying, selfish little asshole.

If I've been too nice to him, please tell me. I am a conservative, unemotional sort of guy, after all.

Ah...that's better.

Hmm, I guess you knew him very well. Thumbsup

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED